Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

short ram vs cold air

Old 12-09-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short ram vs cold air

my first civic had a SRI and it proformed amazing. i'm gonna get a CAI for my new civic but i heard rumors that the extra distance causes lag in smaller engines. from your opinion is the colder air really noticable? i'm pretty sure the OEM intake is cracy ineffective from the looks of the piping.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:50 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not going to notice a power gain from any intake on your stock civic. Keep your stock airbox, buy a K&N filter.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:58 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

OK? there is a VERY noticeable gain even with a SRI. i'm asking is the colder air notice able? is the sound alot quieter because it's farther? is there really a lag? and on a civic are you really in risk of water lock when it sits where the air box was? i do live in washington state.....lol
Old 12-09-2006, 07:59 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ryantroglia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ryantroglia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK? there is a VERY noticeable gain even with a SRI. i'm asking is the colder air notice able? is the sound alot quieter because it's farther? is there really a lag? and on a civic are you really in risk of water lock when it sits where the air box was? i do live in washington state.....lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do too.

And just because your ears and your butt dyno say your car is faster doesn't make it so.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a short ram, it'll shorten throttle response noticeably. Maybe even kick in 1/2 a whp or so.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Syndacate)

for short rams.

all motors respond diffenently to bolt ons. a k20 can gain lots from just an intake. a D series have lost power with intakes
Old 12-09-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Re: (THC07)

aem stats 4-6 short ram? 7-10 cold air? hmm. my questions may be ignorant but don't responed with sarcasim. this is sad, butt dyno? the question was simple.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I do too.

And just because your ears and your butt dyno say your car is faster doesn't make it so. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i thought i was the only one who called it the "butt dyno"

short ram - quicker throttle response, but warmer air
CAI - very slightly lagged throttle response, but colder air

i've owned both, and honestly my butt dyno hasn't noticed much difference. the "lag" is very slight, only because with a short ram is basically instant response.

in a drag race you'd have better gains with a cold air, however in an auto-cross style i could see the instant throttle response resulting in better times.

i vote Cold Air FTW !!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Re: (Tatakai)

i had a cold air and the bypass valve broke so i just stuck the filter on the top half, pretty much making it a short ram and i didnt notice it was any slower or better throttle response... so i say go with the short ram and save your money
Old 12-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (k e v i n)

CAI's cost more? lol, i've always got mine through trades or cheap transactions. lol.

my current AEM v1 came with the car

but if it's a significant price difference then i would vote short ram also
Old 12-09-2006, 11:16 PM

Default Re: (Tatakai)

I like CAI better and especially when you cut a hole where the oem fog light goes, i "felt" some gains over the short ram up higher end RPM.
just my opinion
Old 12-09-2006, 11:28 PM

You are seriously lying to yourself if you can say that you felt anything from ANY sort of intake unless you had a dead rat or possum stuck in the arm of the stock unit. I'm not talking ****, but I can safely say that EVERY person on this site has at least an intake in thier cars and you are the first to ever say you "felt" any difference. I know you WANT to feel an improvement since you dropped money on a performance part but I doubt it actually happened.

But just stick with the short ram. Throttle response will improve for sure and you wont have to worry about sucking up water and possibly hydrolocking.

But as you learn about engine packages and proper building you'll see that it really doesnt matter which intake you end up with as they do basically nothing as far as "the big picture" is concerned. Save your money, get the cheapest SRI you can find and throw a K&N filter on it then read up about real engine modifications and spend the money wiser.

But we all know that most people will just disregard the information they do not WANT to hear and will buy whatever they want to anyways. So basically, do what you want, claim to feel what you want...and hopefully you'll learn the truth in the future. Trust me, the more you learn about engine building and putting together the proper package for the powerband and horsepower goals you wish to achieve and steer clear of "lego building", you'll see what I'm talking about.

And for those who dont know, "lego building" is buying overhyped parts with no knowledge of how they are supposed to work TOGETHER, slapping them on and expecting crazy gains meaning "it says in this magazine that this intake will give me 10hp, and this header will give 15, and this exhaust will give 20. That must mean if I buy these 3 parts i'll get 45hp. So since my civic is rated at 120, I will then be pushing 165hp and i'll be MUCH faster." Hopefully everyone knows by now that this is the furthest possible thing from the truth.

Good luck with your insanely critical intake decision.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

louder doesn't mean faster.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 AM

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are seriously lying to yourself if you can say that you felt anything from ANY sort of intake unless you had a dead rat or possum stuck in the arm of the stock unit. I'm not talking ****, but I can safely say that EVERY person on this site has at least an intake in thier cars and you are the first to ever say you "felt" any difference. I know you WANT to feel an improvement since you dropped money on a performance part but I doubt it actually happened.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can't say people did not "feel" a difference. Many people have "felt" it on here. But almost all of them have decided that it was just the noise and better throttle response that made them think it was making power, even a little. My auto ex, before it was stolen, did not make much of anything with the short ram, if it did... But it did allow me to get MUCH better response and open the throttle less on the highway... So that was a tricky thing to look at. At WOT, not much difference if any. But at slight throttle, it breathed better apparently. So... That explains away the "felt" difference.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:29 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (instrument)

Obviously people have some pretty stong opinions on here... I just wish they were a little more helpful and a lot less "rant"ful (if that's even a word).

