Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Shit bought a JDM LS motor on accident for boost,help.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **** bought a JDM auto LS motor on accident for boost,help.........

I went today to get a JDM LS motor. I wanted a 5speed but forgot to tell them that. I had told them that last week but they probably forgot or I talked to someone different then who I got it from today,honestly I just got in a hurry and had a brainfart. I took the motor to my mechanic who in return calls me tonight and says hey did you know this was a automatic motor. The motor also had a broken TPS and the harnesses were chopped to death. This is a well respected shop on hondatech so i'm gonna call them tommorow probably won't help though because that stuff 9 out of 10 times is'nt covered..
How bad is the JDM automatic cams gonna hurt my setup??
I'm running a t3-t4 60 trim 56intake 60exhaust with a full 3inch DP and exhaust. Its a stock JDM LS motor and will be running 8-9psi..

I have extra 5 speed cams should I have them put in??
Should I install my JG cam gears or are they useless??

Somebody help me...

do I need to change any other valvetrain or can I just swap the 5speed cams for the automatic cams..
Old 12-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **** bought a JDM auto LS motor on accident for boost,help......... (Samuels)

i thought the engine was exacly the same.... i know my friend has bought a few auto motors for his probe and they just unbolt the trans and bolt the flywheel n clutch n what not on and there is no performance diff.

Also the cam gears are kind of useless unless u have some good cams IMO because i had one with my stage one cam and it was worthless but they are easy to put in if you want..
Old 12-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **** bought a JDM auto LS motor on accident for boost,help......... (Slow_CvC99)

from what i've heard thier is a huge performance disadvantage having automatic cams.. Hopefully somebody who knows what thier talking about can chime in and help us out..
Old 12-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: **** bought a JDM auto LS motor on accident for boost,help......... (Samuels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Samuels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from what i've heard thier is a huge performance disadvantage having automatic cams.. Hopefully somebody who knows what thier talking about can chime in and help us out..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have never heard of "huge" performance losses between the auto/manual cams...if anything 5hp or so (crank). I am 99% sure the ls is the same auto to manual. If anything I would want the auto engine as thier is less chance its been beat on.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cams are the same. just about everything is the same exept for the auto transmission of course. i suggest you call them and get the correct one, auto trannies are geared HORRIBLY long and are weak, i doubt they would handle boost for very long
Old 12-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **** bought a JDM auto LS motor on accident for boost,help......... (Heylookits shawn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Heylookits shawn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cams are the same. just about everything is the same exept for the auto transmission of course. i suggest you call them and get the correct one, auto trannies are geared HORRIBLY long and are weak, i doubt they would handle boost for very long</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he just bought the longblock, not the swap with tranny. ANY Honda auto will be pissed with large hp increases. They arent that good in those terms.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **** bought a JDM auto LS motor on accident for boost,help......... (Hybrid93Eg)

oh, i misunderstood then. i thought you had the auto tranny. how did they find out that it was an "automatic" motor? i think theyre just bs-ing you, cause off the top of my head the only difference i can think of between autos and manuals are the ecu, and that the auto tranny runs a line to the radiator to cool down the tranny fluid. but that has nothign to do with the motor itself
Old 12-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **** bought a JDM auto LS motor on accident for boost,help......... (Hybrid93Eg)

pretty much the same ****, if it makes u feel any better, just switch out the cams to manual cams, but its not going to make a big difference
Old 12-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **** bought a JDM auto LS motor on accident for boost,help......... (SPNFEDEJ)

it wont make any difference, the cams are exaclty the same
Old 12-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **** bought a JDM auto LS motor on accident for boost,help......... (Heylookits shawn)

Yeah I just did a search and thier is a difference in the b16 automatic and 5 speed cams maybe thats what I was thinking having heard something like that before..

