Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Setting Stock TPS Voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Stock TPS Voltage?

I have an eg/ej with an ond1 bseries swap. My idle is funky at times and i wanted to check/adjust the tps voltage.

Can anyone help me out with the process on this?

thanks
Old 12-24-2005, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Setting Stock TPS Voltage? (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an eg/ej with an ond1 bseries swap. My idle is funky at times and i wanted to check/adjust the tps voltage.

Can anyone help me out with the process on this?

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't adjust the tps, it is a sensor.

If you have a funky idle it is probably the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Replace that.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Setting Stock TPS Voltage? (JDM-97CX)

^^^ you can also clean them how is it idling
Old 12-24-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Setting Stock TPS Voltage? (Hondizzle!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondizzle! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^ you can also clean them how is it idling</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't, i'd just get a new one, they aren't that expensive.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you have a funky idle it is probably the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Replace that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can adjust the TPS

How to adjust your TPS if it is reading incorrect voltage:

-Get a volt meter, digital or analog.
-loosen screws that attach TPS to TB. (you may need to take a dremel and make a slot in each screw for a flathead, because USDM TB's have breakaway bolts instead of torque spit bolts)
-turn key to ignition.
-attach voltmeter to middle PIN on the harness and slowly rotate the TPS until the desired voltage is reached. (in this case, between 0.45-0.50 volts)
-tighten down screws finger tight and test for correct voltage at 0 throttle and at WOT (WOT = 4.45 or higher).
-if voltage is correct, tighten down screws, but not too tight or you will crack your TPS.
-turn on car and you should have a perfectly working TPS. You may need to readjust your idle if you messed with it while trying to figure out your original problem, like me.

This method saves the hassle of taking off the TB (not much of a hassle...but ya).
Old 12-24-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Setting Stock TPS Voltage? (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can adjust the TPS

-loosen screws that attach TPS to TB. (you may need to take a dremel and make a slot in each screw for a flathead, because USDM TB's have breakaway bolts instead of torque spit bolts)
-turn key to ignition.
-attach voltmeter to middle PIN on the harness and slowly rotate the TPS until the desired voltage is reached. (in this case, between 0.45-0.50 volts)
-tighten down screws finger tight and test for correct voltage at 0 throttle and at WOT (WOT = 4.45 or higher).
-if voltage is correct, tighten down screws, but not too tight or you will crack your TPS.
-turn on car and you should have a perfectly working TPS. You may need to readjust your idle if you messed with it while trying to figure out your original problem, like me.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, but it shouldn't be done, if there is a problem with a component like that it should just be replaced. Not to mention his tps isn't causing an idle problem.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JDMlyfestyle

thanks man, ill try that and see if its reading incorrectly.

Idle is weird, sometimes it will idle fine other times it will hang around 1200-1500 or bounce between 1200-1500, fully warm. Also when i press in the clutch it doesnt drop to 800, it will hang at 1200-1500 until im at a full stop and then it will slowly drop down to 800ish... or it will drop to 800 right when i press the clutch then rev up to 1200-1500 all on its own and hold there until im at a full stop...

I have cleaned my IACV and bypassed my FITV so Im thinking its either TPS or the IACV is bad altogether.....

thoughts welcome!
Old 12-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wouldn't, i'd just get a new one, they aren't that expensive.</TD></TR></TABLE>
True but there is no reason to replace a part that you are not sure is even broken. I clean these at work all the time with no problems... actually I had to clean mine when I bought my car about a year ago and no problems since. At least if it does fix the problem and it comes back you know what the problem is. Then replace the part
Old 12-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you unplugged the tps while the car is running
Old 12-24-2005, 03:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondizzle! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">True but there is no reason to replace a part that you are not sure is even broken. I clean these at work all the time with no problems... actually I had to clean mine when I bought my car about a year ago and no problems since. At least if it does fix the problem and it comes back you know what the problem is. Then replace the part </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm am a tech, if I replace something, it IS broken.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondizzle! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you unplugged the tps while the car is running</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope.. should i? what should it do if its working correctly? if its not?
Old 12-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm and you are not the one working on this car or replacing the part so that is absolutely irrelevant to the matter at hand
Actually that was stupid Im sorry it will idle funny with the tps unplugged
Old 06-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can adjust the TPS

-turn key to ignition.

This method saves the hassle of taking off the TB (not much of a hassle...but ya).</TD></TR></TABLE>good info

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm am a tech, if I replace something, it IS broken.</TD></TR></TABLE>maybe a tech but you don't know hondas. lots of time when taking a motor out and reinstalling them the tps get bump and knocked ot of spec. just needs adjusting most of the time.
search does work
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Setting Stock TPS Voltage?

so what could be causing the idle to go up and down at times i have the same problem
Old 01-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Vacuum leak.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 AM

vacuum leak or air in coolant
Old 01-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM-97CX

Yea, but it shouldn't be done, if there is a problem with a component like that it should just be replaced. Not to mention his tps isn't causing an idle problem.
Yeah, no. What you said isn't remotely true. Don't BS people on this site with your lack of knowledge. Your not a tech either because if you were a tech, you would know that you can adjust a TPS.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 AM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Setting Stock TPS Voltage? (turbotime)

Originally Posted by jdm-97cx
you can't adjust the tps, it is a sensor.
fail
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Icon3 Re: Setting Stock TPS Voltage? (JDM-97CX)

Originally Posted by JDMlyfestyle

If you have a funky idle it is probably the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Replace that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can adjust the TPS

-turn key to ignition.

This method saves the hassle of taking off the TB (not much of a hassle...but ya).
Very Nice! In my opinion you're a real OG of the game. Your write up is to the point with no . THANK YOU this is what Honda-Tech should be about. Answers to your car questions. I have been looking for some, and I see there's lots of kids in here, I'am not talking about age, talking about maturity. I see H-T lacks Real OGs of this Game. !and thats real!

Last edited by _MARS_; 03-26-2009 at 12:08 PM.