Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

To Sell or Not?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Sell or Not?

Ok so i own a '95 ex coupe i bought used bone stock. I've owned for a little over 2 years its my first honda and i guess have grown kinda attached to it. I have a gsr in it with light flywheel and clutch kit, its a non-abs so i did a rear disc swap, gsr sways well its basicly a gsr with header back exhaust and intake and suspension braces, have upgraded pads and steel braided lines, just recently installed d2 coilovers with camber kits front and back to replace my spring over shock set up, i havent even let the suspension settle yet to fine tune the suspension and alignment. But its my daily driven project and do a lot of spirted driving with it. Its always put a smile on my face everytime i drive it. I did all the work with a friend of mine who owns a EF hatch. It was never ment to be a show car or an investment to resell, i started moding in search for the driving bliss.....i basicly love to drive. but im not done with it. Its not a brand new car any car with high milage will have its share of problems espescially a car that swaped and moded.

Well I've recently ran across a kid who really likes the car. Hes drivin it and wants to buy. Ive thought about it and thought "oh cool, he likes it and is into cars too" so i thought he'll take care of it and will finish the job i started. Well come to find out hes lost his license twice already, wrecked 2 cars and cant even change his own oil. But he's willing to give me what i've invested in it and a little more (i guess for the labor since i did all the work myself).

Thats where you guys come in im thinking since you guys are all enthusiest what better place to ask for opinions. Because everyone is telling me the same thing SELL IT! Only one person is telling me to keep it (and shes not even into cars) and says why am i gonna sell it to someone who'll wreck, blow it up, or get it impounded and i'll probably never see it again, its my sweat and blood in it. Thanxs for any input.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: To Sell or Not? (sEa lOS gRill)

It sounds like you love that car. Unless you are hard up for cash, why sell it?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Why is he driving the car if he hasn't bought it yet?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Re: To Sell or Not? (B18C5-EH2)

test drive, potetial buyers usually get to test drive a car they want to buy.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sEa lOS gRill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">test drive, potetial buyers usually get to test drive a car they want to buy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

...only AFTER they've submitted a credit check to see if they can REALLY afford the car, and after they've surrendered their license as well.

I'm just saying be VERY careful letting others joy ride YOUR car while it's still YOURS.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:22 PM

im not a dealer. im selling my car independantly, how am i going to do a credit check, and why am i gonna take someone elses licence for a ride around the blcok.if some one is in the market to buy a car and they are interested in mine im gonna let them drive it like a normal person its not a race car, its not like i let him take it over the weekend or by themselves. And he still wants to take it off my hands. thanks for the heads up but this is not about leting someone joy ride my car, do you think its worth letting some kid buy a car u worked hard on just so he can kill it?

But i guess its a question for someone who has accually put wrench time on a personal car and enjoy it after your done to answer that.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 PM

i wouldnt sell it unless a guy had a gun to my head and wanted money lol...its up to you. what do u want more happiness or money.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sEa lOS gRill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. . . he's willing to give me what i've invested in it and a little more (i guess for the labor since i did all the work myself). </TD></TR></TABLE>

These are questions that I'd have to have answered before I'd consider selling my ride.
1) Have you given your car a name?
2) Do you find yourself looking out of the window of you house/apartment starring at the beauty that is "insert the name of the car?"
3) Have you just put "labor" into the car, or your own "Blood, Sweat, and Tears?"
4) If you sold it, how would you feel if the new owner drove it into a light pole?

That might give you a better feel for your car.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: To Sell or Not? (TahitianEG)

1. yea kinda
2. not only that sometimes i park it on the side of the road or parking lot and walk around it just to see it at different angles.
3. Oh yea theres alota bloody sweaty tears in'er
4. Thats what makes me not want to sell it in the first place.

like i said its not the fastest, a head turner, or in the best shape.
Maybe hes gonna have to put a gun to my head to sign the title off....
money isnt everything but it helps........alot.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as he buys it.. who cares what he does to it....
Old 11-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Resident Gearhead

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TahitianEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

These are questions that I'd have to have answered before I'd consider selling my ride.
1) Have you given your car a name?
2) Do you find yourself looking out of the window of you house/apartment starring at the beauty that is "insert the name of the car?"
3) Have you just put "labor" into the car, or your own "Blood, Sweat, and Tears?"
4) If you sold it, how would you feel if the new owner drove it into a light pole?

That might give you a better feel for your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Excellent points. Looking at this list I can see that I could not sell my car. My friend (and now me) calls my car "the Nova" because it's a stripped model, old and fast.

TahitianEG: You got your avatar from that issue of SCC "Project EG Civic - Street Terror" right? I loved that build.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha dude you just summed it up

i do all of those lol

dont sell it!
Old 11-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To Sell or Not? (vlc92189)

If you sell it you'll kick yourself in the *** many times. Money is money, you can always get it back, well as long as you have a job. However, you will never be able to get that car back once its gone...

