Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short shifter in a hatch wth engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short shifter in a hatch wth engine swap.

so i have an eg hatch and im lookin at swapping in a b16 (hydraulic tranny) from a 92-95 SiR, and i was told to use a linkage from a 94-01 teg. I figured id just do a short shifter while im doin everything else.

What short shifter do i need? I wasnt sure if id need one to match the car, the motor, or the linkage.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short shifter in a hatch wth engine swap.

you can use the d-series single bend short shifter or you can use the b-series dual bend short shifter. same thing but the dual bend sits back further.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any preference? ive never played around much with short shifters.

I know ebay parts are usually junk, but some things are ok to buy off there. Would a short shifter be something you could buy off ebay?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would recommend not getting an egay one . Ive had a personal experience with one a few years back In my ef. I was driving spirited maybe a little harder than normal and when I went to shift into second the whole threaded area snapped off with the shift ****.So i drove for a week with a little tooth pick sized **** since there was no ****
Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're using an integra linkage, you need an integra shifter. The linkage for integras is wider right where the shifter meets it.

F it. Buy an EBAY one. They're cheap. It's just a stupid shifter. I got a SKUNK2 one for free. I really like it...but I don't think I'd be willing to pay full price. My EM1's just my DD.

Dual or single bend is a preference thing. I like the dual bend because of how it sits.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay well im not so sure the dude who said about linkage knew his stuff...

a 94-01 integra linkage WILL in fact work with the 92-95 B16a motor (hydro tranny) in the 92-95 civic dx hatchback? and then just go with a 94-01 short shifter? do i need to throw down 150 bucks on a new linkage or is it reasonable to buy a used one?

thisll be my first swap, im just trying to get all this info straight.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B Serious:

I was always under the impression that the shift linkage just needed to be from the motor that is being swapped. Is this incorrect? Also on that note, aren't B series interchangeable?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah anyways. bc the motor is on hmotorsonline.com, and they send you the stock linkage for the 92-95 SiR. I dont want to spend 150 bucks on an avid racing 94-01 linkage when i can use the one they send me for free, if i can in fact use said linkage.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alacard
B Serious:

I was always under the impression that the shift linkage just needed to be from the motor that is being swapped. Is this incorrect? Also on that note, aren't B series interchangeable?
yes ther are interchangable.you can use anylinkage as longs its for a b series tranny.you can either get a integra short shifter or a 99-00 si shifter.i have a "jdm" ebay one myself.you can also use civic shifter with your teg shift linkage but youll need to use washers to fill in the space.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, any B or D shifter should work on a civic linkage. I'm using the same B&M dual bend on my B swap as I used on my D motor. The B&M shifter is a nice alternative to an ebay shifter... they're quality, and only about $50. I got mine from modacar.

Unless I'm mistaken, any B linkage should bolt to any B transmission... but it may not fit your car. If you have an EG hatch, your best bet would be to use a B series linkage from an EG - either SiR or Del Sol. I'm not 100% certain, but maybe someone can clarify.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

itll be the linkage from a 92-95 SiR but i guess they didnt sell them cars in america. and itll go into a usdm 92-95 eg. I was assuming it would fit... going from a 92-95 to a 92-95, idk why i gotta jump all the way to an integra linkage...
Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civics4lyfe
okay well im not so sure the dude who said about linkage knew his stuff...

a 94-01 integra linkage WILL in fact work with the 92-95 B16a motor (hydro tranny) in the 92-95 civic dx hatchback? and then just go with a 94-01 short shifter? do i need to throw down 150 bucks on a new linkage or is it reasonable to buy a used one?

thisll be my first swap, im just trying to get all this info straight.
I DO know what I am talking about. The linkage will have to be a 94-01 integra linkage for the b-series into eg chassis. As far as your question about the shifter though (short shifter) you can use a eg or dc shifter. It is a personal preferance. I have the stock eg shifter in my car because I am tall and have long arms. If I were shorter, I would use the dc dual-bend because it sits back further.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 AM

yeah anyways. bc the motor is on hmotorsonline.com, and they send you the stock linkage for the 92-95 SiR. I dont want to spend 150 bucks on an avid racing 94-01 linkage when i can use the one they send me for free, if i can in fact use said linkage.
You can use the 92-95 Si-r linkage if you're doing the swap on a 92-00 civic or a 94-01 integra. The DEL SOL and CRV linkage are the only B series linkages that can't be used, IIRC.

