Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SHORT SHIFTERS

Old 01-13-2005, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHORT SHIFTERS

ARE THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN APC SHORT SHIFTER AN A SKUNK2 SHORT SHIFTER? IF YES, WHAT ARE THEY
Old 01-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: SHORT SHIFTERS (AZNBIGPIMPN505)

I don't have any first hand experience with APC, but I'm guessing the difference is going to be quaility and design. Skunk2 puts a lot of time into their research and developement of their products which APC probably doesn't. You can choose between a single or double bend and the quality is close to immaculate. Skunk2
Old 01-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know the cheaper ones includung the APC's are aluminum, maybe all the apc's are. these are the ones that break off in peoples hands when they shift like maniacs. the skunk2 is steel. the skunk2 will be stronger, can't see anyone breaking a skunk2 or any steel shifter for that matter. i'd guess the skunk2 has a better bearing too...

if you are not rough on it the APC or any $9 ebay shifter, it should work fine. i personally have a skunk2 shifter.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: SHORT SHIFTERS (chris c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know the cheaper ones includung the APC's are aluminum, maybe all the apc's are. these are the ones that break off in peoples hands when they shift like maniacs. the skunk2 is steel. the skunk2 will be stronger, can't see anyone breaking a skunk2 or any steel shifter for that matter. i'd guess the skunk2 has a better bearing too...

if you are not rough on it the APC or any $9 ebay shifter, it should work fine. i personally have a skunk2 shifter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The steel shifter like the Skunk2 is much stronger than APC or most other ones made of aluminum. The shift **** on the skunk 2 is weighted as well which makes for better engagement feel when shifting.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZNBIGPIMPN505 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ARE THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN APC SHORT SHIFTER AN A SKUNK2 SHORT SHIFTER? IF YES, WHAT ARE THEY</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the brand.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZNBIGPIMPN505 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ARE THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN APC SHORT SHIFTER AN A SKUNK2 SHORT SHIFTER? IF YES, WHAT ARE THEY</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, personally i have the apc dual bend on my civic, and my friend has a skunk dual and wants to trade me, and all my friends with a b&m wanna trade to...you just might have to get both to see what you like personally though

apc dual bend
Old 01-13-2005, 04:56 PM

APC is aluminum. Skunk2 is steel. Match the skunk2 shifter with a skunk2 shift **** and your set. My set up is the skunk2 single bend and skunk2 **** with energy shifter bushings...works flawlessly.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: (jeffk182)

i have a vibrant short shifter, probably the same as apc and love it, my friend has an edelbrock shifter, which defiently feels and looks better, but at the end of the day my shifter works and feels great for half the price
Old 01-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can someone enlighten a newbie on what the short shifter does?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: (CTCH22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CTCH22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can someone enlighten a newbie on what the short shifter does? </TD></TR></TABLE> It shortens the throw of the shift. So insted of moving the shifter 6" to the next gear it will now be like 3".....comprende
Old 01-13-2005, 05:38 PM

Ive got a B&M dual bend. It takes some getting used to but I love it.

Havent had any experiences with any other brands tho.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: SHORT SHIFTERS (BrianHinson)

whats the difference in feel between like a single or double bend?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SHORT SHIFTERS (flybmxpantera)

I had a no name alluminum shifter on sentra, for what it was worth, it did the job. Didnt break. No complaints, but if you can a better brand and better materials, go for it.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:11 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SHORT SHIFTERS (teknoracing)

I bet you I would break that APC with some hard throws.
Second of all never head an APC but take DC for example, nice shifter but it's too short and doesn't feel like a skunk2 (makes you miss third sometimes). Skunk2 kicks *** especially the dual bend goes in perfect everytime and is just the right length.

Also when you get a shifter you might as well get shifter bushings, make shifts smoother.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bet you I would break that APC with some hard throws.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive done that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Second of all never head an APC but take DC for example, nice shifter but it's too short and doesn't feel like a skunk2 (makes you miss third sometimes).</TD></TR></TABLE>

done that too
Old 01-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

comprende
Old 01-13-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: (CTCH22)

i honestly..dont like short shifters as well am very against it... every time ive had a short shifter..this is for the guys on the road... when in time of need to shift and shifting fast...the short shifter doesnt bring your synchros all the way in to line up... therefor.. in my theory...having a short shifter... is like..telling your tranny its okay not to line up all the way..and itll lead to grinding gears... learned that from experience...
Old 01-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (bogoys)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogoys &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i honestly..dont like short shifters as well am very against it... every time ive had a short shifter..this is for the guys on the road... when in time of need to shift and shifting fast...the short shifter doesnt bring your synchros all the way in to line up... therefor.. in my theory...having a short shifter... is like..telling your tranny its okay not to line up all the way..and itll lead to grinding gears... learned that from experience... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree somewhat. Every short shifter I have had (3 different ones on 3 different cars) has caused problems. Again, they stress the HELL out of the synchros by asking them to work even harder when making rapid gear changes. Of course, this will start the worlds largest arguement, but I will personally stick to my ITR shifter. All the teg shifters have the same throw which just so happens to be slightly shorter then that of the Civic ones. Perfect OEM upgrade, won't harm tranny, life is good.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Of course, this will start the worlds largest arguement, but I will personally stick to my ITR shifter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

anyone who has had a short shifter and got the synchro problems probably wont argue with you i know i wont cause i need synchros now cause of the short shifter

Modified by civictildeath at 2:44 PM 1/15/2005
Old 01-13-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

I've built a few D series tranny's myself and I've always just put in carbon synchros. I found that after about 160000 kms the factory ones are starting to go anyways. You could put in some lucas oil to slow the wear down and smooth the shifting and feel though, and you'll get another 20000 clicks out if it. I did my tranny about a year and a half ago and haven't ground the gears once since.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phasewest)

Im using the Skunk2 weighted Shift ****
And ive Had The Ac Autotechnic Short Shifter Forever
Works Great...... never Broke,mishifted or anything
I think you just have to get used to whatever
short shifter and shiftknob combination
youre using i wouldnt recomend sumtin dats too cheap tho
Old 01-13-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: (Go_Fork_Urself)

i used to have a cheapo short shifter and ground alot of gears with it. im now using a stock shifter and a skunk2 **** and have no complaints
Old 01-13-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: (Go_Fork_Urself)

I had an apc one on my old civic and the throw on that thing was unbelievable. It was the shortest I have ever shifted. All of my friends thought it was very short also. The apc one is great never broke off for me or misshifted or anything. Shifting is a little hard to get use to but is nice. I love the skunk 2 one on my civic now though with the wieghted shiftknob.... WHAT A COMBO!!!
Old 01-13-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: (H22siCivic)

i keep it simple gsr shifter with dc sports shift **** works great (slight mod made to make fit)
Old 01-14-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: SHORT SHIFTERS (flybmxpantera)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flybmxpantera &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the difference in feel between like a single or double bend? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The dual bend sits a little bit higher and is closer to the driver so you don't have to reach as far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SHORT SHIFTERS