Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ?

Hey Guys,

I just got back from the track. Car ran lousy . Anyways, car was running great all day until we hit the track. Ran OK for being a mile up in the air (LACR). Anyways, I made 5 passes, and called it a night. On the way home, Speeding up, the car shakes left to right, right to left. My friend told me it has to be an axle, but the car just really shakes when speeding up, and is smooth when just cruising without your foot on the throttle ??? What are your suggestions ??? I have never had this problem before, and it just happened after making several passes. VTEC and everything still engages and engine sounds strong, it is just really vibrates horrible back and forth.

Anybody with any knowledge of this please help me out. Thanks
Old 11-25-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ? (CALIdelsolSIR)

Possibly a motor mount? I'm not sure. Just a guess really. Check all of the mounts, and take a look at the axles and see if you notice anything effed up.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ? (xfletcherxx)

its most liekly a motor mount......when u have your hand on the shifter and you hit the gas do you feel the shifter tug a little?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ? (xfletcherxx)

"effed" up <--- that's great....haha

Yeah, i was thinking motor mounts but they came new with the swap about 6 months ago. I was thinking those polyurethane inserts but not sure if they would help. Anybody running these ??? I checked the axles, they seem fine. just don't understand what it could be. When Ideling the car just puuuurrrrrsssss, no knocking, or vibrating at all, that is why i doubt it is the motor mounts.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i think its the motor mounts because when the car is at a dead stop the motor is still..... but when you start to get on it the motor starts to move and at high speeds this causes it to rock back and forth creating a strong vibration...it prolly will get worse and worse till its undrivable at high speeds.....
Old 11-25-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ? (hotimportcrx)

have you tried those polyurethane motor mount inserts ? or u suggest just replacing the almost "brand new" motor mounts ?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i mean ive had hasports and regulars....and i think regular mounts with good inserts are jsut as good....thats what ill be using when i convert my del sol to stick instead of buying hasports....the inserts really help the motor to stay still and pretty much eliminate wheel hope caused by stock mounts when you launch
Old 11-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car does this same exact thing when cruising around 80mph. But at any other speeds does not. My steering wheel goes crazy and my whole are shakes. I will have to check my motor mounts and check to see if my wheels are propely wieghted.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:44 PM

good, i'm glad you said inserts (a wopping $30 bucks) instead of $300. I guess i will start there.

anybody else with any helpful info on what it might be ?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe you need an alignment.
maybe its a messed up tire tread. (bubble in tire?)
maybe you have brake shimmy. (warped rotors?)

i dunno. could be a bunch of different things, but wouldnt hurt to check those suggestions.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ? (asnkasper)

Its a long shot but check your wheel bearings. Take the weight off the frontend, and push top and bottom of the tire. If you have any play the bearings are bad.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CALIdelsolSIR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you tried those polyurethane motor mount inserts ? or u suggest just replacing the almost "brand new" motor mounts ?</TD></TR></TABLE>can u give me a link or something so i can see them im intrested in this since ive never seen them thx
Old 11-26-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ? (fizeks)

your car is fine

lay off the coffee!
Old 11-26-2005, 07:58 AM

Here's what I would do to test if it's the motor mount. You need a buddy to help you out. Park the car, put your e-brake up, have a friend put it in first gear and slowly disengage your clutch. As he/she is doing this, notice if your engine starts to make any weird noises or shaking.

If it was one axle, your vehicle would make the shaking at only one side OR maybe both of your axles are messed up? You'll know that it's your axles easily if there is grease leaking out of the boot.

You can also try to jack up the front part of your car, turn your car on, and shift your gears until you hit about 60 mph or until your car starts shaking again. Once the front wheels are in motion, observe the spinning wheels to see if it's wobbly or making any strange, clicking noises.

If it's not your axles, it can be the wheel bearings. It can also be warped brake rotors, unbalanced wheels, etc. But a good test to diagnose is to jack it up and put the wheels in motion. Check the engine bay as well to see if there's any shaking there while the wheels are spinning in the air. Hopefully, you can isolate the problem by just doing that. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:14 AM
nerd

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CALIdelsolSIR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good, i'm glad you said inserts (a wopping $30 bucks) instead of $300. I guess i will start there.

anybody else with any helpful info on what it might be ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is a dumb question , but when was the last time you had an allaignment done? are either of your back or front tires worn? shocks new or stock?

mine did the exact same thing yours did, to the tee, motor mounts were new, had the poly-whats-it bushings all around, and my huge culprint was the darn allaignment , i was tacking her to the track to get some laps in and after a while se got a lil left

i am sure you went round the car, but maybe just check your tires again?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:15 AM
nerd

Default Re: Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ? (turbo99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's what I would do to test if it's the motor mount. You need a buddy to help you out. Park the car, put your e-brake up, have a friend put it in first gear and slowly disengage your clutch. As he/she is doing this, notice if your engine starts to make any weird noises or shaking.

If it was one axle, your vehicle would make the shaking at only one side OR maybe both of your axles are messed up? You'll know that it's your axles easily if there is grease leaking out of the boot.

You can also try to jack up the front part of your car, turn your car on, and shift your gears until you hit about 60 mph or until your car starts shaking again. Once the front wheels are in motion, observe the spinning wheels to see if it's wobbly or making any strange, clicking noises.

If it's not your axles, it can be the wheel bearings. It can also be warped brake rotors, unbalanced wheels, etc. But a good test to diagnose is to jack it up and put the wheels in motion. Check the engine bay as well to see if there's any shaking there while the wheels are spinning in the air. Hopefully, you can isolate the problem by just doing that. Good luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ? (dj_BUDDAH)

hey thanks for teh info... I have the same shake, and a pull in my shifter... guess I gotta go check my mounts, make sure everything is fixed... hopefully this will get rid of that damn shaking...
Old 11-27-2005, 08:12 AM

its either, motor mounts, or steering rack{did this in my friends eg6} also you might need a alinment or could also be the tires are really worn from camber..
Old 11-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ? (eg6hatch94)

alignment or possible wheels weights. I had the same problem a while back and then I put my stock wheels back on and it got rid of the problem.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:19 AM

sound like the motor mounts to me. i had the same problem on my accord, it would shake really bad after 30 or so....i replaced the 2 worn mounts, and it ran pretty smooth
Old 11-27-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ? (solofthesouth)

actually, it shakes EVERYTIME TIME I HIT THE GAS. It weird, I cruise or when slowing down and braking and nothing happens. It rides smooth. THe only time it shakes is when accellerating. I am either thinking CV Axles or Motor Mounts. What would be the best guess, considering it was right after i did a couple track runs ??? Probably a busted axle or mount ?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:47 AM

Sounds like you have a bad axle. mine did the same thing. Everytime you get on it the car shakes bad right. you might check your axles. This is just my two cents
Old 11-27-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Shaking at 20mph - 80mph ... What could it be ? (Supa_Slow_Civic)

yup, everytime i get on it, it shakes horribly like left to right.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:08 PM

Like I said, did you try to jack the front car up and let the wheels spin so you can diagnose it easier? Listen to any noise or wobbly wheels while you gas it up in the air.