Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

She dies... Then she lives... Then she dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She dies... Then she lives... Then she dies

Here is the story... the car just wont start, or if it dose, when it turns over it pauses for a quick second then starts to turn, but it sounds like it's going to die. So one night it sounded so bad that I just had to park it in the garage.

a week later when i try to start it again, it will click to turn on.. and NOTHING.

it's been at least a month maybe two since i last driven her. I started her up today, I think it was sheer luck cause i had to jump it, then i left it running for like 5-10 mins just to recharge.. but it would sound like it would just turn off and eventually it did.

I think it's the battery right now, cause i haven't driven it for at least a month and a half, maybe two.... But before that it just had a hard time just to turn over to start her up, like it's miss firing or something... sounding like it's struggling to turn and it so long compared to a normal (turn the key and BAM)

any have any insite?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: She dies... Then she lives... Then she dies (CeoStatus0)

check your alternator.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: She dies... Then she lives... Then she dies (diLLy :])

mmmm I have seen this problem due to bad cylinder walls and or rings when the motors would warm up they would loose compression......... compression check!!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: She dies... Then she lives... Then she dies (civic_jdm16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_jdm16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">compression check!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

that too.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: She dies... Then she lives... Then she dies (diLLy :])

did it start normally when you jumped it?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Re: She dies... Then she lives... Then she dies (mikeycivic)

It all started when last year.. the car would not start at all or sometimes or just randomly worked. But when I jumped it, 90% of the time it would work... but i checked battery, alternator.. and it all checked out.. but it turned out to the be ignition... i went to Honda and they fixed it do to a recall.

After Honda did the recall or the ingition.. it everything was KOO... no problems what so ever... but then now, over a year later the same type of problem is happening... only thing is, it will click and turn over and sound like it's going to die and then start... or it will click and not turn, but if i wait a few mins and try again, it will start (sometimes normally or like it's going to die)

I haven't driven it for a while for WEEKS, I'm going to take the battery to go get checked this weekend.. but i think i may end up taking it to a shop or a dealer.

i talked to one o fthe service guys at Honda about it a while back, they said something about miss fire, or not making a connection... i don't know but it's all bad
Old 06-30-2007, 10:59 PM

I got my battery tested.. and it turned out bad, so i got a brand new battery.. going to put it in tomorrow...

do you think that it could have been the cause of my problem months ago? Where it just seemed like it was going to die. and where it would click to turn on but not start... but if i wait like 30 seconds and try again.. it would click and turn over.. but do it so slow before it fired up
Old 06-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Sol to Sol

Could be.

BUT, the Alternator may be bad too. It may have caused your battery to drain, and die, and most parts stores can check it free. Do that EVEN IF IT STARTS WITH NEW BATTERY. (just in case, you don't want to be doing this again in 2 weeks )

If its still acting goofy, then ignition switch or relay?

Good luck
Old 06-30-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Re: She dies... Then she lives... Then she dies (JarvisW)

I kinda agree with th alternator... one way to tell is when the car is about to die the tach will jump like crazy it has happen to me before...
Old 06-30-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Re: She dies... Then she lives... Then she dies (civic_jdm16)

if the battery is low on water it will cause it too
Old 07-01-2007, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

batter low on water? wth?
Old 07-01-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: (SkyliteCustomz)

i just put in the new battery today.. it and it fired up normal....so i move the car so i can wash it... then i start it back up to pull it into the garage...

i turn it off and then back on to see if it would work... NOPE.. it would click to turn on(all electrics work), then you can hear it trying to crank over.. all you here is a humming sound (like it's trying to turn but can't)

i replaced the alternator a few years ago.. it's just all bad for me... either way i have to take it into HONDA sometime next week. I need some reasurance...

2 years ago, I took a long road trip before i got my ingition replaced due to a RECALL (i didn't know about the recall at the time) for my civic... and was stranded in the middle of nowhere at some cheap little towny chevron.. asking people to give me a jump... It freaked me out because when i did get a jump from a a nice couple.. after the 3rd time we tried.. we were about to give up.. they had to leave so they gave me one last shot before they left and BAM! i got lucky.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:29 AM
Sol to Sol

Default Re: (CeoStatus0)

I'd still check the Alt, even if it was just replaced.

But the sound its making almost sounds like the starter is stuck? Well, that could be the solenoid, or the starter motor itself. Or it could be that its locking up on bad teeth on the flywheel.

If you tap the solonoid and it then works, well, thats it.

If you rotate the engine a few degrees with a wrench on the crank pulley, then it starts, thats bad flywheel teeth.

Or it still could be the alt is dead. A dead diode can cause the alt to drain the batt faster than normal.

To check if its the relay, (with the key off, or the sparkplug wires off, so it wont start ) you can jump one of the terminals on the solenoid to the positive cable (I use a beat up screwdriver) and if it turns over, then it should be the relay, or the switch.

Good luck.