Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Shifting problem !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting problem !!

i have a honda 93 civic and my question is why
dont my gear go in easy when I shift? I just replaced my flywheel for a lighter one and also installed a new performance clutch. And was dissapointed on the shifting part of it. Any suggestions
Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Shifting problem !! (ramos2589)

it's prolly something with the tranny if you didn't get the shift linkage and whatnot snugged up enough... the syncros could have gone bad... idk you might even try flushing the tranny and see if that help any or not. the tranny could be bad and be cause shifting problems
good luck
Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Shifting problem !! (Soul of Osiris)

or if you could have air in your hydro clutch line and might not be disengageing the clutch completely (if urs is hydro)
Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Shifting problem !! (Soul of Osiris)

yeah sounds like syncros arent releasing when the clutch is engaged.. What gears is it doing it in?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shifting problem !! (Thateguhate)

try bleeding the clutch. and changing the transmission fluid. it takes 2 quarts only of 10w30 motor oil. you could also try replacing your shifter bushings.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Thateguhate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah sounds like syncros arent releasing when the clutch is engaged.. What gears is it doing it in? </TD></TR></TABLE>

WHAT???? syncros and the clutch are in no way related.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shifting problem !! (DCSportEJ1Civic)

What I meant to say is his syncros might or might not be causing the problem. When my tranny was giving out we werent sure if it was the clutch itself, or the tranny. Turned out we dropped the entire tranny and clutch assembly to find that the flywheel and clutch had both worn un-evenly, and over time it got worse to a point where I could hardly get in or out of gear no matter what rpm i was at, or from a complete stop...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:35 PM

Don't use motor oil for your tranny. Use genuine Honda MTF, its AMAZING. And it doesnt neccesarily take 2 quarts only, just fill it in the filler hole, until it drips out, of course make sure your car is perfectly flat, or else it won't really be precise. But I really think changing tranny fluid will help or even heal your symptom. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Juan_Mitosis)

when I had the clutch replaced I changed the tranny fluid and bleed the clutch. I dont know if there is a bigger gap between the clutch and flywheel
Old 01-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Juan_Mitosis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't use motor oil for your tranny. Use genuine Honda MTF, its AMAZING. And it doesnt neccesarily take 2 quarts only, just fill it in the filler hole, until it drips out, of course make sure your car is perfectly flat, or else it won't really be precise. But I really think changing tranny fluid will help or even heal your symptom. Good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

@ OP: Don't listen to ricer fan boys like this stupid *****.

OP: Regular motor oil in your transmission is 100% fine. I believe it takes 1.9qts on D series transmissions, I don't feel like pulling out the helms though. Don't bother filling it through the filler hole like that jackass also stated, it's small and takes forever. Unplug the VSS and use a long funnel - fill it through there until it spills out the fill hole, it'll fill up a lot faster than if you're to get out the pump and try putting it in through the fill hole. Plus the filler hole will act like a vent so you won't get a vacuum to slow the oil down.

Also, don't listen to him on the rest of what he said - MORE than likely, changing your transmission fluid isn't going to make a ****-**** of difference about not being able to get it into gear. It's more than likely one of a few things:
A) Your clutch isn't separating for whatever reason
- Bleed the clutch fluid
- Check the clutch
B) Your linkage is outta whack - but I've only seen that once and I doubt that's the problem.
C) Your syncros are going and you'll need to start double clutching if you wanna keep shifting.

Is it only in certain gears or is it in all of them? You could have too thick of an oil weight in the trans and due to colder weather it is more viscous - bleed the clutch and dump the trans fluid and re-fill it with 10w30 oil and see where you are from there.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:46 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

@ OP: Don't listen to ricer fan boys like this stupid *****.

OP: Regular motor oil in your transmission is 100% fine. I believe it takes 1.9qts on D series transmissions, I don't feel like pulling out the helms though. Don't bother filling it through the filler hole like that jackass also stated, it's small and takes forever. Unplug the VSS and use a long funnel - fill it through there until it spills out the fill hole, it'll fill up a lot faster than if you're to get out the pump and try putting it in through the fill hole. Plus the filler hole will act like a vent so you won't get a vacuum to slow the oil down.

Also, don't listen to him on the rest of what he said - MORE than likely, changing your transmission fluid isn't going to make a ****-**** of difference about not being able to get it into gear. It's more than likely one of a few things:
A) Your clutch isn't separating for whatever reason
- Bleed the clutch fluid
- Check the clutch
B) Your linkage is outta whack - but I've only seen that once and I doubt that's the problem.
C) Your syncros are going and you'll need to start double clutching if you wanna keep shifting.

Is it only in certain gears or is it in all of them? You could have too thick of an oil weight in the trans and due to colder weather it is more viscous - bleed the clutch and dump the trans fluid and re-fill it with 10w30 oil and see where you are from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow. So. . . you're pretty much a complete *******? Or only on certain times of the day when you take out you're frustration on other peoples honest attempts to help?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:33 AM

Yeah syndacate's a ***** sometimes, but he's also usually right so nobody calls him on it either way it's the internet try not to get too E-hurt
Old 01-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shifting problem !! (ramos2589)

i had a problem where my car wouldn't even switch into 3 and 4 and it was the syncros so check there is two bolts on the bottom of the tranny one is for 1 and 2 and one is for 3 and 4.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shifting problem !! (CiViCBruh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CiViCBruh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had a problem where my car wouldn't even switch into 3 and 4 and it was the syncros so check there is two bolts on the bottom of the tranny one is for 1 and 2 and one is for 3 and 4.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oooo so thats how you adjust your syncros? i have been trying to figure this out for years. thanks for the help

have you checked your slave cylinder??? pull the boot and see if it is leaking anywhere

Modified by sohctodohc at 12:59 PM 1/29/2008
Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shifting problem !! (sohctodohc)

yea no problem i just was changing the tranny oil and took out the worng bolt and i didnt tighten it enough and thats why it didnt shift. but dont tighten it without the washer the bolt will break i did that and its hard to get that bolt.