Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

shift linkage pin install

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift linkage pin install

so i know there are threads on how to remove the shift linkage pin aka the bitch pin. i just went and bought a new pin for 2 bucks. is there an easy to install it?
it just doesnt wanna go in.
thanks for ur help in advance
Old 10-25-2007, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift linkage pin install (skcivic4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skcivic4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i know there are threads on how to remove the shift linkage pin aka the bitch pin. i just went and bought a new pin for 2 bucks. is there an easy to install it?
it just doesnt wanna go in.
thanks for ur help in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

The old one is removed? lol I just look up make sure it's lined up, start it with a few taps of a hammer, if it's being a bitch and won't hammer in, I'll get out the air hammer, usually goes right in... If you aint gotta a air hammer, go get a roll pin punch, can make it easier sometimes too...
Old 10-25-2007, 04:30 AM
HRD PKR

Default Re: shift linkage pin install (MustangPunk302)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MustangPunk302 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The old one is removed? lol I just look up make sure it's lined up, start it with a few taps of a hammer, if it's being a bitch and won't hammer in, I'll get out the air hammer, usually goes right in... If you aint gotta a air hammer, go get a roll pin punch, can make it easier sometimes too... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-25-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Re: shift linkage pin install (B16B_coupe)

yes the old ones removed, i tried usin a punch but i couldnt get it.
my buddy said try puting it in the freezer, cuz metal actualy shrinks when it gets cold so it will help it fit better.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift linkage pin install (skcivic4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skcivic4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes the old ones removed, i tried usin a punch but i couldnt get it.
my buddy said try puting it in the freezer, cuz metal actualy shrinks when it gets cold so it will help it fit better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is true, never tried it, intheory it should work, turn that sucker to the deepest freeze you got . I don't know how much it'll actually shrink it, but it's worth a shot I reckon. I've never really had a problem with them going back it, coming out on the other hand... :/
Old 10-25-2007, 04:43 AM
HRD PKR

yes it will shrink a little bit, but make sure you have everything aligned and straight so your not trying to put it in sideways.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift linkage pin install (B16B_coupe)

I never had a problem get one in or out for that matter. if you look at the pin one end should be rounded over. Put that end into the shift linkage hole one side should have a tapered hole to help start the pin use a hamer and tap the pin in .
Old 10-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift linkage pin install (instructor74)

umm - it might just be me but having remember all my science classes, physics, etc...i dont know exactly how long the pin will stay cold for..but if that sucker does get cold enough thats its still cold once its in..wouldn't that make it weaker? never had to deal with shift linkage yet but that does sound like it will work in theory but is the pin thick enough that the cold wont directly effect the strength of it?? or is it just cold enough to make everything work right
Old 10-25-2007, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift linkage pin install (Probot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm - it might just be me but having remember all my science classes, physics, etc...i dont know exactly how long the pin will stay cold for..but if that sucker does get cold enough thats its still cold once its in..wouldn't that make it weaker? never had to deal with shift linkage yet but that does sound like it will work in theory but is the pin thick enough that the cold wont directly effect the strength of it?? or is it just cold enough to make everything work right</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heat treating requires more extremes than just a freeze would make... Heating up and cooling off/freezing is a way to treat metal. I beleve most metals are brittle if heated up and not cooled off properly, I'm not certain on the exact process. Though just putting in the freeze should shrink it and have no effects on strength, as it gets colder outside here in the winter than it does in our freezers at times, and our vechiles seem to stay together
Old 10-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good stuff - thats why i asked lol