Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

shock install help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock install help

I just got finished installing my new koni's, and I ran into a problem. At the bottom of the original shock there is a collar that the brake lines bolt up to. When you put new shocks on you are supposed to reuse this part, but for some reason the one on my old shock is welded on! I need to know if I can drive like this or if I need this part. Please if anyone knows I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

James

Old 02-27-2004, 07:20 PM

Default Re: shock install help (vulgar_si)

just zip tie the brake line to the same spot from the original shock. That's what i did,works fine.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shock install help (AmginE)

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I have asked this on three different boards and was afraid no one knew. I was just worried that the shock might slip or something. Just wasn't sure if I needed it. thanks again.

Old 02-28-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Re: shock install help (vulgar_si)

the fork holds it in place. That tightening screw on the fork wouldn't fit in the hole if the strut wasn't pushed all the way down. The strut won't move, but be sure you do have that zip tie tight.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:59 AM

Hammer that bitch down. I dont think its welded.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AmginE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just zip tie the brake line to the same spot from the original shock. That's what i did,works fine.</TD></TR></TABLE> Yup, that's what I did.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shock install help (93hatched_projekt)

zip tie the line to its original spot.

zip tie ownz
Old 02-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shock install help (toEknEEg)

i honestly dont think its safe. b/c you have to use your original brake line holder so it will sit in the fork correctly, with taht little knoch on the inside. i'll take a picture of it when i get home from work and show you what im talking about, i have a spare set of koni's laying around. but it will probably make ur car lower b/c the shocks will sit lower with out the brake line holder from the original shocks. its probably not welded, it may seem that way but you can just hammer that thing down and out.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Re: shock install help (CleanHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CleanHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i honestly dont think its safe. b/c you have to use your original brake line holder so it will sit in the fork correctly, with taht little knoch on the inside. i'll take a picture of it when i get home from work and show you what im talking about, i have a spare set of koni's laying around. but it will probably make ur car lower b/c the shocks will sit lower with out the brake line holder from the original shocks. its probably not welded, it may seem that way but you can just hammer that thing down and out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that makes no sense. there's only one way for the strut to fit in the fork, and it fits with or without the "brake line holder". It won't sit higher with the holder because it sits higher than the top of the fork, and the strut is supposed to go all the way into the fork anyways. I don't see how unsafe it could be, as it's not going to move much either way.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think what cleanhatch is saying is that if you don't torque down the pinch bolt enough, the fork can slip up, and the brake line bracket wouldn't be there to stop it. if it slipped the car would sit lower. but it shouldn't be a problem as long as you make sure that you align the pinch bolt with the semicircular cutout on the shock body, and torque that bolt down to spec. It would be nice to get the oem brake line bracket on there though, like cleanhatch said, it has that notch, or pointer that helps with the alignment.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shock install help (carsaregood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carsaregood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think what cleanhatch is saying is that if you don't torque down the pinch bolt enough, the fork can slip up, and the brake line bracket wouldn't be there to stop it. if it slipped the car would sit lower. but it shouldn't be a problem as long as you make sure that you align the pinch bolt with the semicircular cutout on the shock body, and torque that bolt down to spec. It would be nice to get the oem brake line bracket on there though, like cleanhatch said, it has that notch, or pointer that helps with the alignment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what im trying to say. i'll try to post pix and point out what im trying to say.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Re: shock install help (carsaregood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carsaregood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think what cleanhatch is saying is that if you don't torque down the pinch bolt enough, the fork can slip up, and the brake line bracket wouldn't be there to stop it. if it slipped the car would sit lower. but it shouldn't be a problem as long as you make sure that you align the pinch bolt with the semicircular cutout on the shock body, and torque that bolt down to spec. It would be nice to get the oem brake line bracket on there though, like cleanhatch said, it has that notch, or pointer that helps with the alignment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok cool, i apologize.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:17 PM

just zip tie that bitch and dont worry about it.