Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short Throw Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Short Throw Shifter Question

EDIT:
The following O rings I'm tlaking about are the ones that sit on both sides of where the bottom of the shifter bolts into the gearshift rod, inbetween the receiver bracket and the bottom of the shifter.
/EDIT

Hey, on a B&M Dual Bend Shifter, it seems as though the regular OD 12x16 or whatever O-rings for a civic provide too much slop, the dual bend is technically for an integra, but for an integra, you're supposed to use the larger ones (13x16??), but you're also supposed to use three of them.

Three of those fatter O-rings (two on driver's side to create a tilt bias) AREN'T happening without bending receiver on the gearshift rod. Though there's definitely too much slop using 2 civic O-rings, I'm guessing that's because the dual bend is technically an integra shifter..?

Anybody shed any light on this?

PS: I bent the receiver on the gear shift rod trying to fit 3 of the fatter O-rings in there, so don't tell me about how possible it is.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:58 AM
GO GIANTS!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Short Throw Shifter Question (Syndacate)

SEARCH NOOB! GOD!@!! 12304872048 questinos on short shifters. They expletive up your tranniey perioud!

lol

J/k Bump for this dude.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Aren't the o-rings for the metal insert tube you remove from the stock shifter?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Throw Shifter Question (HondamanXxX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SEARCH NOOB! GOD!@!! 12304872048 questinos on short shifters. They expletive up your tranniey perioud!

lol

J/k Bump for this dude. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hehehe, i dont dink hes a noob. but yeah,,,, integra also have dual bend, correct me if im wrong,, should b a okay upgrade for civics, a plus wid the gsr shift ****
Old 12-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Throw Shifter Question (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aren't the o-rings for the metal insert tube you remove from the stock shifter?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Naw, I'm not talking about the four that go on the pin that slides through the base of the shifter. I'm talking of the two that go on each side of the base of the shifter - where the bolt goes through it to attach the shifter to the gear-shift rod - the bushings that dampen between the gearshift rod, and the base of the shifter, not the inside ones on the metal tube that dampen between the shifter, and the bolt that passes through them.

Supposedly for a civic you're supposed to use two of the smaller O rings (one on each side), though for a '94-'01 'teg you're supposed to use three O rings (2 on the passenger side is stock, one on the driver's side, or 2 on the driver's side shifts the pivot point of where the shifter passes through the exchange linkage to create a "racing bias" (tilted towards the driver) - but for an integra, you don't use three smaller ones, you use three of the larger ones (13x16 OD I think).

So it's supposed to be:
Civic = 2 small O rings
'Teg = 3 large O rings

So it's a dual bend shifter (which is technically the integra shifter) into a civic - so which rings do you use. I had the 2 smaller ones on there since it was a civic, but there was a little slop in the shifter - it wasn't flush against both sides. Though three large O rings just ISN'T fitting in there - I bent the fu8king gear-shift rod receiver trying to fit 3 larger O rings/bushings between the gear selector lever base, and the gear-shift rod receiver.

So I ask again, what O ring setup is supposed to be used when using an "acura integra" (dual bend) shifter on a civic's linkage.

****, I shoulda just bought a single bend and eliminated this bullshit.

Any help is appreciated. When it gets warmer out since I don't have a lift I'm going to get a new gear-shift rod in there, maybe buy some aftermarket O rings/Bushings that are larger than the 'teg ones and use one on each side...I don't know - any help would be greatly appreciated...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ej1-usdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hehehe, i dont dink hes a noob. but yeah,,,, integra also have dual bend, correct me if im wrong,, should b a okay upgrade for civics, a plus wid the gsr shift ****</TD></TR></TABLE>

On B&M's FAQ section when asked what the difference between a dual bend shifter and a single bend shifter is, they simply replied: (paraphrased) "The dual bend shifter is for the Acura Integra, while the single bend shifter is for the Honda Civic." - I just got the dual bend b/c I'm kinda short - but I'm starting to think that was a ******* mistake as this is a ****-ton more of a hassle than it should be.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SEARCH NOOB! GOD!@!! 12304872048 questinos on short shifters. They expletive up your tranniey perioud!

