Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Shaking when key is off

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking when key is off

Hey guys. I recently did a pretty elaborate tune up on the d16y7 in my 98 civic LX. It runs pretty well now and I'm happy with it. The one odd thing is when I turn off the car, it shakes. It feels as though the engine is kinda...throwing it's weight around. I thought it was just because it is a 4 cylinder (and I am used to 6's and 8's so this is a bit new to me) and the engine isn't quite as smooth as a v6 or 8 but I realize this cannot be the case as my 4 cylinder ranger shuts off with no excess movement.

I can sometimes even hear the exhaust rattle a bit when I turn off the engine. My guess: Motor mounts.

Another possibly related symptom is the car kindof...stutters when you press or let off the gas. Like it shakes a little bit (and it is definitely not the engine, it is somewhere in the drivetrain). It is hard to describe (and my truck does this too but I figured in the trucks case it is probably a worn u-joint, whereas on this car the cv-shafts are brand new) but it makes the car uncomfortable to drive for new driver. I'm betting what is actually happening is the engine is moving enough to throw weight around. Does this sound like a motor mount problem to anyone else?

Also: when I replace my motor mounts, should I go with OEM? I'm not some crazy street racer, comfort is really my utmost concern but I do enjoynice, solid shift. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking when key is off

Sounds like a mount. Take off the hood and go for a short drive. My suggestion is instead of buying solid mounts look into filling them with poly there are plenty of write UPS on this topic
Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I filled my mounts with a soft poly in my v6 chrysler and noticed improved throttle response and only slightly more vibration at idle but I think that solid mounts would make a 4 cyl uncomfortable. I dunno though, I used some PL poly from homedepot to fill the mounts on my 6 and it was pretty soft, maybe I could use the same stuff. I really don't need a racecar.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you saying that the engine is dieseling?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieseling
Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya the pl stuff that is white is the soft stuff that I use in my civic
Old 09-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine might be dieseling but I kindof doubt it. It is like a half second thing at the most and doesn't occur moreso when the engine is hot. It is pretty equal, regardless of engine temp whereas warmer engines are more likely to diesel (IIRC). I'll fill my mounts and order some stock replacements. Thanks guys.