The car is a EG turbo hatch with a 5spd I just wanted to make sure everything was okay before boosting..I just bought the longblock
Old 12-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How I found out was thier is a automatic plate where the flywheel goes according to my mechanic..
Old 12-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Heylookits shawn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cams are the same. just about everything is the same exept for the auto transmission of course. i suggest you call them and get the correct one, auto trannies are geared HORRIBLY long and are weak, i doubt they would handle boost for very long</TD></TR></TABLE>

he is rite if they even are diff you cant feel it like said maybe 5hp and the crank i wouldnt even bet its that much.. I have never heard of diff parts in a auto and manual engine... As far as i know the engine is built exacly the same
Old 12-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Samuels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How I found out was thier is a automatic plate where the flywheel goes according to my mechanic..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its called a flexplate. Just fyi
Old 12-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It really doesn't matter, unless you are trying to max the stock motor parts out. 0.5psi more boost, and you made up for what you think you lost. If people with 575whp are gaining 25whp going from GSR cams to ITR cams (a big jump in cam profile), the 'loss' you get at 250whp isn't going to be noticed.

If anything (assuming they are different), I'd be happy about the cams. They should be able to provide more low-end, and along with a slight compression bump & boost, it should be a great motor.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whoa! whoa! Whoa!, don't mislead unless you know, THERE IS A HP DIFF BETWEEN AUTO AND 5 SPEED LS ENGINES!!!!! Don't listen to people who don't know.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **** bought a JDM auto LS motor on accident for boost,help......... (saywhat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

whoa! whoa! Whoa!, don't mislead unless you know, THERE IS A HP DIFF BETWEEN AUTO AND 5 SPEED LS ENGINES!!!!! Don't listen to people who don't know. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok. So you know there is a difference but you failed to post what it is. Come on, let us know!
Old 12-26-2005, 04:14 PM

not enough to tell the difference.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok. So you know there is a difference but you failed to post what it is. Come on, let us know!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am looking in my helms right now for the spec page for the teg engines ***.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **** bought a JDM auto LS motor on accident for boost,help......... (saywhat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am looking in my helms right now for the spec page for the teg engines ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What is it with everyone and thier nasty attitudes. You should have posted on your first post something like "hold on, looking up specs now"... No need to be a ****.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am looking in my helms right now for the spec page for the teg engines ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here you go, ***

Old 12-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well I am trying to let this kid know instead of looking at all the wrong posts and saying to himself "alright good to go." I only have an attitute because the rest of the site is full of haters and you just have to beat them or join them.

Back on subject the Auto integra has a less agressive cam, and thus produces less horsepower, I think if you just swap the cams you will be ok.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well I am trying to let this kid know instead of looking at all the wrong posts and saying to himself "alright good to go." I only have an attitute because the rest of the site is full of haters and you just have to beat them or join them.

Back on subject the Auto integra has a less agressive cam, and thus produces less horsepower, I think if you just swap the cams you will be ok.</TD></TR></TABLE>

"beat them or join them"...

Look, you came in here with an attitude, you have nothing to show for it. We already discussed that yes, there MIGHT be a difference, but the majority of the people seem to say there isn't. If you haven't personally mesaured the cams yourself, then you are just as guilty as this guy for believing what he has read, correct? Fact of the matter still remains that even *IF* there is a difference, its so damn small its not worth swapping the cams. Unless you need that extra 5(?) crank horsepower.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

"beat them or join them"...

Look, you came in here with an attitude, you have nothing to show for it. We already discussed that yes, there MIGHT be a difference, but the majority of the people seem to say there isn't. If you haven't personally mesaured the cams yourself, then you are just as guilty as this guy for believing what he has read, correct? Fact of the matter still remains that even *IF* there is a difference, its so damn small its not worth swapping the cams. Unless you need that extra 5(?) crank horsepower.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ugh... :rollseyes: ok to the original poster just listen to everyone else it is just going to be a non-detectable amount, don't change those cams because changing the cams is really hard especially since when you remove the head to change the head gasket anyway (for preventative maintenance) and have to take the cams out then anyway, just put the autos back in because it is just an undetectable diff, and will have no ill effects on your boosted auto valvetrain.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, i looked on acuraautomotiveparts.com , and low and behold BOTH AUTO AND MANUAL LS CAMS HAVE THE SAME PART NUMBER.

im not sure of where your souces are, but this is straight from the horses mouth
Old 12-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Heylookits shawn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright, i looked on acuraautomotiveparts.com , and low and behold BOTH AUTO AND MANUAL LS CAMS HAVE THE SAME PART NUMBER.

im not sure of where your souces are, but this is straight from the horses mouth</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is strange because my comp can't find that site???

Quick Reply: Shit bought a JDM LS motor on accident for boost,help.........