Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Shortshifter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortshifter?

I just bought a 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback with a D16Z6 motor and a Y20 transmission. I use to have a Prelude but sold it. I was shopping for a shortshifter and only found two companies that really caught my attention. Skunk2 (Dual Bend) and B&M Racing (Racing Model with billet aluminum pivot bracket). Has anyone bought one? Which one is better? I want really short throws and a shifter that sits lower too. I think it makes the car more fun to drive. Also, does anybody make a custom one? Forbidden Motorsports made one for the Prelude and that was the best one period. Anybody know? Thanks!
Old 03-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shortshifter? (mypreludeissexy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mypreludeissexy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just bought a 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback with a D16Z6 motor and a Y20 transmission. I use to have a Prelude but sold it. I was shopping for a shortshifter and only found two companies that really caught my attention. Skunk2 (Dual Bend) and B&M Racing (the expensive one that is like $150 or so). Has anyone bought one? Which one is better? I want really short throws and a shifter that sits lower too. I think it makes the car more fun to drive. Also, does anybody make a custom one? Forbidden Motorsports made one for the Prelude and that was the best one period. Anybody know? Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.ebay.com

I paid $10 shipped for my dual-bend and it works great, don't waste big money on the real stuff when the imitation is the same thing (the name brands aren't gonna have a shorter throw than the off-brands because the exhaust is right below the shifter in a EG hatch like yours so it can only be so short.)
Old 03-08-2008, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Shortshifter? (Dasfinc)

just if you buy a cheap short throw, i hope ur not the kind of peron that slams gears like a mad man be cause u will snap the **** right off the shifter
Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shortshifter? (egmatt93)

i got the single bend jg short shifter...angles towards the driver...sits really low almost under the console...and works great too! love it...i think the skunk2 sits too high up there...higher than stock...love the single bends though...look around for a jg shifter
Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the B&N short shifter for 150? wow. go to nopi. my cousin got a b&n dual bend in his eh2. sits real low. IMO"the throw seem longer". but i got a dual bend skunk 2 paid 120 for the shifter and ****, on h-t good deal but as i was saying. i like the skunk2. it's not as LOW that you want but its below the stock height of the shifter and my option the throw was shorter. or if you want it to be hella short just cut it then retread the shifter.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shortshifter? (This Scene Sucks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by This Scene Sucks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">remind me not to drive near you in traffic.

the ebay ones are made of cheap aluminum and i broke one with my bare hands. its pot metal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd like to see the one you broke with your bare hands, the one I received is holding up just fine and its seen track use as well.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dasfinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd like to see the one you broke with your bare hands, the one I received is holding up just fine and its seen track use as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I seen it personally about 3 times where people’s eBay shifter snapped and there has been many incidents here on H-T where members reported that their eBay shifter snapped

So id defiantly stay away from eBay you get what you pay for...

Also if i was you while your getting a short shifter i would recommend to get a energy bushing kit IMO well worth it
Old 03-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

Default Re: Shortshifter? (FastLife617)

Never had a problem with any ebay bought shifter in 6 years..... I guess I just don't shift Paul Walker style, like some of you.

I'll recommend the B&M or the Password shifter. If you get a shifter, go ahead and do it right. Buy the shifter bushings also.

Energy Suspension and Password sell some. The Energy Suspension ones are cheaper, been around longer, and considerably better. I bought a set for every Civic and Integra that I have owned.

http://www.sportcompactonly.co...6.htm
Old 03-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shortshifter? (FastLife617)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FastLife617 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I seen it personally about 3 times where people’s eBay shifter snapped and there has been many incidents here on H-T where members reported that their eBay shifter snapped

So id defiantly stay away from eBay you get what you pay for...

Also if i was you while your getting a short shifter i would recommend to get a energy bushing kit IMO well worth it</TD></TR></TABLE>

I strongly agree with you there, I am using an Energy suspension kit as well regardless of me using an Ebay shortshifter.

but as the post above me mentioned 'not all of us shift paul walker' style, and that will drop your trans just as quickly as you could snap your ebay shifter.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dasfinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but as the post above me mentioned 'not all of us shift paul walker' style, and that will drop your trans just as quickly as you could snap your ebay shifter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had friends break B&M shifters, just as much as Ebay ones. The actual shift **** can be a factor, also.

My buddies at NextGear INC. designed and manufactured a small set of 1lb shift *****. Those could really break most shifters.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2079323&page=1

So, there are two factors in this thread as to why people can break shifters.

