Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short Ram vs Cold Air

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Ram vs Cold Air

i just don't know what the difference is, someone. please educate me.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:38 AM

Short ram, the piping stays in your engine bay while cold air locates the filter outside the engine bay into the bumper so it will suck in colder air rather that the hot air in the engine bay.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:38 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Ram vs Cold Air (DemostheneZ)

use the search!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jeffk182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffk182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Short ram, the piping stays in your engine bay while cold air locates the filter outside the engine bay into the bumper so it will suck in colder air rather that the hot air in the engine bay.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Ram vs Cold Air (Vtecin94dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecin94dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use the search!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i did, let's see if you do better
Old 07-23-2004, 11:40 AM

Default Re: (Art In Motion)

Does it make a HP difference between shot ram and cai?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ComingSoonNearYou)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DemostheneZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i did, let's see if you do better</TD></TR></TABLE>

SEARCH you lazy bastard.....this has been covered in VERY recent threads....
Old 07-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sijray21)

i DID search, i never asked for HP differences. i asked what is different, i googled both and i found pictures of ram air IN engine bays and outside. and CAI's IN and outside engine bays.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:44 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DemostheneZ)

search in this web site... up on the top righthand side of your screen, what are u having troubles understanding with the intake setups?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:58 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ComingSoonNearYou)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ComingSoonNearYou &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does it make a HP difference between shot ram and cai?</TD></TR></TABLE>

To answer the simplest why - **** YES!

Cold air = more dense = more amount of oxygen able to be combusted in the cylinders.
Hot air - less dense = oppisite of what I said above.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DemostheneZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i did, let's see if you do better</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hate ****** liars....

Your search for cai vs short ram returned 67 results.

this post neds to be locked or deleted
Old 07-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Electrician

You didn't Search.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=679224
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=529876
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=351040
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=347244
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=153382
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=67163

Lock.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:27 PM

has anyone ever read TUNER PERFORMANCE REPORTS? they tested all kinds of intakes and i think you guys will be very surprised.. i believe the site is tprmag.com
Old 07-23-2004, 02:39 PM

IF a Cold-air intake makes more power than a short ram you cant tell exactly how much if any. For a cold air intake to work you have to be moving and since your car is strapped to a dyno no air is being rushed into the bumper. Because of this you would be sucking just as hot air in from the bumper as you would from the open hood of your car into the short ram so you don't know how much more power the cold air intake is actually making. I think the difference between the two is so little you would be better off getting a short ram and spending the extra 100$ somewhere else.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: (electronb16si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by electronb16si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> For a cold air intake to work you have to be moving </TD></TR></TABLE>

NO.... That is a RAM Air intake...

CAI breathes air from under the car outside of the engine bay...
Short Ram Breathes from the front of the engine bay
Ram air breathes from a hole in your bumper/ front of the car

wow i can't believe this topic is such a hard thing to understand.. Please do more research before posting...
Old 07-23-2004, 02:56 PM

I REALLY DONT MEAN TO START AN ARGUMENT but just for conversation sake.

If your car is on a dyno your hood is open. The car is sitting still. The air the intake is sucking from the bumper is not going to be "cold" air compared to what the short ram is sucking from the exposed engine bay right?

Like I said I am not trying to start an argumnet it's just for conversation sake.

But yea the concept of a short ram vs. cold air is very basic and easy to understand. I wasn't trying to make it complicated I was just explaining it's hard to actually document the power difference made by a cold air intake compared to a short ram.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (electronb16si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by electronb16si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IF a Cold-air intake makes more power than a short ram you cant tell exactly how much if any. For a cold air intake to work you have to be moving and since your car is strapped to a dyno no air is being rushed into the bumper. Because of this you would be sucking just as hot air in from the bumper as you would from the open hood of your car into the short ram so you don't know how much more power the cold air intake is actually making. I think the difference between the two is so little you would be better off getting a short ram and spending the extra 100$ somewhere else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you reworded it wrong. cai or short ram is always working whenever the engine is on. when there is throttle response both create a higher vacuum like force which draws air into each cylinder mixed with igniting gas forms combustion in each cylinder to drive the pistons.

now that thing on cai not working when it is on the dyno, in a way yes it is hard to simulate the surrounding environment on a dyno as opposed to the car actually moving on the road, dynoers try simulating this by putting a large fan infront of the car while on the dyno. so what you meant was that you may get different results on dyno than actually driving the car. well i guess one way to tell your cai is "working" is by checking the throttle body temperature's when the cai is installed and when the short ram is installed, definitely you'll be getting cooler air. but you have to take into account many different factors, like air temperature, humidity all that affects the performance of your engine. you may have heard guys saying when they take their cars to the strip some car junkines talk about elevation, you maybe asking what the heck, elevation? the thing is different lands masses are not all even, some are higher and some are lower in elevation. if the strip is near a body of water, it may then result in much much cooler air surrounding (high school geopgrahy).

anyways enough of the theory and edumacation, both work.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: (frostcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frostcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the thing is different lands masses are not all even, some are higher and some are lower in elevation. if the strip is near a body of water, it may then result in much much cooler air surrounding (high school geopgrahy).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actualy elevation has to do with the amount of oxygen that is actually in the air.

And yes a lot of things come into account when determining HP on a dyno... but it's all based on science so if you have all the information you will beable to determine the differences... ie: run a short ram on the dyno, then throw the CAI on (same dyno same day same everything except the intake) you will see the difference...
Old 07-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Grimm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grimm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actualy elevation has to do with the amount of oxygen that is actually in the air.

And yes a lot of things come into account when determining HP on a dyno... but it's all based on science so if you have all the information you will beable to determine the differences... ie: run a short ram on the dyno, then throw the CAI on (same dyno same day same everything except the intake) you will see the difference...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes...
"Barometric pressure is a measure of how much mass of air, i.e. how many air molecules, exist above the point of measurement, all the way up to the top of the atmosphere."

"Therefore, barometric pressure decreases with elevation."
Old 07-25-2004, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jeffk182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffk182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Short ram, the piping stays in your engine bay while cold air locates the filter outside the engine bay into the bumper so it will suck in colder air rather that the hot air in the engine bay.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-25-2004, 10:26 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (jdm98hb)

they have fans at dyno shops lolo
Old 07-26-2004, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShowTymers619)

Go short ram...cold airs have the risk of sucking water into your engine in a real rainy day and destroying your engine fo sho!
Old 07-26-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Re: (skaterguy)

I heard that it takes a second to see any throttle response when you use a CAI. Is this true? Does it take a moment for your car to respond?
Old 07-26-2004, 08:06 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (skaterguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skaterguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go short ram...cold airs have the risk of sucking water into your engine in a real rainy day and destroying your engine fo sho!</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, don't waste your money on short ram. Just by a K&N drop in filter...
Old 07-26-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Re: (crashN2u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crashN2u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I heard that it takes a second to see any throttle response when you use a CAI. Is this true? Does it take a moment for your car to respond?</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is quite possible since the air has longer to travel then a short ram, but compared to a stock intake... I don't think so. In either case you can adjust the tension on the throttle cable (to some degree) to get a quicker response.

Quick Reply: Short Ram vs Cold Air