Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short intake. Pros & Cons

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short intake. Pros & Cons

Hello there. I just recently bought a 1993 sivic LX.
I'm the first time Honda owner and I'm ipressed. Very nice car. The fuel economy i very good.
I was woundering about putting a short air intake pipe (with K&N filter) instead of regular plastic box. I heard that they actually don't do any good but the sound is cool.

I gues my question is: Can it damage the engine?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short intake. Pros & Cons (acider)

you will see a couple of ponies out of it and its not gonna hurt your engine
Old 12-22-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Short intake. Pros & Cons (cambopheonix56)

should make the car a little more powerful and increase gas milage I suppose.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello there. I just recently bought a 1993 sivic LX.</TD></TR></TABLE>

for gods sake, its CIVIC
Old 12-22-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: (loclowd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by loclowd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

for gods sake, its CIVIC</TD></TR></TABLE>

ROFL. lets just pretend that the s key is next to the c key and that it was a typo so he wont get flammed
Old 12-22-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: (loclowd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by loclowd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

for gods sake, its CIVIC</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha.

yeah the sound is better thats about it.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe the cold air intake will definitely give you more peak HP...makes sense...talking in cold(er) air vs taking in air from the engine bay where it's gonna be hotter. I think some short rams, if designed properly, MAY give better mid rpm power due to the shorter length of the piping though. I like the cold air better myself. Neither will harm your engine though...not unless you drive through a deep puddle with the cold air
Old 12-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya you will get a little more with it..the more air you can get into the engine the more hp you can produce..a K&N filter is good because it lets more air in but it doesnt filter out as good as a paper filter does...just because it wont filter out as a good as a paper it wont hurt your engine.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:54 PM

imo, the cold air isnt all what it is hyped up to be. first, i thikn it rains where you live and its really bad for the motor if water get sucked it (hydro lock) next the piping is running next to the motor and it is heated up by the motor, thus the cold air that is sucked in is warmed up by the warm piping. thats why iceman intakes are supposivly good, cuz they use heat resistent piping. but in the end, and intake is and intake, as long as you have a k&n filter, its all the same
Old 12-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ragecloak)

cold air intakes really arent any colder than sri's. neither one will give you any increase in hp or torque that you can actually feel. waste of money if youre not going to do anything else to the car.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (peacexisxfree)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peacexisxfree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cold air intakes really arent any colder than sri's. neither one will give you any increase in hp or torque that you can actually feel. waste of money if youre not going to do anything else to the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>
dunno about that...i sprayed temperature resistant paint on my CAI, thing is always cold to the touch. Whereas my brother has a SR in his and it stays warm...tried putting some temperature resistant paint on his and it was still warm.
My wallet felt the difference in gas mileage too
Old 12-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just take off that huge resonator box on your current intake, throw a k&n in there and yur done.

nice deep sound and your own short/cai
Old 12-23-2005, 01:07 AM

prototype racing velocity stack or v.gd, a lot more people are using them although you need a big filter for a 6" stack
Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 AM

CAi's are usually give a deeper tone and SRi's are on the high pitch side.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya you will get a little more with it..the more air you can get into the engine the more hp you can produce..a K&N filter is good because it lets more air in but it doesnt filter out as good as a paper filter does...just because it wont filter out as a good as a paper it wont hurt your engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

New AEM filters supposedly filter better than the regular paper filters but aside from that they usually have to sacrafice filtration for flow.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just take off that huge resonator box on your current intake, throw a k&n in there and yur done.

nice deep sound and your own short/cai</TD></TR></TABLE>

Deep? It sounds like ghetto crap. Its like a loud hollowed out foghorn.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">imo, the cold air isnt all what it is hyped up to be. first, i thikn it rains where you live and its really bad for the motor if water get sucked it (hydro lock) next the piping is running next to the motor and it is heated up by the motor, thus the cold air that is sucked in is warmed up by the warm piping. thats why iceman intakes are supposivly good, cuz they use heat resistent piping. but in the end, and intake is and intake, as long as you have a k&n filter, its all the same</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can only hydrolock if your ENTIRE filter gets submerged AND your driving with a WOT. If you get some water in your engine it doesnt hurt it. Afterall, the byproduct of any hydrocarbon being burnt is Co2 and H2O. K & N's are not the know all end all.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1194241

Now a Hype-r is nowhere close to a y8 but it gives you an idea of the improvements. One guy had a stock airbox with a spoon drop-in, the other guy had a J's whale *****. The CAI showed significant gains over both.

Lastly, heat shielding is so incredibly inexpensive. Just slap some paint or insulation on and your done.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peacexisxfree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cold air intakes really arent any colder than sri's. neither one will give you any increase in hp or torque that you can actually feel. waste of money if youre not going to do anything else to the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that why CAI's usually produce about 2-10 hp more than SRI's? I felt the difference in my y8 when I added my v2 intake.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello there. I just recently bought a 1993 sivic LX.
I'm the first time Honda owner and I'm ipressed. Very nice car. The fuel economy i very good.
I was woundering about putting a short air intake pipe (with K&N filter) instead of regular plastic box. I heard that they actually don't do any good but the sound is cool.

I gues my question is: Can it damage the engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

To answer your question. No damage can be done outside of possible hydrolock. You will get better power and a little better gas mileage. If your just going to be driving like a regular guy, you probably wont be in the high RPM range and you may want to go with an SRI because they provide better low and midrange power. That, plus you may not want to waste too much money on parts that are engine specific if you have a mini-me or an engine swap in mind.