Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short Shifter - Dual Bend vs Straight / Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short Shifter - Dual Bend vs Straight / Recommendations

I’m thinking about installing a short shifter, but I don’t know whether I should get the straight stick or the double bend. Right now I'm looking at B&M but would be open to others.

I read that the straight one sits more forward, almost where 1st gear currently is, while it is in neutral. I don’t race or anything – this is just my D.D and I just wanted the shifts to feel smoother and tighter. I have searched these forums and found a TON of instructions on how to go about installing it, but not much on recommendations / differences (even on the B&M website).

The two I’m debating between currently would be 45075
and 45047 . I'm leaning more towards the dual bend because it's my understanding that it sits closer to where the original shifter would? Can anyone confirm?

I am also open to other brands, but I don’t want to spend TOO much on this thing. For those of you that have a short shifter, would you recommend it to someone like me?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Short Shifter - Dual Bend vs Straight / Recommendations

i have and like my dual bend buddy club shifter HOWEVER i will be switching to a Ktuned multi point adjustable b series shifter real soon
Old 09-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So would you recommend a dual bend over the stock shifter for normal enjoyable driving? Does it sit in a comparable place compared to the stock shifter? I saw that the straight one sits more forward, making the driver stretch their arm more to get in 3rd and 5th (although I don't sit super far back, I don't want to lock my elbow every time I shift).
Old 09-04-2013, 03:28 PM
The Credible Hulk

I have a B&M straight in my 91 hatch and a B&M dual bend in my 92 hatch... I notice ALMOST no difference. Both are excellent. The dua bend does position the shifter SLIGHTLY closer to the steering wheel.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh - see I would have thought it was the opposite. I thought the dual bend brought the shifter back towards the driver more? Do you have a preference of the two?

Would you recommend it over the stock setup, for a DD such as myself?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly None. other than the MINOR "short" throw of shifter there is not much diff in positioning
Old 09-04-2013, 03:50 PM
The Credible Hulk

It does bring it slightly back toward the driver. The straight one puts it forward enough that it's further from the wheel.

ALSO the dual bend reduces shift throw 30% and the straight one is 28%.

I'd get the dual bend if I were buying a new one.

Reducing the throw of the shifter by nearly 1/3 without putting any additional stress on the shift change rod isn't minor. It's not needed for a daily obviously but I enjoy the reduced throw.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So let me get this straight - the dual bend would be positioned slightly more towards the rear of the car, whereas the straight one would be slightly towards the front of the car. So you would recommend the dual bend because of this positioning mainly? I don't think it's a minor change either..I expect to see a pretty big difference from stock. Just wanting to figure out whether I should drop $50 on it.

So in this picture, the left side of the shifter would be positioned towards the front of the vehicle?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:22 PM
The Credible Hulk

Originally Posted by Koko4
So let me get this straight - the dual bend would be positioned slightly more towards the rear of the car, whereas the straight one would be slightly towards the front of the car. So you would recommend the dual bend because of this positioning mainly? I don't think it's a minor change either..I expect to see a pretty big difference from stock. Just wanting to figure out whether I should drop $50 on it.

So in this picture, the left side of the shifter would be positioned towards the front of the vehicle?
Yes the bend goes toward the rear positioning the shifter closer to the back of the car than the stock one and certainly closer the the rear than the straight B&M. In that pic the left side would be toward the rear.

I would recommend a B&M short throw over stock because both the straight and the dual bend improve shift feel IMO. I'd recommend the dual bend over the straight because I like the positioning better.

The minor comment was in reply to the guy above me who suggested the change in throw would be "MINOR"
Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
The minor comment was in reply to the guy above me who suggested the change in throw would be "MINOR"
Yeah, I realized! I was agreeing with you

I think I'll try out the dual bend, then. Right now I have been experiencing shifter problems..mainly rattling while accelerating sometimes. I have installed Energy bushings which helped the feel a good bit, but I'm ready for a more drastic change I believe. Thanks for the input! I read that they come with all of the bushings that you need for installation..and the only thing I might have to worry about is getting a lower exhaust hanger so the shift rod doesn't rattle against the exhaust pipe? Everything on my car is stock, by the way, so maybe I won't have that problem?

