Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which shocks for longevity?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which shocks for longevity?

Hi all, brand-new member here.

I've just "inherited" a '98 EX coupe and will begin sweetening it up soon, starting with the suspension.

The car will be used mostly for highway commuting (for those days when the weather is too inclement to ride my motorcycle) but also for occasional runs through the local mountain twisties. Although I'd love to autocross the EX, the local SoloII organziation cannot get good space to race so I'm not putting much faith in it nor am I worried about buildng the car to meet a particular race class.

Since we are "blessed" with unreasonably snowy winters here in NY I would like to go with a coilover system so that I can jack it back up to handle those times when you cannot see the roads. I plan on going with a Ground Control coilover setup and most likely Skunk2 upper control arms to handle camber correction.

I am familiar with the benefits/methods of adjusting compression and rebound damping thanks to fillding with sportbikes and after being launched from my seat on nearly every bump in the road on my last car (Z24 on 2" Intrax drop springs and factory struts) I know that rebound damping adjustment is a MUST for me.

So I am looking for something with a minimum of rebound adjustment (prefer comp and rebound though) that can live for 4 months out of the year at near-stock ride height and the rest of the year down a couple of inches.

..and I'd love to NOT have to change out a blown shock this time next year. Above all I want the setup with the most service life.

Any ideas? I've heard various things about Konis, Bilsteins, Tokicos etc over the years but generally these were comments on performance and not longevity.

What is your car wearing, and is it wearing well?

Thanks!
-Trevor

Old 06-25-2003, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Which shocks for longevity? (speed racer ferret)

Koni Yellows
Old 06-25-2003, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Which shocks for longevity? (AntiRice Superstar)

yup koni yellow
Old 06-26-2003, 05:51 PM

Thanks guys.

I had a feeling the Koni's would be the one.

-Trevor