1. Type of metal.
2. What shift **** you have. (Some of you with those counter weighted ***** would be surprised.)
Old 03-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you considered or looked at http://www.twmperformance.com
I got one for my gsr hatch, I'm waiting for it in the mail. Ill post up pics and reviews of it once I get it installed.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Shortshifter? (VTECth1s)

So it is basically down to B&M, Skunk2, and that one ^. Let me know when you get the shifter for your GSR hatch because the shifter looks like it could be good. Hey EKLanta, which B&M shifter did your cousin get? Because I am talking about the one that has the little plate and I don't think it is a dual bend. Yeah, just checked it. It is not the dual bend one. It is part number 45074. JG shifter? Regardless of what shifter I get though, I will buy the bushings for it. Oh yeah, does it make a difference for the bushings or the shifter if my car has VTEC? Reason I am asking is because on the link that .Radical_Edward. posted, it tells you that the bushings are different for the VTEC model Civics vs. the non-VTEC model Civics. Don't think it matters for the shifter does it? Thanks for all the replys!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mypreludeissexy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So it is basically down to B&M, Skunk2, and that one ^. Let me know when you get the shifter for your GSR hatch because the shifter looks like it could be good. Hey EKLanta, which B&M shifter did your cousin get? Because I am talking about the one that has the little plate and I don't think it is a dual bend. Yeah, just checked it. It is not the dual bend one. It is part number 45074. JG shifter? Regardless of what shifter I get though, I will buy the bushings for it. Oh yeah, does it make a difference for the bushings or the shifter if my car has VTEC? Reason I am asking is because on the link that .Radical_Edward. posted, it tells you that the bushings are different for the VTEC model Civics vs. the non-VTEC model Civics. Don't think it matters for the shifter does it? Thanks for all the replys!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm 99% sure thats crap since all B-series transmissions mount up the same (I can't imagine why they would have different shift linkage.)
Old 03-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

I'm 99% sure thats crap since all B-series transmissions mount up the same (I can't imagine why they would have different shift linkage.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not needing a different linkage.

is a different size on b and d-series transmissions. Just that part, makes a difference. Everything else fits fine.

IE: if you have a D-series you need the d-series one and like-wise for the b-series.

Ignore the VTEC v.s. Non VTEC part. Just get the one for the transmission/engine you have.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shortshifter? (.Radical_Edward.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .Radical_Edward. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's not needing a different linkage.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh you know what I was getting at, Lol I just phrased it wrong

"I'm 99% sure all B-series shift linkage is the same, I can't imagine why they would be different bushings since they are all the same"

is better
Old 03-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

"I'm 99% sure all B-series shift linkage is the same, I can't imagine why they would be different bushings since they are all the same"
</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAha, you know the dolt making the website doesn't understand that part. look at the part numbers for the VTEC and NON-VTEC one, I bet it's the same.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .Radical_Edward. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

HAha, you know the dolt making the website doesn't understand that part. look at the part numbers for the VTEC and NON-VTEC one, I bet it's the same. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ironically, the shifter bushings I received from Energy are labeled on the OEM packing "84-87 civic stabilizer bushings" , but are identical to what I'm replacing....
Old 03-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

Ironically, the shifter bushings I received from Energy are labeled on the OEM packing "84-87 civic stabilizer bushings" , but are identical to what I'm replacing....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess that happens sometimes. I'm generally happy as long as the part fits and works.

I've only ran into one time where on my turbo D-series Del Sol, I got sent the b-series stabilizers. The part that I pictured was a different width, so I had to send it back and have it replaced with the right part.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by This Scene Sucks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tranny doesnt determine the shifter, it determines the linkage. B/D use the same shifter. wow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have a point? this is already known and noone has said otherwise.....
Old 03-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by This Scene Sucks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

remind me not to drive near you in traffic.

the ebay ones are made of cheap aluminum and i broke one with my bare hands. its pot metal.

the b&m is billet steel. its heavy for a reason. to make your shifts more positive. i have had dozens of hondas, but the b&m shifter i have has transferred from car to car. i wont get rid of it.</TD></TR></TABLE>I am the same way I have a B&M and won't get rid of it at all I love it and as Dasfinc stated do not listen to what he said that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard who says something like that. Its like stating get the Cheap wheel studs when running slicks at the track they won't break off O no lol. Listin to me get the good stuff and you will like it better I don't like Skunk2 but some people do
Old 03-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by This Scene Sucks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tranny doesnt determine the shifter, it determines the linkage. B/D use the same shifter. wow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

We already knew that. What's your point? We weren't even talking about that.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

Default Re: Shortshifter? (cln92eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am the same way I have a B&M and won't get rid of it at all I love it and as mypreludeissexy stated do not listin to what he said that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard who says something like that. Its like stating get the Cheap wheel studs when running slicks at the track they won't break off O no lol. <FONT SIZE="6">Listin</FONT> to me get the good stuff and you will like it better I don't like Skunk2 but some people do </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL people would listen to you, if you could even spell listen.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL people would listen to you, if you could even spell listen. </TD></TR></TABLE>I know right
Old 03-09-2008, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Shortshifter? (cln92eg)

i got a B&M short throw shifter...no bend. Found it off of a vendor on ebay a couple yrs back for $50. Checked B&M and they run $150 so i consider myself lucky.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shortshifter? (d15b_boost)

I've had the skunk2 dual-bend short shifter for a couple months now and i love it. it's steel so i don't have to worry about it snapping (my neighbor had the cheap aluminum ones and it snapped). Its throws have a nice feel, really short. You'll probly want to get some bushings with it too, but you can probly get it all bought and installed for about $100

Quick Reply: Shortshifter?