Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Shakes when I accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shakes when I accelerate

Okay I had the front tires rebalanced for free since I purchased my rims there so free of charge I watched the machine and it needed weights. I drove off and since I was in the street it was okay. Later in the day I drove in the highway and still shakes at 4500rpm 60mph on the money what the F could it be? It's not the tires and it's not the rims what could it be? Honda guru's take a swing at this dilemma I would really appreciate it.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shakes when I accelerate (dont_tri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dont_tri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Okay I had the front tires rebalanced for free since I purchased my rims there so free of charge I watched the machine and it needed weights. I drove off and since I was in the street it was okay. Later in the day I drove in the highway and still shakes at 4500rpm 60mph on the money what the F could it be? It's not the tires and it's not the rims what could it be? Honda guru's take a swing at this dilemma I would really appreciate it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

get em re balanced, if there ok on regular streets don't mean they are on the highway. Mayb they didn't take off the old weights? just get em re balanced. also, check ur back tires
Old 08-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they use an air gun to tighten up the lug nuts?
Old 08-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You bought rims there, However...did you get Hub-Centric rings? They're what centers the rim onto the hub for aftermarket wheels since they are not made to the same specs as your stock wheels for hub diameter. I've seen this cause vibration numerous times.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Shakes when I accelerate (EL Vap133)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did they use an air gun to tighten up the lug nuts? </TD></TR></TABLE>

?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dont_tri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Okay I had the front tires rebalanced for free since I purchased my rims there so free of charge I watched the machine and it needed weights. I drove off and since I was in the street it was okay. Later in the day I drove in the highway and still shakes at 4500rpm 60mph on the money what the F could it be? It's not the tires and it's not the rims what could it be? Honda guru's take a swing at this dilemma I would really appreciate it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if i had to guess, i would say motor mounts. the one thing many over look, but will cause shaking or vibrations when they are bad.

take a look at them for any cracks or torns.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shakes when I accelerate (philosofy1)

Sometimes when they tighten the lug nuts by hand tools, they do not tighten them up as good causing them to be loose. When you accelerate on a car with loose lug nuts, the steering wheel will shake.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shakes when I accelerate (EL Vap133)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sometimes when they tighten the lug nuts by hand tools, they do not tighten them up as good causing them to be loose. When you accelerate on a car with loose lug nuts, the steering wheel will shake. </TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed! but that's why sometime you need to watch those lazy techs and make sure they grab that torque wrench.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:53 PM

I saw them with the air gun they tighten it up well. However, I have to check and see if the original weights were removed. I'm assuming since this is a tire shop they would remove the originals.

If this helps any when I drive I feel a slight grind from under my feet like if my axles are grinding or need grease it's a wierd feeling but I feel it and hear it very slighty. Could there be something wrong with my axles? I had them replaced about four months ago thou.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dont_tri)

bad axles would also cause vibrations, but since you said it was replaced 4 months ago i highly doubt it (unless to drive really hard to break them). i also doubt they forgot to remove the old weights, unless it was the techs first day.

i would inspect the mounts and double check the axles.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:10 PM

A freind of mine told me to check the CV boots and make sure the axles are greased.

Motor Mounts inserts have been order but yeah my front right mount rubber is done. It's cracked and looks really bad.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dont_tri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A freind of mine told me to check the CV boots and make sure the axles are greased.

Motor Mounts inserts have been order but yeah my front right mount rubber is done. It's cracked and looks really bad. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well see you answered your own question. replace it and see how fast the problem goes away. be prepared though for engine vibration from the inserts.

as for the axles. if the boot is intact and not torn, they are greased.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:14 AM

So engine inserts will give me engine vibration. What should I do to eliminate that ? I will jack up the car and check the boots later today.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do they check road force on the machines they use?

if you balance a tire with a .020" or greater road force then they will still shake. ideal road force especially for the front is .018 and less

roadforce is caused by a tire which isnt perfectly round, or a wheel.

it can sometimes be fixed by turning the tire on the wheel (break the tire down, spin it 180°, remount, rebalance) but it helps to have a machine that measures it
Old 08-20-2006, 07:16 AM

The machone they used was just a mount the rim on and sping it and it had two lazers that pin point where to place the weights. It currently have .25's on and the machine required .75 and .95's I thout it was wierd but I guess they know what they are doing since it's a tire shop that has been there since forever.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dont_tri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The machone they used was just a mount the rim on and sping it and it had two lazers that pin point where to place the weights. It currently have .25's on and the machine required .75 and .95's I thout it was wierd but I guess they know what they are doing since it's a tire shop that has been there since forever. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if that machine said it needed a .75 weight and they used .25s then i dunno how that balanced out correctly.

i believe it would be in your best interest to get it re balanced somewhere else.