Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Shop Put New Struts On My Car and The Fron End Is Too High?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop Put New Struts On My Car and The Fron End Is Too High?

Okay, so long story short. Needed an alignment and new shocks, took it to the shop, they re - did my whole front end and threw on a new pair of struts and springs and threw out my shot lowered coilovers. Thing rides amazing now, don't get me wrong. When I picked it up, they said it sits at stock height now which I wasn't against. I would miss the half inch gap but w/e. Well, I've been driving it for the rest of the day and the height is nagging the hell out of me. It looks like the front sits half an inch higher than the rear. It looks like I have 4 to 5" of wheel gap and 6" or maybe more of gap from the bottom of my bumper to the ground. No way my Civic came like that stock.

So, what can I do? Would the set they put on be for a different Honda? Would the set they put on be adjustable or is it one set height? If I can adjust it, do I lose ride comfort and strut life the more I lower it to an acceptable height? I need this thing lowered in the front, my friends are calling it a lifted s10 -_-.

Can get pics tomorrow, way too dark right now.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shop Put New Struts On My Car and The Fron End Is Too High?

Did they tell you what struts they put on? How can anyone know if they're adjustable or not? lol
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by liful
Did they tell you what struts they put on? How can anyone know if they're adjustable or not? lol
Right, but I was going on the assumption they were either OEM (doubtful) or struts from Advance Auto (considering I saw their truck there). I know they aren't some special lowering kit or anything. So OEM replacement. Doubt they'd be adjustable. They ride amazing whatever they are. Honestly, I assume they aren't adjustable but it makes no sense why it sits so high. I can look at the company name on them tomorrow and stuff. Like I said, it's too late right now.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shocks does not effect your height, it's the spring that will adjust the height of the car, and it's not adjustable. If you want to drop it, you have 2 option, lower springs or coilovers. Which may lower your comfort.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres no chance they put adjustable shock on, cause you would have noticed it on the bill! big money
Old 06-21-2011, 07:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by shawn_crx
shocks does not effect your height, it's the spring that will adjust the height of the car, and it's not adjustable. If you want to drop it, you have 2 option, lower springs or coilovers. Which may lower your comfort.
Well, right. But some struts have adjustable bottoms that you can screw and when you tighten it, it compresses and tightens the spring. That would obviously take away comfort though. But then again, I guess I just answered my own question hm? Still, I just don't get why the set makes my front end so high. Maybe the shop adjusted them all the way out for maximum comfort? All I want to do is cut the gap in half and buy a lower suspension sometime next summer, I'll live with these for now since they ride so well. Kind of disappoints me that when I lower them, I'm going to lose a lot of that comfort.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by ozh_hawaiian
theres no chance they put adjustable shock on, cause you would have noticed it on the bill! big money
Price was $330. Sound like adjustable strut price ranges? Was also a family friend shop so there's a discount in that.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's the brand new springs they settle in the next few weeks. it will drop maybe 1/2-1 inch. i guess this is the first time you've seen a civic with new springs lol, they all sit like that. you say you car never sat like that but when did you buy the car? and put in coilovers?? in 10+ years from now your car will be sitting like it did when you bought it.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe the strut chair higher than the ones before

what brand are they because i have a honda oem and kyb strut and the chairs on differ heights
Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 98greensi
it's the brand new springs they settle in the next few weeks. it will drop maybe 1/2-1 inch. i guess this is the first time you've seen a civic with new springs lol, they all sit like that. you say you car never sat like that but when did you buy the car? and put in coilovers?? in 10+ years from now your car will be sitting like it did when you bought it.
Bought the car with the coils so I couldn't really tell you. I hope you're right and they'll settle. I mean, this front end is ridiculous. I'll get the pics up if I can.

