Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short Shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifters?

i got a 2000 civic si and i have the greddy turbo kit with the type 24 front mount ( pics on sat of it, not installed yet ). I would like to kno what is a good short shifter for that car. I was looking in to Skunk2 Racing Dual Bend Short Shifters but i want a shifter that throws nice and is very smooth. If this is not the kit can you please tell me what the best kit would be to go with..

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 08-07-2003, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Shifters? (icantthinkofaname)

Only short throw I'd buy is a skunk2. Only company that makes a shifter out of steel.

My buddy has one in his del Sol. He doesn't like it but I think that's just because the del Sol already has a pretty damn short throw in it.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you'll also fry your syncrhos....
Old 08-07-2003, 06:35 AM
opi
Honda-Tech Member

skunk2 very well constructed...

a co-worker of mine had a cheap, generic one installed on his car, and it broke on him in less than a week...i guess you get what you pay for
Old 08-07-2003, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (goodbyegti)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goodbyegti &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you'll also fry your syncrhos....</TD></TR></TABLE>

true
Old 08-07-2003, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goodbyegti &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you'll also fry your syncrhos....</TD></TR></TABLE>

please define how?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:46 AM

I would also like to know how this happens
Old 08-07-2003, 08:46 AM

skunk2 shifter with the skunk2 shift ****!
Old 08-07-2003, 08:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by icantthinkofaname &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I was looking in to Skunk2 Racing Dual Bend Short Shifters
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats what I have, really nice, I like it.
I had a hurst in there before that and didn't like it. I reccomend a Skunk2.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: Short Shifters? (projectEK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">skunk2 shifter with the skunk2 shift ****! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-07-2003, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: (Tyler Durden)

OK...

Since the original poster didn't bother to just search...

Shortshifters are for feel ONLY... the do not decrease the time it takes to shift...

If you shift the short shifter as fast as you used to shift the older one you will burn up your synchros' by shifting too fast for your transmission...

this is also possible to do with a stock shifter.. the length of time it takes for the tranny to shift is determined by the synchros if you try to shift faster then they will let you you WILL damage your tranny...

As far as brand...

ANY is fine... and yes I DO mean those cheap ones off ebay... because if you are shifting your tranny hard enough to break a shiftrod it's better you break that then the tranny so you're actually BETTER off with a cheaper one... unless you know how to drive and don't SLAM your gears... then get whatever one you like...

My best advice is get one that has at least a single bend preferably double bend (above the shiftball) so that it sits nice and far back... I have a b&m and it sits WAY too far forward.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:17 AM

Default Re: (NonovUrbizniz)

Word on the street is that Mackin Industries (a.k.a Volk/Tanabe) will be coming out with a short shifter pretty soon. One of my buddies might be able to get me one to try out. I'll let you guys know what they're like
Old 08-07-2003, 09:22 AM

Default Re: (EKology)

B&M SS (RACE)
Old 08-08-2003, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Shortshifters are for feel ONLY... the do not decrease the time it takes to shift...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you shift at the same speed as you would using a stock shifter on a short shifter the linkage will move faster. The syncrhos will have a shorter time to drag the gears to the correct speed putting them under more stress and increasing the chance of faliure. If you want fast gear changes something is gonna wear out quicker and in this case it's the synchros. If you shift too fast the gear will grind since it will not be rotating at the correct speed and like NonovUrbizniz says you will damage your tranny (although not very badly unless you slam it real hard). The worst thing tho is that the more you shift fast the worse your synrchos will get. This will force you to shift slower since otherwise the pegs will grind....so i guess a short shifter is kinda counter productive (unless of course you don't give a **** and are happy to get a recon gearbox every 20k)
Old 08-08-2003, 06:43 AM

listen to the man
Old 08-08-2003, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only if you can't drive! hahahaha......
Old 08-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Only if you can't drive! hahahaha......</TD></TR></TABLE>

true
Old 08-08-2003, 08:30 AM

I have a DC sports short shifter with the neuspeed shift linkage bushings. It feels better than any other setup I've ever driven.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HotRodDelSol)

Skunk2 integra style( 2 bends) w/Energy Suspension bushings. Gives a real nice firm feel. Yes it is true that using a shortshifter can screw a tranny up worse then a stock one. But like stated before you dont have to slam gears and you have to be aware of what your doing. I didnt have any problems shifting fast with mine.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (illusive)

....and no one says, just because you have a short throw shifter, you have to shift fast. You can shift gears with the same speed as before, just not have to move your hand as much!
Old 08-08-2003, 10:48 PM

Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">....and no one says, just because you have a short throw shifter, you have to shift fast. You can shift gears with the same speed as before, just not have to move your hand as much!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Very well put...the ebay and the DC BREAK!! Stay away!! Skunk2 or stock is the ONLY way to go.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:40 PM

Short shifters don't kill synchros; people kill synchros.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep,
short shifters dont kill synchros ppl do.

just be careful when shifting, dont give it too much gas imbetween shifts
Old 08-09-2003, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Tad)

Honda synchros are made of brass....brass = soft metal....soft metal = easily destroyed...nuff sed....
Old 08-09-2003, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: (DSeriesBKilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSeriesBKilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda synchros are made of brass....brass = soft metal....soft metal = easily destroyed...nuff sed....</TD></TR></TABLE>

ALL synchros' wear... that's why they're not in semi's... they don't have ANY material that will last long enough... so the trucker's gotta double clutch.

and considering people have gone 200k mi. with a stock clutch (obviously no synchro replacement)... I'd say they're pretty sturdy as long as they're not abused by the driver.

Quick Reply: Short Shifters?