Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short Shifter Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifter Problems.

Ok, I just bought a Civic DX (EJ6). It has a B16A with and LS transmission and a Stage 2 clutch. The car was orginally an automatic. And it has a short shifter.

And I have problems putting it in first gear. When I try to put the stick into the slot where first is, it will not go. When I say it won't go, it is like there is not slot there at all. I CAN get it in there if I SLAM the [freak] out of it, but I want to know why it won't simple slide in there. Same with second. I must SLAM it in there. But I just think it is the clutch. Any suggestions?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Short Shifter Problems. (Lil Gnome)

if it was just the clutch it would do it in every gear. i would guess syncros but im not sure.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 PM
HRD PKR

Default Re: Short Shifter Problems. (dohczccrx)

The prob didn't do the auto to 5spd conversion correct or the syncros are bad.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Shifter Problems. (B16B_coupe)

If it were the syncros, what could I do to fix it?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your syncros are bad, I find it is easier to put the gear into 2nd then to first before every go from a stop.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hanmin)

I must still slam it into first.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that happens to me once in a while. Couple of things you can try is to shift slower. if it won't "open" up, try releasing the clutch and stepping on it again and try to shift it in slowly. Also, when was the last tranny fluid change that you've done?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 AM

you mentioned the car was automatic and converted - try going pulling all the way towards you and then up to first - if you didn't get a mount such as the hasport auto to manual conversion mount for instance can be a pain. Aside from that most likely something such as the differential or possibly shift fork or something bent or breaking
Old 08-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yoej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yoej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that happens to me once in a while. Couple of things you can try is to shift slower. if it won't "open" up, try releasing the clutch and stepping on it again and try to shift it in slowly. Also, when was the last tranny fluid change that you've done?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I will try that. I just bought the car from some guy off of HondaMarketplace. So I haven't had time to change the Transmission fluid. Plus, I broke. lol
Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DTA-Zombie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DTA-Zombie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you mentioned the car was automatic and converted - try going pulling all the way towards you and then up to first - if you didn't get a mount such as the hasport auto to manual conversion mount for instance can be a pain. Aside from that most likely something such as the differential or possibly shift fork or something bent or breaking</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea when I first started having problems getting it into first, I pulled the stick toward me, and tried slowy putting it in first. And it was still a failure. I just received the car, how do I check if it has the hasport conversion mount? And if I don't have it, do you know if you can instruct on how to assemble it to me car? I think it may be the shift fork is broken, but haven't had time to check. I'll come back with more detail tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you didnt use the hasport mount??? so whoever did it re welded it? is the motor crooked when you look under the bay?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if the motor is all crooked and jacked one direction that can keep it from going into gear
Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Hanmin)

Bleed the clutch, IIRC there's no syncros in 1st, so I would say try putting it in 4th before you put it in 1st, but you said that doesn't work.

So that leads me to believe that A) The 1st/2nd clutch fork is bent, or B) There's air in the clutch lines. The former would seem more likely seeing as it doesn't crunch into 2nd through 5th, but the latter is easier and free (except for the fluid). So try bleeding the clutch, if it's still bad after that, it might be time for a trans tear-down and a new fork.

It's possible, like others have said, that the trans fluid is low, though that usually doesn't create a problem like you're having - but it's cheap, so change that, too, before you do anything drastic.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HONDACIVC93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HONDACIVC93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the motor is all crooked and jacked one direction that can keep it from going into gear</TD></TR></TABLE>

@ OP:
Yeah, take the obvious routes first. If the motor is in a messed up direction, that could keep it from going into a certain gear...though you'd likely have the problem with 2nd gear as well...though I also don't know how twisted up like a pretzel ur engine is...especially if people are welding mounts 'n ****.

If you wanna double check this theory it's simple:
- Jack the front of the car up.
- Have a buddy get in the car, start it up, and hold the clutch in (for god's sake please make sure the e-brake is up and the wheels are chocked).
- Slide under the car and while looking towards the engine/trans, take the exchange linkage rod, and twist it counter clockwise and pull back - that will put it into 1st gear. Then while keeping it turned push it forward, that'll be second.