Originally Posted by esean93
yes ther are interchangable.you can use anylinkage as longs its for a b series tranny.you can either get a integra short shifter or a 99-00 si shifter.i have a "jdm" ebay one myself.you can also use civic shifter with your teg shift linkage but youll need to use washers to fill in the space.

The EM1 shifter is the same as any D series shifter. It's got the smaller portion below the ball.

The integra shifters are different. The integra linkage requires an integra shifter or a big washer on a civic shifter.

You CAN use a civic shifter on an integra linkage (with a washer).

You CAN NOT use an integra shifter on a civic linkage.

I have an EM1. I used to have a GSR. The shifters are different. I guarantee you this.

I think the linkage I got with my OBD1 Si-r swap came with an integra linkage from H motors. It was still in Honda bags.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by alacard
B Serious:

No. The shift linkage is lsightly chassis sensitive and engine family sensitive. Not nessecarily specific engine sensitive.

For example:

You have a 95 civic with any B series manual swap. You can use an EM1 linkage, a GSR linkage, or a JDM SI-R linkage. Obviously, the CTR or ITR linkage will work as well.

You have a 95 DEL SOL VTEC and you swap in another type of B series. You reuse the Del sol B16A linkage. You can't use the EM1, GSR, ITR, CTR linkage.

The only difference between integra linkages and civic linkages is that the slot where the shifter sits is wider on integras. So with an integra shift linkage, you must use an integra shifter or a civic shifter with a big washer on one side.

The integra shifter is also a-symmetrical. Which means, obviously that the fork part of the linkage is also a-symmetrical. Not important. Not a big deal.

The del sol linkage is longer. You use a civic shifter on all models of the del sol.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so all this is confusing me like hell right now. so heres a question, looking for a yes or no answer to sum it all up:

92-95 hatchback civic.
92-95 SiR B16a motor with hydro tranny.
92-95 SiR B16a linkage.
92-95 civic dual bend short throw shifter.
all this will hook up, no issues?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by davefromPA
I DO know what I am talking about. The linkage will have to be a 94-01 integra linkage for the b-series into eg chassis. As far as your question about the shifter though (short shifter) you can use a eg or dc shifter. It is a personal preferance. I have the stock eg shifter in my car because I am tall and have long arms. If I were shorter, I would use the dc dual-bend because it sits back further.
Dude im not questioning your statement. i was originally told about the 94-01 linkage on another post. Then i was thinking, and if the b16 came from a 92-95 civic, wouldnt i just beable to use that linkage to put it back into a 92-95 civic? If its the same chassais, only dif is that it came from an asian car and is going into a car sold in the us, i figured it would make sense not to spend the money on a dc linkage. your post agreed with his statement, which made the situation rather confusing.

with so many ppl doing b series swaps, i find it odd that im hearing multiple answers to forming the solution.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude im not questioning your statement. i was originally told about the 94-01 linkage on another post. Then i was thinking, and if the b16 came from a 92-95 civic, wouldnt i just beable to use that linkage to put it back into a 92-95 civic? If its the same chassais, only dif is that it came from an asian car and is going into a car sold in the us, i figured it would make sense not to spend the money on a dc linkage. your post agreed with his statement, which made the situation rather confusing.

with so many ppl doing b series swaps, i find it odd that im hearing multiple answers to forming the solution.
Ill make it simple and b serious made it simple also. use the linkage you already have.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:12 PM

ok so all this is confusing me like hell right now. so heres a question, looking for a yes or no answer to sum it all up:

92-95 hatchback civic.
92-95 SiR B16a motor with hydro tranny.
92-95 SiR B16a linkage.
92-95 civic dual bend short throw shifter.
all this will hook up, no issues?
Yes. This will work 100% fine. You don't need any other parts.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B serious
You CAN use a civic shifter on an integra linkage (with a washer).

You CAN NOT use an integra shifter on a civic linkage.

I have an EM1. I used to have a GSR. The shifters are different. I guarantee you this.

I think the linkage I got with my OBD1 Si-r swap came with an integra linkage from H motors. It was still in Honda bags.
Ah, thats why skunk2 included washer with the dual bend i got, bc they say its for 94-01 teg and 90 (maybe 88?)-00 civ. I used them but didnt know why it wasnt the right width to begin with.