Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Serious Question.......For those that feel like helping me out Suspension Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 04:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serious Question.......For those that feel like helping me out Suspension Newbie Question

So, I have a 100% bone stock VX.

On the highway, at around 100 mph and while entering a curve the car feels unstable (No **** )

It acts like it wants to turn more than what I am telling it to.

As you can see when it comes to suspension, I am

Please tell me, simple ways that I can make my Civic more stable under high speeds.

I am planning to swap in the future, (GS-R no need for h22 setup) so I would like to know which parts I should be looking for.

Please recommend suspension setups and I would appreciate it if you can also share with me your experience with your setups.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Serious Question.......For those that feel like helping me out Suspension Newbie Question (2 B 4

1st word of advice... is slow down on public roads and your car will be much more stabel
Old 02-06-2003, 05:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Serious Question.......For those that feel like helping me out Suspension Newbie Question (2 B 4

1st word of advice... is slow down on public roads and your car will be much more stabel
Thanks for the advice.

I am sure you have never driven that fast on a public road.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No I haven't I save that for the Track.

So let me get this strait your ar is unstable @ 100mph and you still drive that fast on a public road knowing your car is unstable.... ok...
Old 02-06-2003, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get some stabilizer bars (sway bars), that may help and be relatively cheap.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah get some bars to tighten it up
and yes slow down, a honda civic at 100 mph isnt very stable NO MATTER what lol..especially a light hatch
Old 02-06-2003, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is your car lowered at all? a mild drop will reduce the amount of air that gets under the car and make it a little more stable at speed.

A honda can be very stable at speed. I *accidentally* found myself cruising at 95mph on the interstate a few weeks back. No I didn't do it on purpose, but the car felt just like it was doing 60mph. Very smooth and stable.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First off, what kind of tires are you running? Most economy tires are not rated for that speed and they may blow if your not careful, especially going into a turn that fast. Second, you need to stiffen your suspension with a set of coils/struts or coilovers, complimented with a set of new performance tires. Also, be cautious of others when driving that fast on public roads....you could cause an accident and kill someone!
Old 02-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First off, what kind of tires are you running? Most economy tires are not rated for that speed and they may blow if your not careful, especially going into a turn that fast.
Good call, some new wheels would probably go a long way. I can't wait to take those dinky 13's off of my VX for some 15's. Im sure the wider and better gripping tire would make a huge difference. (I felt a difference going from EX 14's with OE Dunlops to the 15's with Kuhmos, so the step up from the VX should be even bigger) Plus, new wheels always do alot for the look of the car, if you are into that sort of thing.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay...so you've got a stock VX and you're going through turns at 100?

And I thought I was dumb for doing 125 on a long flat straight near the coast...

Okay, here's what you need:

Everything.

You need new wheels and tires.
You need new shocks and springs.
You will probably need some sway bars.
You need braces (upper strut and lower tie bars).
You might also want to pick up some aerodynamic parts, like a duckbill spoiler and a front splitter.

Then, you want to go and get into a small accident, so you start to RESPECT the road, your car, your life, and the cars and lives of others.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't everybody start playing Driver's Ed teacher...come on. I am a VERY good drive, but when the coast is clear, I may get it up to 90-100 for kicks, then slow back down. Don't be telling him not to drive 100, because he knows he shouldn't, or at least he should

I say some ground controls and some KYB AGX shocks, which would be a good cheap setup. RUn you about 600 bucks.

After that I would say a front strut bar, then tires, or tires/wheel, and sway bars.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im going to go with spring/strut upgrades followed by tires and perhaps wider wheels.
Although I notice some feeling of unstability at speeds like that, and I do utillze the above combination, I just don't think our cars are meant to go that fast.