To the guy that asked the original question, I see that you're relatively new so I will try to help you. Your question is quite common for new people on this site, so the best thing you can do is learn how to use the search function as there is a lot of information on this site that has been covered in great depth such as this question. After you search and do some reading you may have some questions which you can ask in the open forum.

To everyone else that thinks air intakes are a waste of time in the "grand scheme" of an engine/car build project, let me say this... Not everyone that ventures onto this site is going to build their car/engine like you did. There will be people that are interested in performance and cars that will only ever install some minor bolt-ons because of money, the type of car and possibly a whole set of other priorities. For those people, simple questions like this ARE important and deserve just as much help and consideration as anyone else on here.

I can honestly say that when my car was stock, the first thing I added was an AEM cold air intake and I noticed a big difference, more than anything else I did up until cams. It made more of a difference than the cat-back exhaust or the DC header I installed later. Yes the car "felt" faster in everyone's favorite "butt dyno" description but it definitely made a noticable increase on my shop dynojet 248c in mid range and top end (it never lost any power anywhere over the stock power curve). The stock airbox is one of the most restrictive parts on any Honda because the factory tries to keep them quiet.

I did not notice any "lag" at all with that type of intake and if anything I felt it was more responsive driving around town, over the stock airbox. I also drove in plenty of rain for years and never had one problem with sucking water into my intake.

In my personal experience, people that only ever intend on installing basic bolt-ons on their cars, the best "bang for the buck" modification you can make is an air intake, of which I would personally choose the cold air style.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ryantroglia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ryantroglia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aem stats 4-6 short ram? 7-10 cold air? hmm. my questions may be ignorant but don't responed with sarcasim. this is sad, butt dyno? the question was simple. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet y0. I can sell you an exhaust and tell you it adds 20whp. Doesn't mean its true.

Short ram- low to mid range power, better throttle responce
CAI- Top end power.

You decide.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can honestly say that when my car was stock, the first thing I added was an AEM cold air intake and I noticed a big difference, more than anything else I did up until cams. It made more of a difference than the cat-back exhaust or the DC header I installed later. Yes the car "felt" faster in everyone's favorite "butt dyno" description but it definitely made a noticable increase on my shop dynojet 248c in mid range and top end (it never lost any power anywhere over the stock power curve). The stock airbox is one of the most restrictive parts on any Honda because the factory tries to keep them quiet.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you are saying the 2-3whp you gained you actually felt it?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:46 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (cambopheonix56)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cambopheonix56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you are saying the 2-3whp you gained you actually felt it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not only could I feel it but it was a lot more than 2-3 hp through the midrange of the powercurve, more like 6-7 if memory serves. It was about 2-3hp down low and about 3-4 at the top end. Remember, it's the greater the AVERAGE power, not peak power that makes a car faster. I could care less what the peak power difference is over stock...I want to see what it does everywhere below that point, especially for a daily driver street car. For me and most of the customers cars that we installed cold air intakes on, the cold air made the most noticable differences on the butt dyno and the real dyno.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> for short rams.

all motors respond diffenently to bolt ons. a k20 can gain lots from just an intake. a D series have lost power with intakes</TD></TR></TABLE>

ding ding ding. the thread should have been closed after this was said. ^
Old 12-10-2006, 12:02 PM
iDeNtiTy

actully.... my d16y8 on a crx performs really well with the AEM cold air intake
Old 12-10-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: short ram vs cold air (ryantroglia)

CAI is closer to the ground closer to the puddle. i have gone through some pretty good sized puddles with a SRI got scared pulled over and there was no moisture around the SRI and for power gain i didnt notice anything
Old 12-10-2006, 12:10 PM

Default Re: (Type-Ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type-Ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actully.... my d16y8 on a crx performs really well with the AEM cold air intake</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you dyno it???
Old 12-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDMej1)

wow...so many people just straight talking ****. i feel bad when this happens to kinda new people.

who cares if you can feel the differance or not with your "butt dyno" really dyno will show some power gains. i mean sure maybe not ten horses...but i mean hell 2 horse power is two horse power. really most people just want intakes for the sound, and in my opinion that is worth it.

i do understand that you have a stock motor, and for that reason i would totally just go with a short ram. there isnt much differance in the power of a cold or short rammed intake, and its not like your stock d series gets THAT hot. and it'll save you mad cash.

as far as people saying that an intake doesnt matter that much in the grand scheme of things...i beg to differ. show me one car with a built motor that decides to keep the stock box. the more air you can get into your built motor the better. thats just my opinion though.

go get a short ram. you'll be happy with your slightly better than stock throttle responce and you wont have to worry about large amounts of dirt or water getting sucked up
Old 12-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pr0ject93hb)

This thread is Dead, leave it be.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This thread is Dead, leave it be. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol imma bump it again...just for that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: short ram vs cold air