Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifter?

Ok I was lookin into a short throw shifter for my car. And I was thinkin about buying a B&M but i dont know which would be best for what I am building my car for. They have the Standard and Race Version. The different is in the reduction of throw, the standard reduces it by 46% and the race reduces it by 54%. Would it matter which I go with? I am tryin to build my b18c motor to drop into my 00 si at around 450whp. Thanks
Old 10-16-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Short Shifter? (RedlineKustomz)

45074 is my choice. I love it. Thats the race one.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Short Shifter? (johnecon2001)

yea its double the price but is it really worth that? i mean does that 8% make a world of difference cause i say i would.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do short throw shifters make your syncros go bad faster? My buddy went tru 3 trannies in his BMW cause he had short throw...just wondering if it does that to Hondas too
Old 10-16-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Short Shifter? (deadend9009)

yea i was wondering about that myself. cause i am goin to put all new stuff in my GSR transmission.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:49 AM

no thats not true at all

a short throw shifter just shortens the distance you move you hand to **** but the shift linkage still moves the same and the tranny still switches gears the same

can your friend drive stick?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a short shifter on my 01 civic from about a month after I bought it till I did the motor swap (about 2 years), then I put it on with my motor swap...I had zero problems with trannies.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Shifter? (NoBottleJustThrottle)

hey i just run one of the ebay specials it was like 5 bucks and it works good for me
Old 10-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Short Shifter? (MindLess311)

the b&m race is far superior it has a sperical bearing for movement as opposed to the stock ball/socket in the stock shifter, that is the price difference, the regular b&m doesnt have the sperical bearing
Old 10-16-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Short Shifter? (MindLess311)

ya until they break like they all do, i dont even run one anymore i ran the skunk2 for awhile but got sick of it hitting my exaust,
Old 10-16-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Short Shifter? (Crx Jimmy)

Cool, well it looks like I am going with B&M Race Version Short Shifter. Would it hurt to put it on my car before I get my motor done just to get use to the way it shifts? Cause i would guess its a world of difference since ur throw is cut down on half.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:23 PM

try the Skunk 2 dual bend short shifter with the Skunk 2 weighted ****. i have that combo in both my civics and in a previous civic. its awsome and the price for the shifter is about $99. i have had the B & M too ,it is also a good shifter i prefer the Skunk 2 better though. and no it will not hurt to go ahead and install it.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Short Shifter? (EG-EK-RideN)

I have the skunk2 dual bend with a stock **** (custom ****, painted letters and put clear coat on top leaving permanent non sticky armor-all like finish).

I love it, if you don't rush the throws its not hard on the tranny. can really tell the difference when I drive my wife's car and the throws are so long. One of best overall mods I've done.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Shifter? (Snoopa Loop)

when i say it breaks the tranny, i mean it shifts too fast for the syncros to do their job. Yes my friend knows how to drive stick, hes from 6 mile in Detroit.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the evasive short shifter which i got for 35 bucks shipped. its a good shifter, ive had it for about a year and half and just recently added a skunk 2 **** and it feels even better now
Old 10-16-2005, 01:26 PM

With that skunk2 combo.. its easily more expensive than the B&M one. You have to buy the **** and the shifter.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:41 PM

Got a skunk 2. It is the shizzle. Get a skunk and an S2000 shift ****. Great combo since you're trying the JDM look.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: (Hatchbizzle00)

but what about the throws on a skunk, i know that the height is kept at stock for the skunk, but does it actually produce a shorter throw, or does it just "move" the **** closer to you body, caz the shorter the shaft, the shorter the throw, and i know B&M's shifter is short, so i was looking at a B&M shifter with skunk ****, but could some1 clear alllllllll this up, especially about ruining trannys....................
Old 10-16-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: (young noob)

No the skunk dual bend definetly produces shorter throws. Let arm movement back and forth it that is simple enough for you.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Snoopa Loop)

No. The dual bend just places the shifter closer to the driver. It feels like a shorter throw because you don't have tor each out as far to place it into gear.

And short shifters don't kill trannies, your driving/shifting style does. Think of a short shifter this way: take your stock shifter, hack off an inch or two off the top, re-thread it, there ya go. Don't believe me? Drive a car with a short shifter, then the same car with the stock shifter, but hold the stock shifter half way down. Feel the same?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (young noob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but what about the throws on a skunk, i know that the height is kept at stock for the skunk, but does it actually produce a shorter throw, or does it just "move" the **** closer to you body, caz the shorter the shaft, the shorter the throw, and i know B&M's shifter is short, so i was looking at a B&M shifter with skunk ****, but could some1 clear alllllllll this up, especially about ruining trannys....................</TD></TR></TABLE>

correct me if im wrong...
the height of the shifter really doesnt matter, its just for the comfort of the driver, the throw affected below the ball bering which connects to the shifter rods ie:
stock: ----0--- short throw with same height: ----0----
Old 10-16-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: (EK k kay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK k kay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No. The dual bend just places the shifter closer to the driver. It feels like a shorter throw because you don't have tor each out as far to place it into gear.

And short shifters don't kill trannies, your driving/shifting style does. Think of a short shifter this way: take your stock shifter, hack off an inch or two off the top, re-thread it, there ya go. Don't believe me? Drive a car with a short shifter, then the same car with the stock shifter, but hold the stock shifter half way down. Feel the same?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks dude, were thinking on the same page, yea i was just holding the shifter midway on the shifter and shifting, and its way shorter, and no reason to be a dick snoopa loop, yea i was thinking the skunk just put the **** closer, thanks man!
Old 10-16-2005, 03:45 PM

B&M is pretty good but look for a reputable source. I THOUGHT I was getting the whole deal from an e-bay seller and all they sent me was the lever. You'll need some OEM parts also, couple bushings and a bitch pin. It's not hard to install if you remove the midsection of your exhaust. Have fun.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yoej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yoej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

correct me if im wrong...
the height of the shifter really doesnt matter, its just for the comfort of the driver, the throw affected below the ball bering which connects to the shifter rods ie:
stock: ----0--- short throw with same height: ----0----
</TD></TR></TABLE>
your absolutely right, the length of the throw has nothing to do with the top height unless it is drastically shorter, the distance from the pivoting ball to where the linkage is bolted is where the magic happens, go b&m my girlfriend has a skunk2 dual bend, I prefer the b&m because its straight
Old 10-16-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: (Hondizzle!)

so how is the pivoting ball compared between the skunk2 and b&m, also, i was looking at the spoon sports black shift ****, just caz i like the fact that its black and red, and thats what im trying to make my interior like, and plus its plastic, so it wont get hot or cold as easily as metal, but its light as hell, and skunk2 is swearing that more weight is better on the top end of the shifter, has any1 had a spoon and skunk and tell me if there is a comfort/performance of one over the other? thanks

Quick Reply: Short Shifter?