lol

J/k Bump for this dude. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously, and you'd think one of them would have the info I'm looking for .
Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know bro, I just installed my shorty in my car and I had problems just getting the two o-rings in let alone another! If you have the time I'd say send it back and just get the one made for the civic if it's being that big of a bitch but if your like me w/ only 1 car then I dont know thats your call bro. Bump for this man.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd see if you can't just return or exchange for a single bend short shifter, I love my single bend..
Old 12-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Throw Shifter Question (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd see if you can't just return or exchange for a single bend short shifter, I love my single bend.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-10-2007, 09:00 AM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: Short Throw Shifter Question (96 EX)

Have you asked B&M?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Throw Shifter Question (HondamanXxX)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1007935

According to the thread above, the short shifter are universal, so it doesn't matter if you have the dual bend or single bend shifter. It is all going to fit in the same.

Have you tried using just two of the larger o-rings? Bend the linkage-shifter bracket in a little.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:19 PM

what about mixing and matching a few of both rings? say 1 fat one, and 2 small ones, or vice versa? or go down to the part store and see if you can find something that will slip in there and fit? my understanding is you dont want that area completely solid, and you would want a little movement in there being as you will have a small amount of heat expansion from the exaust under it, and just its an area thats always pivoting, so if its tight its gonna take a little more effort, and possibly wear out quicker, but the on the down side you wont have as "firm" of a shift, but the the little side to side movement wont really effect the shift that much, you will have more play in between the shaft and tranny then that.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1007935

According to the thread above, the short shifter are universal, so it doesn't matter if you have the dual bend or single bend shifter. It is all going to fit in the same.

Have you tried using just two of the larger o-rings? Bend the linkage-shifter bracket in a little.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I should have tried that, but no, I didn't try that, the damn gear-shift rod receiver is bent (spread out) a bit atm so I'm really pissed off at that.

They're not universal though, or else they wouldn't have two different bushing sizes for 2 different applications.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about mixing and matching a few of both rings? say 1 fat one, and 2 small ones, or vice versa? or go down to the part store and see if you can find something that will slip in there and fit? my understanding is you dont want that area completely solid, and you would want a little movement in there being as you will have a small amount of heat expansion from the exaust under it, and just its an area thats always pivoting, so if its tight its gonna take a little more effort, and possibly wear out quicker, but the on the down side you wont have as "firm" of a shift, but the the little side to side movement wont really effect the shift that much, you will have more play in between the shaft and tranny then that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I tried 2 big, 1 small, no go, I shoulda tried 2 big b4 I bent the damn receiver, though that doesn't make sense as far as any instruction manuals go...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you asked B&M? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, because in light of their "dual bend is made for an integra" comment, I'd assume that I'd get a run-around saying it's an improper application problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd see if you can't just return or exchange for a single bend short shifter, I love my single bend.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I really would, but I already threw everything out - it started this **** like 3 days later, when all the sticky lube finally wore off and I realized it had slop with just the 2 civic O rings on it. Now I think it's just a matter of mixing and matching O rings along with clamping this receiver back together...new gear shift rod is like 80 bucks...pathetic.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know bro, I just installed my shorty in my car and I had problems just getting the two o-rings in let alone another! If you have the time I'd say send it back and just get the one made for the civic if it's being that big of a bitch but if your like me w/ only 1 car then I dont know thats your call bro. Bump for this man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know, it's a tight *** fit, that's how I bent the receiver trying to fit 3 in there. You use 2 smaller ones, or 2 largers?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the integra and civic shifter bolt up the same (the bend has noting to do with it). the smaller or thinner o-rings are for the shaft that goes into the shifter. the larger o-rings is what goes on the outside of the shifter (over it), on the external part of the shifter (mine never came in the kit, had to buy them in a hardware store). it's a pain in the *** to keep the larger o-rings on once lube, so be patient.

as for the shift link bending, yeah it bends easy, doesn't take much. just grab a pair of channel locks or vise grips to re-bend it.

i provided a link, it helped me when i did my B&M:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1007935
Old 12-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I should have tried that, but no, I didn't try that, the damn gear-shift rod receiver is bent (spread out) a bit atm so I'm really pissed off at that.

