Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

short ram intake w/hydrolock??

Old 09-11-2002, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short ram intake w/hydrolock??

i have a iceman intake. for the fall and winter coming, it rains here alot so i'm worried of hydrolock. If i convert into short ram, there is NO possible way to hydrolock correct? Also, since its short ram, can i just leave the resonator behind teh bumper and not worry abou it? thanks
Old 09-11-2002, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short ram intake w/hydrolock?? (VTEC CX)

thanks. also i assume the short ram setup will be louder than the CAI?
Old 09-11-2002, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: short ram intake w/hydrolock?? (civicboy95)

thanks. also i assume the short ram setup will be louder than the CAI?
a little bit yes.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short ram intake w/hydrolock?? (KAMiN)

ive also noticed cold weather makes it even louder
either that or my ears get clogged a lil during the summer
Old 09-12-2002, 03:08 AM

is NO possible way to hydrolock correct?
If you drive into a lake its possible. But other than that you should be !!
Old 09-12-2002, 03:44 AM

Default Re: short ram intake w/hydrolock?? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

AHHHH my brain and my eyes.

Is that what they use when you try to sue them for hydro lock?? lol
Old 09-12-2002, 03:46 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a iceman intake... it rains here alot... If i convert into short ram, there is NO possible way to hydrolock correct?
Yes, YOU CAN hydrolock your motor with a 'wetlands' setup! There is no such thing as a waterproof intake. I don't know why I save stuff like this, but lucky for you. Read it carefully, bro...

<FONT COLOR="blue">From Knight Engineering, makers of the Iceman Intake:</FONT>

Q: Do I have to worry about water ingesting into my engine?

Recently there has been renewed discussion on the hazards of ingesting water into engines through their intake systems. The danger is very real, and unfortunately the possibility of ingesting water is true of all systems, whether the system is a production or after-market product. Simply stated, where a vacuum exists, anything fitting through the intake openings will be sucked in - dirty air, foreign objects and yes, water.

A significant difference between production and after-market air intake systems, relative to water ingesting concerns, is the physical location of the air-induction points. Another is the wide assortment of cavities, and other contortions that air are forced to follow while fighting its way towards the engine. In short, the factors that restrict airflow in production systems also help to block and/or trap water to a greater degree than after-market systems. But, as you know, production systems that are high and "dry" are also hot, restrictive, and not very efficient overall. Which brings us back to our chief objective - increasing engine performance through improved intake systems.

We deliver on our claim that our systems are the highest performers on the market. We wish that we could also claim that they miraculously part water from air. But, they don't. Neither does any other after-market intake system that draws air saturated with water. For manufacturers to claim otherwise, or, mislead you by not addressing the problem, makes them both wrong and liable. For anyone to believe that such "waterproof" systems exist (with or without attached gadgets), and not take appropriate care of his or her engine, is worse. Heed the warning!

Knight Engineering recognized and acted on the potential problem of ingesting water into the engine during certain unfavorable weather conditions from the time we first introduced the ICEMAN COOL AIR SYSTEM to the market. After countless hours of research, design, testing, and re-testing duct designs, by-pass and flapper valve, water traps, etc., (that continues to date).

<FONT COLOR="red">We find that for now the surest way of eliminating the ingestion problem without sacrificing performance is to eliminate the source - i.e. the water. In short, don't drive through it.</FONT>

Along the way we also found that introducing any of the devices mentioned above directly into the intake system obstructs the airflow, resulting in a substantial loss of power. What's the point of streamlining and accelerating airflow through redesigned intake systems, and then placing a stop or yield-right-way sign in its path?

However, we recognize that there are situations where you must drive to safe haven. If so, then do right for yourself and your engine by not going after your personal 1/4-mile time in getting there. For other than such situations, do one better and switch to your street configuration for the rainy season or expected inclement weather, as discussed below.

At Knight Engineering we design every cool air system to provide you the highest performance obtainable. The natural assumption is that you will call on you engine to deliver its utmost performance under racing conditions, so preventing water ingestion is not the primary objective. However, we also acknowledged that everyday driving conditions are not always ideal. That is why we developed a very effective way to alleviate the problem by greatly reducing the risk of ingesting water with a quick change to our street configuration. The beauty of it is that you get the added protection against the elements, plus the top performing street kit available, without sacrificing the extra power developed by the competition kit when in that mode. In short, the better of two worlds. It is ironic that Knight Engineering is up front in warning its valued customers about water ingestion, that discussion revolves around the ICEMAN COOL AIR SYSTEMS, as if we were the only product susceptible to the problem. But that’s cool. Informed customers have always been the essence of our success.

