Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SERIOUS Clutch Problem NEED HELP FASTT

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERIOUS Clutch Problem NEED HELP FASTT

I have a civic 93 ex coup. I was driving today, and all of a sudden the clutch was really really hard to step down. It shifts fine, if i can step on the clutch. Later I realized I don't even need to step all the way down to shift. I stepped down only about half way to shift. I checked the clutch fluid, it's still full.

Any help would be great.
If I need to repleace any part please tell me, and place pictures.

thanks
Old 03-04-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Re: SERIOUS Clutch Problem NEED HELP FASTT (ditsboy)

how many miles on it (clutch,engine)?
any mods?
Old 03-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

umm..no offense or nothing, but since when do u have to push the clutch all the way in to shift? Clutch should only have to be pushed in approx 1/3 of the way to shift cleanly.....

PUshing the clutch in all teh way is for starting it and wasting the clutch spring...

In any event, did u check the tranny fluid?
Old 03-04-2006, 05:29 PM

Default Re: SERIOUS Clutch Problem NEED HELP FASTT (sleeper101)

i actually don't know how many miles on it. engine is about 228k d16, the throwout baring is worn that i know because it whisles. now i can press down to about the height of the break (before the break is depressed) then it gets really hard to push down, and i was able to shift at that height. I actually don't know how to check tranny fluid, where can i check that? and what does tranny have to do with the clutch paddle
Old 03-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ur right, I wasn't thinking straight, I was thinking of shifting trouble O.o

I have no idea what happens after a throwout bearing stops making that noise (it goes), I've always replaced mine before it "goes" I guess just when it makes that noise, so I don't know what would happen if I just let it be, others can let me know if that's possible or not..
Old 03-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

if the throwout bearing went you would prob hear a grinding because the press plate is still spinning but the bearing would be locked up and grinding aginst it.. in any sence you would feel more of a vibration from the petal... if its harder to press i would check your master cylinder and slave cyl. if there good i would replace the clutch and pressure plate.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm..no offense or nothing, but since when do u have to push the clutch all the way in to shift? Clutch should only have to be pushed in approx 1/3 of the way to shift cleanly.....

PUshing the clutch in all teh way is for starting it and wasting the clutch spring...

In any event, did u check the tranny fluid?</TD></TR></TABLE>

is there any truth to this??
Old 03-05-2006, 12:11 AM

the clutch spring is designed to be depressed. it doesnt matter how far you are pressing it because the actual clutch diaphram spring is only moving about 1/4 an inch. the throwout bearing wont come apart, its made in a way so that it will stay together. when you hear it rumbling with the clutch in its time to replace it, when you hear wistling when the clutch is out, its the input shaft bearing on your tranny, if the clutch is hard to push when you are half way in, then youve got a prob with the clutch master cyl.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kevinarich)

wut bout squeeking noise in the peddle
Old 03-05-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Re: (JDMKid71)

if its the master or slave cylinder shouldn't i get no pressure instead? i have press really hard to get that pedal down....
Old 03-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ditsboy)

it can work both ways. no pressure or the diaphram (is that the right word?) inside the master cly. is getting seized or stuck somehow. just an idea maybe im totaly out in left field... haha
Old 03-05-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Re: (sohctodohc)

squeaking noise in the pedal would be from the little spring not having any oil on it and all its anti sqeak gone. You know like an old spring loaded screen door, same concept, just get down there with some white lithium and spray it down. and work the pedal untill it goes away, the spring is to return the pedal to the upright postion when there is no clutch connected. its right next to the pushrod under that dash.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Re: (ditsboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ditsboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if its the master or slave cylinder shouldn't i get no pressure instead? i have press really hard to get that pedal down....</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you have a hydro clutch then its got to be one of the cylinders, are you sure you got the right type fluid in that thing. because if somone ever put power steering fluid in there it would cause the seals to swell and seaze it up.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: (Kevinarich)

any diy for replace the master?