Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SHIFTER PROBLEMS!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHIFTER PROBLEMS!!

hey guys, i dunno if any of you've had this before.. but it's really annoying, and i hate it.
My problem is that lee-way or play you have when your shifter is in gear, it has play that goes left/right?? If you kinda understand what i'm trying to say, and have any sort of fix for this. Please let me know, becuase it's very annoying. I drive a 96 civic hatch, w/ NRG shift bushings... so I have no idea what to do, thanks guys!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SHIFTER PROBLEMS!! (jdm_j03)

anyone??
Old 06-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is everything tight. Is the shifter tight? Are the bushings new? Did you get both new bushings or just one?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:51 AM

Default Re: SHIFTER PROBLEMS!! (zoso)

i have the same problem, the shifter is seriously loose, its not too fun to drive this way... i bought a bushing set from a local honda dealer, but i dont see how what i got is gonna fix it... a few 0-rings, 1 rubber bushing for where the shift linkage hooks onto the tranny, and a few other small parts... are these parts gonna fix my loose shifter problem
Old 06-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SHIFTER PROBLEMS!! (97dxred)

i have this problem with all the civic's i have ever bought
i know this is not going to be a popular answer
but i say $12 ebay short throw shifter and make sure that all the bolts are tight
Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 AM

Default Re: SHIFTER PROBLEMS!! (lunch_box_4_life)

Ok, sounds good... I had already bought one of these hoping that would fix it... its on the way, should be here anyday... I'll let you know if this solves the problem
THANKS
Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 AM

Default Re: SHIFTER PROBLEMS!! (97dxred)

Also... where do you get the bushing that goes around the ball on the shifter... that didn't come with the shifter bushing kit I got from honda... also the plastic ring deal that goes around it... mine arent really shot but if its not too expensive i dont think it would be a bad idea to replace them while installing the new short shifter.
Also does anyone know the proper names for those pieces.
THANKS
Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 AM

I had this problem, even with a short shifter. I recently fixed it with the Energy Suspension poly bushings. Bought the kit from Summit, waited a week for them, then found out you can get them at AutoZone, etc. It definitely tightened everything up. Before, there used to be this really annoying rattle from the shifter once I got into 3rd or 5th gear, but now that is gone and the shifts are much more crisp and precise.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:38 AM

Default Re: (ErikFlipside)

Do you know what the actual part name is at autozone? Just Engegy Suspension poly bushings? If I go to autozone and ask for that I don't think that they would have a clue as to what I mean. If you know that would be great!
THANKS
Old 06-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (97dxred)

They should know where to point you. If I'm not mistaken, the Energy Suspension bushings and other ES parts are on the shelf, not behind the counter. At least that's how it is here at our local Autozone. Just go online to energy suspension's webiste, look up the part number, write it down, and go to Autozone, have them show you which aisle the ES parts are, and match up the part numbers. The bushings dont say the year/make/model on the package, but rather the part number. At Pep Boys I do recall the package saying something like "Acur Integ" for the motor mount insert. Anyways, Autozone might have the part number you need as well, but the people at Autozone don't know **** 95% of the time, and you will most likely be back if you take info from them...

Also I believe Pep Boys also carries ES parts, but not sure as to their stock. I know they carry the motor mount inserts, so they may have other products. Also not sure if they carry them anymore, but they did at one point, and I don't see why they wouldn't anymore.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SHIFTER PROBLEMS!! (lunch_box_4_life)

Bad news: that play i have, totally increased like 10000%, now i can't even put it into gear, I'm going to Auto Zone and buying a whole new set of ES bushings and just re-install my short throw. Also, I was wondering where to get that boot that goes over the ball of the short throw, i'd like to throw that on too along with the entire new setup.

Good news: has nothing to do with this, but.. Got my JDM CTR front and rear lip in, along with my Tanabe Super Medallion Hyper!!
BUMP, for new parts!! suuuuper excited!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lunch_box_4_life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have this problem with all the civic's i have ever bought
i know this is not going to be a popular answer
but i say $12 ebay short throw shifter and make sure that all the bolts are tight </TD></TR></TABLE>

I went through two of those, total waste of money. eventually made the right decision by buying a Skunk 2 short throw. Definitely a good decision.

Modified by jdm_j03 at 12:13 AM 6/27/2008
Old 06-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how the hell do you guys all go through those ebay short shifters like that? I picked up a cheapo generic shortshifter and have had it for about a year now, not a single problem.