Not to make light of the issue but in summary, it's about your baby's performance! You feel its pulse, take its temp, oil its joints, wipe its bottom, feed it its octane formula, take it for a ride, teach it to run fast, and clear its breathing passages (with an ICEMAN). And, now you may even have to keep it from wetting itself? The horror!
Old 09-12-2002, 03:59 AM

cliffnotes WOO HOO !!!
Old 09-12-2002, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I almost hydrolocked my old civic with a short ram intake.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:54 AM

Default Re: short ram intake w/hydrolock?? (97itr86)

I almost hydrolocked my old civic with a short ram intake.
How ? I would like to hear this one
Old 09-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could u give some details on how you did this with a short ram?
Old 09-12-2002, 10:59 AM

why wouldnt you just get an AEM with the trusty ol bypass valve?
Old 09-12-2002, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was driving through Alabama going to a junkyard taking backroads and I hit the bottom of a hill doing about 45 mph. The car cut off I had to get out of the car take off the intake let it dry out and I put my extra filter on and it cranked right up.
When there is a large amount of water hitting an openly exposed filter it can hydrolock the motor.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short ram intake w/hydrolock?? (Synthesis)

Those trusty ole bypass valves sometimes fail. The first batch had no support in them so they tended to collapse to the suction.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:07 AM
HT White Ops

Read their HYPE very carefully. The AEM bypass valve only works if the air filter is completely submerged in water. Unless you drive in bumper-high water, it won't open.

...eliminates the unlikely chance of water ingestion should the filter element become wet from deep puddles, rain, hail, sleet or snow–or any other scenario in which the filter element could encounter or become <FONT COLOR="red">submerged</FONT> in water. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe on the same axis as the throttle body centerline. Should a drop in pressure occur within the pipe due to filter <FONT COLOR="red">submersion</FONT>, the valve shuts down induction at the filter and routes incoming air through its external orifices, eliminating any chance of water ingestion.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:56 AM

Read their HYPE very carefully. The AEM bypass valve only works if the air filter is completely submerged in water. Unless you drive in bumper-high water, it won't open.

...eliminates the unlikely chance of water ingestion should the filter element become wet from deep puddles, rain, hail, sleet or snow–or any other scenario in which the filter element could encounter or become <FONT COLOR="red">submerged</FONT> in water. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe on the same axis as the throttle body centerline. Should a drop in pressure occur within the pipe due to filter <FONT COLOR="red">submersion</FONT>, the valve shuts down induction at the filter and routes incoming air through its external orifices, eliminating any chance of water ingestion.
I dunno but that says that it works if it encounters or is submerged in that quote from AEM. That means if it gets wet or is submerged. I think if you have a bypass valve (i do) and drive carefully you'll be OK and you won't have to worry about hydrolock. if for some reason i do go through 2 feet of water at the bottom of a hill at least i know i'll be safe. I wouldn't get one of those hot air intakes
Old 09-13-2002, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude the bypass doesn't always work.When I use to work at NOPI people filed complaints of still hydrolocking their motor. The bypass valve reduces the chance not eliminate it.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:54 AM

Default Re: short ram intake w/hydrolock?? (97itr86)

do away with the foolish cai and stick with the ram is a 1/2 h.p. worth hydrolocking your motor later or getting a half *** bypass valve that doesnt really work yet ratrher a marketing scheme to fool the consumer into dumping more money into a product that really is more expensive than it should be or should the consumer should have just went out and got the short ram then really not have to worry about anything else and taken the money he/she saved buying the short ram over the cai and a bypass valve and go get a muffler or cam gears............I think so.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:16 AM
HT White Ops

I dunno but that says that it works if it encounters or is submerged in that quote from AEM. That means if it gets wet or is submerged...
Hey, let's test the theory! Have one of your buds rev your motor while you spray water on your AEM with a garden hose. Come back and tell us what happened...

Old 09-16-2002, 07:43 AM

obviously AEM has conducted these tests, thats why they sell the thing. my point is its an extra precaution, and CAI's are fine if you don't carelessly drive through a foot of water and then bitch how your car hydrolocked. If for some reason i hit unavoidable deep water i have extra protection. Other then that situation the filter is protected in the wheel well and isn't exposed to rain or anything.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:04 PM
HT White Ops

obviously AEM has conducted these tests, thats why they sell the thing.
They test them, and demonstrate them, by submerging the air filter in a 'fish tank' full of water. When the filter is fully submerged, the valve will open. When it is not fully submerged, it does nothing. IT DOES NOT MAGICALLY SEPERATE WATER FROM AIR. Read what it ACTUALLY says on their page, not what you WANT it to say.