Anyone else vote for the dual bend? Is B&M good, because I've also read good thinks about Skunk2, but I've never experienced that brand.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had both in my Civic and I like the dual bend better but there is not much difference. I have a DC Sports dual bend. Be sure to replaced these while you are swapping out the shifter OEM part number 54110-SH3-003 & 54115-SH3-000 they make a huge difference in shifter feel in yours are old and worn out. Also get some Engergy Suspension shifter bushings.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the tip on the dust seal and change lever ball. I'll be sure to do that. I already changed out the shifter bushings - these, right?
Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a B&M straight on my EM1. It's been going on 8 years and it's still going strong but it rattles like crazy at certain speeds. The positioning doesn't really bother me but I have long arms. Overall it's not bad but I might just go back to stock since it doesn't really make a difference to me and the rattling on long road trips can be annoying.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience with short shifters are missed gears and troublle with fitment with aftermarket larger exhaust. So since its not broke, i didnt fix it.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Skip the short throw and just replace the bushings. That will give you the feel you want without changing the position or causing any headaches with the bad shifts that some people have.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...p?prod=16.1101

And they're cheap.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to jack the thread, i'm going to be replacing my shifter bushings with the energy suspension ones, i have a d series so this is the kit (http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...prod=16%2E1102)

do the two round bushings from the kit replace the parts # 24, 12, 4, and 5 show in this diagram ?

TIA
Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The two round bushings replace #15 (instead of it being one solid bushing, as it is originally), and the other part replaced #17. You have to reuse the little metal sleeves (#10's) when installing #17. Super easy to do - should take no more than 10 minutes.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ended up getting the B&M dual bend today, and removed the old shifter. I am replacing #8 and #11 and had to order them at Honda..they will be in tomorrow morning. Can you believe they wanted $13 for each of them... highway robbery. The dealer net price was only $8 on each item.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the B&M single bend sits very low and the throw is minimal...a dual bent is more confortable and sits higher...i recently switched to the ktuned short shifter and i will never use another shifter
Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Koko4
The two round bushings replace #15 (instead of it being one solid bushing, as it is originally), and the other part replaced #17. You have to reuse the little metal sleeves (#10's) when installing #17. Super easy to do - should take no more than 10 minutes.
thanks, my oem shifter currently has a lot of play and wobbles all around, while in gear and in neutral, if i replace #17 and #15 will this solve it, or do i also need to replace #24,#12#4,#5 ?

TIA
Old 09-06-2013, 03:57 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has alot of play because of the hole #28 goes into has worn..
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am all about the dual bend shifter! I have had one, or installed one in every Honda I have owned. I also highly recommend the bushings, and for ~$10 you cant really go wrong. As for stock vs aftermarket on the shifter.... I would try and stay stock. I have always had issues with aftermarket shifters, and even broke one while racing. In my old car I used a stock GSR shifter with the energy suspension bushings, and a Circuit Hero **** and I really liked that set up a lot. In this car I am installing a B&M dual bend really only because I got it for cheap and couldn't find any stock ones quick enough. I suspect that I will eventually replace it with a stock GSR shifter once I find one for free/cheap.

Sean
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newbie007
thanks, my oem shifter currently has a lot of play and wobbles all around, while in gear and in neutral, if i replace #17 and #15 will this solve it, or do i also need to replace #24,#12#4,#5 ?

TIA
I would look at them to be sure they're not worn excessively, but #12 is just a sleeve that the bolt fits through, so I couldn't see that wearing out TOO much. #24, #4, and #5 are all o-rings/bushings that could probably wear easier, and wouldn't be too expensive to replace. I was also told to look closely at #8 - this is the plastic piece that the ball actually rests in. It can give a ton of play if it's worn. I went ahead and replaced mine while I was doing this, as well as the dust seal boot #11, since it was ripped towards the top.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ktuned shifter ftw
Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just installed the B&M shifter, damn you were right about the short throws! It's gonna take some getting used to, for sure. I ended up reusing the small o-rings from my stock shifter (#24) because the small red ones that came from B&M looked too flimsy and not wide enough, and one of them started tearing as I was stretching it to put it on! I did use the larger o-rings that B&M provided, to replace stock #5.

It still rattles upon heavy acceleration!! My stock shifter was doing this, and now this B&M is doing the same thing. Replaced #8 and #11 while I was doing this, and greased everything well. Only thing I can think to do is tighten the bolt going through the bottom of the shifter more.. Dang! Any ideas?

It's definitely not my exhaust pipe, because I made sure there was clearance between the pipe and the shift rods.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter - Dual Bend vs Straight / Recommendations