Anyway, i would get a whole new set of bushings, and tighten up the shift linkage.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

I don't know why so many knuckleheads provided the response that a new shifter is going to fix the play. If you're give it a quick look to see if bolts are tight and bushings are decent, then the play is in the transmission. A little bit is normal, but I'm not sure how much play you have because you never quantified it with a measurement. If you're in gear, deflect to one side and then the other and measure the change. I doubt bushings are going to fix anything because you're already in gear and the linkage is likely not wiggling where it mounts right underneath your hand. Also, make sure your bitch pin is in snug.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Re: (Blk00EJ8)

thats what i was thinking. the shifter wont do a bit of good. I am going to get new bushings that hold the shifter to the bottom of the car. Also, I just swapped in a tranny that has 90 K on it. So the bitch pin is tight... where do those o rings go and the little cap looking plastic parts that come in the shift bushing kit?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (97dxred)

ok well my $12 ebay shifter has lasted me 100,000 and i have never had any problems
so i say that the skunk2 shifter is a big waste of money
Old 06-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know why so many knuckleheads provided the response that a new shifter is going to fix the play. If you're give it a quick look to see if bolts are tight and bushings are decent, then the play is in the transmission. A little bit is normal, but I'm not sure how much play you have because you never quantified it with a measurement. If you're in gear, deflect to one side and then the other and measure the change. I doubt bushings are going to fix anything because you're already in gear and the linkage is likely not wiggling where it mounts right underneath your hand. Also, make sure your bitch pin is in snug.</TD></TR></TABLE>

when my shifter is in gear i can move the shifter all the way to the left, then all the way to the right (touches each side of the box). I never said that a new shifter would fix anything. I was just complaining about ebay products, If the play is in the transmission, how do i go about fixing it?? there is a rubber connector piece that seems to be where all the play is coming from. Also, what is this "bitch pin" ?
thanks
Old 06-29-2008, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Re: (jdm_j03)

the "bitch pin" is a round spring pin that holds the shifting linkage onto the actual part shift rod coming out of the back of the tranny. it is under the rubber boot near the tranny, there is a c-clip around the rod, with a dimple in it(sits in the hole of the bitch pin) that covers the pin. It is called the bitch pin because it is supposedly so hard to get out. I havent ever had any trouble getting it out because i have always had the transmission out of the car when taking it out... as long as you find something that is round with one end being flat to pound it through that rod, like a punch or a bolt, it isnt that bad to get out. It is just really important to get something with the exactly the same diameter as the pin, that will go through the hole too. If the tranny was in the car, i could see how it could be a little harder to do... i also used a lot of pb blaster... that stuff is priceless.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_j03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when my shifter is in gear i can move the shifter all the way to the left, then all the way to the right (touches each side of the box). I never said that a new shifter would fix anything. I was just complaining about ebay products, If the play is in the transmission, how do i go about fixing it?? there is a rubber connector piece that seems to be where all the play is coming from. Also, what is this "bitch pin" ?
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said you specifically. It was a general statement across the thread.

If you're seeing that much play when in gear, something is definitely wrong. Do you have the ball of the shifter properly seated or is it just floating around? It sounds like it has no anchor point.

Also, if these is no bitch pin, aka the spring pin at the end of the linkage, the linkage can rotate around the gear shift rod, making it very difficult to actually hit the shift gates. Check that too.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think your synchro blockers are bad
Old 06-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (97dxred)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97dxred &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the "bitch pin" is a round spring pin that holds the shifting linkage onto the actual part shift rod coming out of the back of the tranny. it is under the rubber boot near the tranny, there is a c-clip around the rod, with a dimple in it(sits in the hole of the bitch pin) that covers the pin. It is called the bitch pin because it is supposedly so hard to get out. I havent ever had any trouble getting it out because i have always had the transmission out of the car when taking it out... as long as you find something that is round with one end being flat to pound it through that rod, like a punch or a bolt, it isnt that bad to get out. It is just really important to get something with the exactly the same diameter as the pin, that will go through the hole too. If the tranny was in the car, i could see how it could be a little harder to do... i also used a lot of pb blaster... that stuff is priceless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that was exactly what the problem was. Checked it out that my play was coming from the shift rod + trans axle area. Removed that c-clip and found that my "bitch pin" was out of place. tapped it out, put it back in. GOOD AS NEW. didn't have to buy a whole new set of bushing, took about 10 min to check out. Thanks a lot for the help guys!!