They're not universal though, or else they wouldn't have two different bushing sizes for 2 different applications.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The shifter itself is universal between d/b-series linkages
Old 12-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Throw Shifter Question (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the integra and civic shifter bolt up the same (the bend has noting to do with it). the smaller or thinner o-rings are for the shaft that goes into the shifter. the larger o-rings is what goes on the outside of the shifter (over it), on the external part of the shifter (mine never came in the kit, had to buy them in a hardware store). it's a pain in the *** to keep the larger o-rings on once lube, so be patient.

as for the shift link bending, yeah it bends easy, doesn't take much. just grab a pair of channel locks or vise grips to re-bend it.

i provided a link, it helped me when i did my B&M:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1007935</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I think I got to take it apart again when I get off for Christmas break - but that's not for another 2 weeks, not sure if it'll be too cold by then. Yeah, I'm not talking about the smaller O rings that go around the sleeve at all - they're obvious what they go on, I'm talking about the discrepancy in size which as there's 2 different sizes provided.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The shifter itself is universal between d/b-series linkages</TD></TR></TABLE>

To an extent, yes, otherwise there wouldn't be two different bushing sizes/allotments, one for B linkages, and one for D linkages.

<FONT SIZE="4">Here, if this question is "solved" let me ask it a different way</FONT>

If the B and D gear-shift rod receiver is exactly the same.

And the dual bend and single bend ball diameter is exactly the same.

They would provide the same O rings. They wouldn't provide 2 smaller ones for a one kind of linkage, and 3 larger ones for the other, if they're EXACTLY the same.

Something is NOT the same between them. The guy in that picture used the smaller bushings, but he was also using a single bend ("civic") shifter. They're obviously not the same if you're supposed to use different sizes for different applications. SOMETHING in that area (not sure what), isn't the same size.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
To an extent, yes, otherwise there wouldn't be two different bushing sizes/allotments, one for B linkages, and one for D linkages.

<FONT SIZE="4">Here, if this question is "solved" let me ask it a different way</FONT>

If the B and D gear-shift rod receiver is exactly the same.

And the dual bend and single bend ball diameter is exactly the same.

They would provide the same O rings. They wouldn't provide 2 smaller ones for a one kind of linkage, and 3 larger ones for the other, if they're EXACTLY the same.

Something is NOT the same between them. The guy in that picture used the smaller bushings, but he was also using a single bend ("civic") shifter. They're obviously not the same if you're supposed to use different sizes for different applications. SOMETHING in that area (not sure what), isn't the same size.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The shifter ball is the same, the spacing between the linkage-shifter mounting point is different. Smaller for the D-series and a little larger for the B-series.

The universal short shifter is the same for manufacturers like Blox and Skunk2. Single bend or dual bend, they all fit the same with the D/B-series linkages, except for they provide extra spacers to install them onto B-series linkages. Same part number, same part, except they provide a little extra for the larger linkage-shifter mounting point.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The shifter ball is the same, the spacing between the linkage-shifter mounting point is different. Smaller for the D-series and a little larger for the B-series.

The universal short shifter is the same for manufacturers like Blox and Skunk2. Single bend or dual bend, they all fit the same with the D/B-series linkages, except for they provide extra spacers to install them onto B-series linkages. Same part number, same part, except they provide a little extra for the larger linkage-shifter mounting point.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Alright, so the gear-shift rod receiver is wider on B series shift linkages, that's what I was looking for, that's all I wanted to know.

Thank you.