Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short shifter

Well im thinking of pickin up a short shifter. 1 i like how they look 2 if it helps make shifting smoother and quicker thats great too.
My question is...........do you guys think it makes a noticable difference and is it worth it. thanks
Old 12-29-2003, 10:42 AM

hey i got apc shifter from pepboys, i know it apc but hey makes me enjoy my c5 motor and trans even more haha. and it was def a big difference.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:45 AM

oh another question jus poped into my head. Is there really a difference between generic cheap shifters and like B.M. skunk2? i know skunk2 is made of steel but other then that im gussin its all the same?
quick easy install?
Old 12-29-2003, 11:00 AM

Default Re: (SIcoup)

short shifters aren't necessarily any "shorter" as far as what the **** looks like. Teg short shifters are small like that but others don't change in height, but the THROW, thats whats important, is shortened.

A bad short shifter can make it easier to screw up your tranny (drivers mess up trannies, not short shifters). Go for some peace and mind and get something good.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:36 AM
RacerSi

Default Re: Short shifter (SIcoup)

I would get skunk 2 or c's if I were you
Old 12-29-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Short shifter (SIcoup)

I bought a short shifter a while back and just recently installed my stock shifter again. I just don't like the feel of short shifters as much. They are real notchy sometimes and the ones that sit really low like what I had take longer to get to when autocrossing and stuff like that. I put my stock shifter back in and it feels way better. It is much smoother and sits up higher for easier reach. It espescially feels good with my energy suspension shift bushings. So IMO don't waste your money on a short shifter and if you do then get a skunk2 because they are really nice and shift real smooth. Plus they don't break like shitty generic shifters and they sit up at almost stock height for easy reach.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:59 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmm is all i have to say
Old 12-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short shifter (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought a short shifter a while back and just recently installed my stock shifter again. I just don't like the feel of short shifters as much. They are real notchy sometimes and the ones that sit really low like what I had take longer to get to when autocrossing and stuff like that. I put my stock shifter back in and it feels way better. It is much smoother and sits up higher for easier reach. It espescially feels good with my energy suspension shift bushings. So IMO don't waste your money on a short shifter and if you do then get a skunk2 because they are really nice and shift real smooth. Plus they don't break like shitty generic shifters and they sit up at almost stock height for easy reach. </TD></TR></TABLE>

YES!!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Short shifter (slowdx9585)

That all depends on how you like it to feel. I like mine razor sharp and don't mind that it's notchy. I've had complaints of people who have felt mine and they prefer it sloppy. To each their own.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My DC sports does just fine and dandy for me
Old 12-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlifestyle)

Are del Sol shifters shorter than EG civs?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Ebay works fine!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:39 PM

Default Re: (DanW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DanW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are del Sol shifters shorter than EG civs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, del sols (at least the si and vtec) come with a shorter throw than EG civics. I'm installing a B&M ss once it comes in the mail, if I like it you can have firtst dibs on my stock shifter....
Old 12-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIcoup)

cheap shifters will often break just above the ball socket (not fun)

in all honesty I can shift my stock shifter faster then the syncros can keep up sometimes. Putting in ashorter throw shifter will reduce the life of your tranny, no matter what the stunnas tell you. Plus IMO the stock shifter is too short (in length) for me. When I was at the track I was wishing I had one of these so I wouldn't have to reach down so far to shift:

http://www.fastlineperformance.com/shifter.htm

Old 12-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.fastlineperformance.com/shifter.htm </TD></TR></TABLE>
Holy ****. I switched from my DC Sports shifter back to stock to have the **** closer to the steering wheel for easier reach. But wow, that thing puts it RIGHT THERE. I'm going to have to keep that webpage bookmarked and buy one of their shifters when I have the cash.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (elevatethis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elevatethis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">short shifters aren't necessarily any "shorter" as far as what the **** looks like. Teg short shifters are small like that but others don't change in height, but the THROW, thats whats important, is shortened.

A bad short shifter can make it easier to screw up your tranny (drivers mess up trannies, not short shifters). Go for some peace and mind and get something good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Incorrect. By using a short shifter you are forcing the syncros to change the gear speed faster, increasing wear. I've never had a short shifter in any car ive owned, and never will. IMO a stock gsr shifter is plenty short. If you want to upgrade your shifter, just get ES bushing for it.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Daniel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Holy ****. I switched from my DC Sports shifter back to stock to have the **** closer to the steering wheel for easier reach. But wow, that thing puts it RIGHT THERE. I'm going to have to keep that webpage bookmarked and buy one of their shifters when I have the cash. </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.heeltoeauto.com sells them for less BTW
Old 12-29-2003, 01:54 PM

Default Re: (xerox445)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xerox445 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Incorrect. By using a short shifter you are forcing the syncros to change the gear speed faster, increasing wear. I've never had a short shifter in any car ive owned, and never will. IMO a stock gsr shifter is plenty short. If you want to upgrade your shifter, just get ES bushing for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is that true? I mean if your synchros are going to wear more with a short shifter, I mean how much less do they wear with the stock one? Doesn't seem like it would make a difference if you were shifting at the same speed with a stock shifter or a short one. I'm not too sharp on transmission stuff so I wanna hear more on that one....any why would they wear just by moving faster? grinding is one thing, but just moving faster?
Old 12-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (elevatethis)

The link from fastlineperformance.com explains it a little.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Daniel)

i've also got an APC ss and it's great....i've had it for 1 1/2 and perfect ever since.....only 10 bucks new on ebay....i would recomend it in a second
Old 12-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xerox445)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xerox445 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Incorrect. By using a short shifter you are forcing the syncros to change the gear speed faster, increasing wear. I've never had a short shifter in any car ive owned, and never will. IMO a stock gsr shifter is plenty short. If you want to upgrade your shifter, just get ES bushing for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What bullshit!!!!!!!!

You only put it in gear faster if you shift it faster. With a short throw shifter, if you slow your hand down, you wont change a damn thing. With a slow and short move of your hand, you can shift it with the same speed as a faster and longer movement on the stock shifter.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short shifter (slowdx9585)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowdx9585 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

YES!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-29-2003, 05:14 PM

Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You only put it in gear faster if you shift it faster. With a short throw shifter, if you slow your hand down, you wont change a damn thing. With a slow and short move of your hand, you can shift it with the same speed as a faster and longer movement on the stock shifter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

see thats what I was thinking, but put into much better words than I did...
Old 12-30-2003, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What bullshit!!!!!!!!

You only put it in gear faster if you shift it faster. With a short throw shifter, if you slow your hand down, you wont change a damn thing. With a slow and short move of your hand, you can shift it with the same speed as a faster and longer movement on the stock shifter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm . . . ok?? So what are the benifits of having it then? If it's not to speed up the shifting, it takes longer for you hand to reach down to it and you have to be carefull to shift slowly in order not to beat the hell out of your syncro's. . . . I guess they come in ricey colors too so there's always the bling factor.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's no sense in arguing about short shifters because nobody is going to change their opinion. You either love them or hate them.

IMHO, they're annoying and not worth it. They're almost always notchy (this will be argued, read the following)- some people believe that equates to a smooth, clean 'razor sharp' shift.

Notchy does not equal sharp! Notchy means notchy. It feels like you're rowing through a bin of assorted bolts and nuts.

I like to row through butter. Which means no short shifter for me.

Quick Reply: Short shifter