If it's going free in and out of 1st and 2nd then you can exclude air in the clutch, and a bent shifter fork. Which leaves you left with shifter slop, and the engine being at a weird angle as your most common possibilities.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Which leaves you left with shifter slop, and the engine being at a weird angle as your most common possibilities.</TD></TR></TABLE> The shifter does move around a lot and it is hard to tell if it is neutral because it moves a good amount while in the gears. I think it might be welded in kinda crooked but it doesnt look like it. Will if be safe to drive it like this untill he can get the hasport manual conversion kit for it?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ya Digg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ya Digg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The shifter does move around a lot and it is hard to tell if it is neutral because it moves a good amount while in the gears. I think it might be welded in kinda crooked but it doesnt look like it. Will if be safe to drive it like this untill he can get the hasport manual conversion kit for it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends on who welded it. I knew a guy who welded a Camaro's frame rails to replace a rear end collision - that weld will outlast the car.

So the quality of the weld is simply who did it and what tools he used.

Though would I drive it? No. No, I'd wait until the hasport comes in, then mount the engine/trans in a normal way and see if the problem persists.

I mean getting the regular hasport mounts will knock off that possibility, so you might as well kill 2 birdies with one stone and wait until it comes in to knock off that possibility as well as set the engine straight.

Not to mention ur not doing ur trans any good regardless by raming it into gear, lol .
Old 08-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It depends on who welded it. I knew a guy who welded a Camaro's frame rails to replace a rear end collision - that weld will outlast the car.

So the quality of the weld is simply who did it and what tools he used.

Though would I drive it? No. No, I'd wait until the hasport comes in, then mount the engine/trans in a normal way and see if the problem persists.

I mean getting the regular hasport mounts will knock off that possibility, so you might as well kill 2 birdies with one stone and wait until it comes in to knock off that possibility as well as set the engine straight.

Not to mention ur not doing ur trans any good regardless by raming it into gear, lol .</TD></TR></TABLE> Thanks dood he will have to get some then
Old 08-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i could have told you the problem the synchronizers are fine man i bought some ebay shift linkage and put it in a friend told me there junk so you might have to get better linkage man trust me the tranny is fine i should have told you but i forgot cuz i have no problems driving it
Old 08-26-2008, 08:09 PM

shift fork is bent a lil, had same problem with current trans, we did everything fluid exchange, clutch adjustment, even new shift linkage, still was happening so, took it apart replaced all shift forks and smooth shifting ever since, but do try the fluid exchange and other stuff first b4 you drop the money to rebuild the trans. just my exp! HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT O and it was a hydro GS-R trans
Old 08-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it aint the damn fork man i told you what it was these dudes are clowns i babied the car the tranny got 10000 miles on it come on
Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Shifter Problems. (vtec92accord)

The car just needed getting used to. But whe ever I can afford it, I will try some new linkage cables.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Shifter Problems. (vtec92accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec92accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it aint the damn fork man i told you what it was these dudes are clowns i babied the car the tranny got 10000 miles on it come on </TD></TR></TABLE>

Whatever, it doesn't matter at this point. The point is he's having a problem now.

@ OP:
I doubt the shifter would cause this much problems - though its' quite possible. As long as the shift linkage was properly installed it should be fine, though do as I said, get under the car, and see how it's moving in and out of gear by actually moving the linkage, not by using the shifter. You can narrow down your problems that way. (read my previous post(s))
Old 08-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Shifter Problems. (Syndacate)

if you can post a pic of the passenger side tranny mount we could till if its the right mount and knock out that as a possibility
Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Shifter Problems. (Syndacate)

Whatever, it doesn't matter at this point. The point is he's having a problem now.

@ OP:
I doubt the shifter would cause this much problems - though its' quite possible. As long as the shift linkage was properly installed it should be fine, though do as I said, get under the car, and see how it's moving in and out of gear by actually moving the linkage, not by using the shifter. You can narrow down your problems that way. (read my previous post(s))</TD></TR></TABLE> were gonna do it today when I go to his house and were gonna look at his FIT, IACV and hoses to try to fix the idle problem.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 PM

i had the same problem on my 93 ex but with the stock shifter i put it up on the lift it and i could see what was wrong i wish i took a picture. point is i cant explain, i just put in a short shifter polyurethane shifter bushings, and had to wait a week for parts from the dealer i dont even remember what it was, it was like the bracket to the bushing or something or other basicly it was worn out and rusty and coroded so i changed that, now it works great. its the part closest to the actual floor so when you go through a foot of water, though you may have a different problem

Quick Reply: Short Shifter Problems.