Also, I can't figure out the company, I don't see anything visible from the outside and I feel like calling the shop just to ask what company they are is a wasted call.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That wheel gap just looks crazy. The bottom one was a bad angle but there's a good 6" or more under the skirts and front bumper. You can easily tell the front is higher than the back. The thing feels like it's at diesel height. Is that really going to settle an inch or two? If it does, that'd be great and I wouldn't have this ugly problem anymore.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Must have used aftermarket junk. The springs are NOT going to settle even as much as 1" (maybe 1/4"). That just doesn't happen. Take it back and tell them it's unacceptable. This is just the reason I don't let people work on my cars.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just curious, but I'm assuming you had coilovers in the rear as well, right? Seeings how you only had the front replaced. Or were you running sleeve type coilovers? Regardless of that, you can't expect to be able to adjust your struts for ride height. The only adjustability you would get out of them "assuming" they can be adjusted would be for dampening. Like shawn_crx said springs are your only other choice to lower the front or replacing them with coilovers.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

They wouldn't have gotten Civic and Cr-V confused right? I mean, these guys seemed like they don't work on foreigns a lot. I feel like the dude threw on struts for a Cr-V.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

And of course, when I told my dad it looks wrong, I got a scolding for being some "stupid kid who throws on bad springs and ruins the car's height." and that "I'm just not used to my car being at stock height. I also don't think he likes the fact that I am disagreeing with work his old friend did. I mean, that front end has got to be sitting too high. There is no way the Cavalier I parked beside at work today has a lower stock height than my Civic. And by lower, I mean it makes it a good inch.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

And to further add, I just took measurements. The space under my Side Skirt goes all the way to 9 3/4"!!!!! The front wheel gap is 4" and the rear is around 3". I don't think the rear ever had coilovers honestly, think it just has worn stock springs. But this should show everyone I have a problem and I have no clue how to solve it.

EDIT: And to be clear, I roll on 15" 01 SIs. So, I understand I gain an inch but not that much gah.

Last edited by EJeff8; 06-22-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just saw the picture. That isn't right at all. I think you got the wrong springs installed. That kind of lift will never "settle".
Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I just saw the picture. That isn't right at all. I think you got the wrong springs installed. That kind of lift will never "settle".
Right, I'm going to go there Friday and show them what I'm seeing. I have no clue how these guys looked at it and let it out. I seriously feel like they confused CR-V and Civic.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The 2000 CRV has a stock ground clearance of 8 inches. I'm basically sitting at 10. Someone needs to find me the front wheel gap of a 2000 CRV. I bet these ******** opened the part book, saw a 2000 Honda start with C and have a trim model EX and ordered CRV struts and springs. Holy crap, this is retarded.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Where are you? I've got some stock SI springs that I've been trying to GIVE away.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

That's a normal ride height for the front of a civic on new stock springs and shocks, it is what it is.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 94EG8
That's a normal ride height for the front of a civic on new stock springs and shocks, it is what it is.
You know what. I came to the realization of this. I pulled it up to a clearly stock height Civic to end this once and for all. I sat 1 INCH HIGHER. And you know why I sat 1 inch higher? I'm 1 inch higher on the 01 SIs.

Ugh, all this wasted pissing and moaning for nothing. Almost made a fool of myself at the mechanic shop, glad I found that Civic first and read your comment. I was waiting for someone like you with a lot of knowledge and respectability to confirm or deny what I was saying. Really hate when I have to eat my words, especially to my dad -_-. I'll live with it because the new Struts ride so damn nice, but at some point by next summer, this monster needs to be lowered.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats about right, factory specs say fronts sits about an inch higher than rears, reason for that is to get the right caster spec from factory
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by shogee
Thats about right, factory specs say fronts sits about an inch higher than rears, reason for that is to get the right caster spec from factory
Hm, that sounds pretty logical. Damn stock setups. Me want to go fast round corners NAO!.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Name:  IMAG0055.jpg
Views: 5953
Size:  12.7 KB
here is a pic of a stock hatch at my work, looks pretty close to what yours looks like... my civic is lowered, and I forget how high the car sit at stock height!

Quick Reply: Shop Put New Struts On My Car and The Fron End Is Too High?