I think of it lke this:
at a 100+MPH impact, your chances of walking away from a Hatch are slim to none. I really have to keep this in mind when I ravage the powerband b/c the century mark approches so rapidly w/ a swap...
Old 02-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't everybody start playing Driver's Ed teacher...come on. I am a VERY good drive, but when the coast is clear, I may get it up to 90-100 for kicks, then slow back down. Don't be telling him not to drive 100, because he knows he shouldn't, or at least he should
That's true, but they are right in what they are saying. There has been more than one H-T member that has lost their lives in auto accidents, I don't think anyone wants to see another one. It is good that many people here do at least present an air of responsibility, even if it does come across as a lecture from mom and dad.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:25 AM

Well first things first, I didn't know VX's could go that fast

Second, You'll probably want to get a nice suspension setup... I'm going with H&R Race Springs and KYB AGX Shocks, installing this weekend but I've ridden in them before, pretty good ride and handles real well. Once you have that you should be pretty stable at high speeds, but the next step would be strut/sway bars. My only recommendation is not get TOO stiff, there is such a thing as a car that's too stiff... you need your body to flex somewhat in order for it to hold to the ground.... If you go to strong in the back your tail end will kick out easier and that's no fun In the front if you go too strong you will have bad understeer, which is where you turn the wheel, but just keep going straight in a sense. Hope this helps, good luck and have a great day! Drive safely

Scott
Old 02-06-2003, 09:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thanks for caring.

I am not a dangerous driver. I don't put anyone's life at risk. The speed limit is the west virginia highways is 70 mph. Everyday, on the way to work I don't do 100. I have done it a few times and it is no big deal when the road is empty. The specific place where I do has a new jersey concrete barrier which is more than 6 ft tall so noone can see me and I have amazing range of visibility.

With a 87 911 turbo I did 155 mph and with my friends Hayabusa we did close to 180 mph on this straightaway.

100 mph is not a big deal for a few seconds. I believe you guys are overeacting. I wasn't racing anyone.

Anyway, I have no intention in turning this into a flamefest.

I just want to learn more about suspensions on Hondas.

Thank you for keepinf an eye out for me.

Hopefully I will make it, and live to see both of my children graduate college.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:43 AM

Keep it Simple
~get the ride height lower with some good springs
~new aftermarket struts to match the springs
~15" wheels with some good tires 205/50/15 or so
~sway bars will help
~check over all the tie rods ends, upper ball joints, lower ball joints, wheel bearings, etc and replace as nessesary.

Seeming that you are planning a swap you will be happier if you choose your set-up by thinking ahead. I'd suggest either full coilovers (if you have the cash) or Ground Controls with good struts (Koni yellows are great choices). Later you can change the coils for different spring rates to compinsate for the engine swap.

Lower the ride height but not dragging the ground low.

Sway bars are nice, you could go with ST or with an oem sway bars. I'd take it under consideration if you plan to use sway bars when choosing spring rates.

Some suggestions, I hope it helps alittle Good luck man
Old 02-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Later you can change the coils for different spring rates to compinsate for the engine swap.
About that, is there any reason you couldn't just buy Integra coilovers? Am I wrong in thinking they would bolt right up, and have the extra stiffness required for a B18?
Old 02-06-2003, 12:52 PM

About that, is there any reason you couldn't just buy Integra coilovers? Am I wrong in thinking they would bolt right up, and have the extra stiffness required for a B18?
True but who said 'Teg spring rates are what he will need? Versatility is always nice too.

[Modified by SLPR, 2:05 PM 2/6/2003]
Old 02-06-2003, 01:10 PM

and yes slow down, a honda civic at 100 mph isnt very stable NO MATTER what lol..especially a light hatch [/QUOTE]

sorry but you are 180degrees from the truth on that one, i wont get into specifics b/c i dont want to get flamed for being unsafe myself.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

True but who said 'Teg spring rates are what he will need? Versatility is always nice too.

[Modified by SLPR, 2:05 PM 2/6/2003]
Well, you mentioned getting coilovers now, then swapping stiffer springs to compensate for the swap. I took that to mean a heavier B series engine, therefore the Integra coilovers would be tuned for such a setup. Just thought it would be less work and money.