Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SHIFTLIGHTS, TACHOMETERs OR MONSTER TACHS????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHIFTLIGHTS, TACHOMETERs OR MONSTER TACHS????

How useful are these items in a civic?? do most of you use them?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SHIFTLIGHTS, TACHOMETERs OR MONSTER TACHS???? (jdmwannabe3)

Not needed, unless you reving way past the stock RPM limit.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Re: SHIFTLIGHTS, TACHOMETERs OR MONSTER TACHS???? (Schrader)

what about shiftlights? should i rule those out too?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO you don't need it. But if you really feel you need one, go ahead.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Schrader)

Useful to impress 17yr olds.

Are you into serious auto-x or some form of racing? or is this just for a daily driver.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schrader &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO you don't need it. But if you really feel you need one, go ahead.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bingo, your money, your taste, your car; do what you think you would find useful and what you think would look good.

Cheers.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SHIFTLIGHTS, TACHOMETERs OR MONSTER TACHS???? (jdmwannabe3)

first off, tach's are very needed for the average driver, most people are not able to feel where their power band is, and thru my own experience, with a simple engine swap, i was overestimating the sound of the engine to the rpm. In other words, i was guessing i was redlineing when i was close to, or over, 1000 rpm's away.

Monster tachs, and shift lights, are for show, IMO, unless the shift light is programable. Although, if you are not a talented driver, then a shift light could be very helpfull. The reason i dont need a shift light is simply, I use a tach to learn the sound of my engine at different rpm's, i combine that with the 'feel' of the engine, and with the combination of the two, i am able to shift at pretty close to the optimal point. The main use of the tach for me, is to find the sound/feel of the redline, after a little bit of learning, i dont need the tach anymore.

I have tested my way, repeatedly, the ultimate test, was when i beat a civic sir with my non-vtec, chipped ecu, with intake/exhaust/msd 4dr. I raced the guy, and i beat him. he was a friend, and i couldnt understand how i beat him. so he willingly let me drive his car, and he drove mine, we raced, and my car with him as the driver lost by ALOT, so we switched back, me driving my own car and him driving his, and i beat him again. After a bit of hands on teaching with him, he was able to beat me, with me, driving my own car and him drive his.

Bottom line, if your a descent/good driver, a tach is all you will need. If your an average driver, which includes about 70% of the population, then you could probaly use a tach with a shift light, and if you REALLY suck, use a monster tach, so you can see the redline even with your eyes half closed, and then see the shift light that is about as bright as your high beams, and if you still cant drive half way descent, shoot yourself in the foot so that you can never drive a stick shift car again. =D

Ultimately, IMO, you should have a Tach, however, monster tachs, and shift lights, etc, for me anyway, are just for show...

Modified by Defile at 5:27 AM 4/16/2006
Old 04-16-2006, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SHIFTLIGHTS, TACHOMETERs OR MONSTER TACHS???? (Schrader)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schrader &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not needed, unless you reving way past the stock RPM limit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just a note, you cant rev way past stock rev limit unless you do computer work, atleast with a 92 or above honda, gg rev-limiter
Old 04-16-2006, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a monster tach w/ adjustable shiftlight for sale if you need one.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (T-RO)

I have a shiftlight hooked up but hidden in the vents..comes on at 3300rpm so I can save some gas..And I have a tach,,but only use it if testing something out or when racing (on a track only),,for example chipped my ecu and had the 2step set at 4500rpm so just testing it to make sure its there because the stock tach on my car is like 500-700rpm off all the damn time..
Old 04-16-2006, 08:47 AM

IMO i think that shift lights work very well, and allows you to focus and wait for the light to blink. Monster Tachs on the other hand get a little bit old after you have one for a while. I also have one for sale so PM me..
Old 04-16-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Re: (UberJDMeg6)

so if I did decide to get like a monster tach with a shift light which one would u guys recommend?