Keep it...
Old 11-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i say no...dont sell it. i wouldnt sell my 93 hatch to anyone who couldnt drive or who has had their liscense rejected 2 times! i love my car so why sell it to someone who wouldnt love it or care for it like i would. it sounds like a nice build, unless you need the money, keep it. you will find someone that is willing to give you the same amount if not more for the same car. be patient. enjoy it while you have it. and wait for a young teenager that can drive to sell it to them. 16 year olds love cars and usually take care of their first car. i did...i still have it. so its up to you, but dont sell your love to someone who will total it. think of it like this...your car is like your girl....you love her while you are with her. then when you sell it, or break up with her, you still wanna see it/her around sometimes. you cant do that if he kills her/wrecks it. lol so make the right decision for you.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:41 PM

No matter what anyone says it's your car. You will always be happier if you make up your own mind what to do, It's what makes you happy
Old 11-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (lowfast)

^^Exactly.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (black_EM1)

Well, kind of weird, if he bought it, why does it matter what happens to it? It's his car by that time anyways
Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by sEa lOS gRill

But i guess its a question for someone who has accually put wrench time on a personal car and enjoy it after your done to answer that.
You added that to the tail end of a direct reply to me - I'm sorry but were you targeting ME with that remark?

Let me ask you - how much "wrench time" have you put into your car?

I stripped my entire car down to a bare shell, had the entire chassis resprayed (color change) and then reassembled the entire car back - hard lines, entire chassis harness rewrapped, engine, suspension swap, disc brake conversion, etc. etc.

Before:

After:

...that's just my current "project" car. I built it over 5 years ago and have not had a single reliability issue (except for breaking axles and transmission a few times due to a retarded clutch set-up I used to run) so yes I've thoroughly enjoyed it all this time.

I have also completely torn apart the entire interiors of two cars, 1990 and 1991 civic hatches, to swap from black to blue interior in my current "beater" civic.

I did a nice swap/build on a 1992 Si that my wife drove and then sold it. I still see the car every now and then at my shop.

I also did three different engine swaps in my old 1992 Si (not even the same one my wife drove) only to drop a stock engine back in it to sell it to help fund the build of my current car, so yeah I've got a fuckton of "wrench time" and I've sold two of my creations, so I have first-hand experience with this situation.

In the case of my 1992 Si I had the car completely repainted, looked brand new, etc. etc. and the guy I sold it to TOTALLEd it no less than three different times, blew the engine up twice, etc. etc. and honestly I didn't care because I got my money out of it to build my current car.

My wife's old car is running strong still, and the guy's looking to sell it. I'd buy it back, but honestly I've got my car, my wife has an 05 Element, and my "beater" 1991 Civic with a rebuilt engine (funny I built that one myself too! How's this adding up for "wrench time?") runs too damn awesome to let it go. Read about the SOHC build here https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=401890

So yeah thanks for tossing, what seemed to me like an insult, my way.

I was offering you honest advice, and you seemed to think I was being the dick.

If he blows your car up on his drive, even around the block, you are FUCKED.

People STEAL cars every day with the old "I want to buy it, let me drive it" addage and then they're gone forever. Hell yes either hold his license while he drives it (that way he has more incentive to not drive like a moron) or better yet, ride with him so he can't steal the car and/or drive like a retard.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 12:08 PM 11/27/2007

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 1:41 PM 11/27/2007

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 1:47 PM 11/27/2007
Old 11-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if u REALLY want the money, then do it...but if it were me i would not even do it. i wouldnt be able to live with myself if i new a car that I put ALL my time and effort into was in the hands of a person who cant drive and cant change his own oil (LOL THATS FUNNY).
Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Resident Gearhead

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You added that to the tail end of a direct reply to me - I'm sorry but were you targeting ME with that remark?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think he was. But If he was it is a really stupid mistake.

B18C5-EH2 knows his ****. Learn more about peole before bashing.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Former Moderator

Oh by the way I guess I never truly answered the original question. I just hope I've proven enough "wrench time" to qualify my answer as worthy for the OP.

Anyways my answer is that if you are building the car for satisfaction, and you wnjoy driving it then I can't see any reason to sell it to anyone - true enthusiast, or dumbshit kid.

Unless you're hurting for cash, or you have your eyes on another project then why sell the car?

The only way I'd sell any one of my projects is to upgrade.

I sold my 1992 Si HB in order to bankroll a good portion of my current car build - upgrade.

I sold my wife's 1992 Si HB in order to drop $5,500.00 on the then-brand new 2005 Element she'd been wanting - upgrade.

I'd never sell my current 1992 CX (the silver one) unless someone offered me STUPID money for it, which actually a guy from Cali has done about three times now. Unless you can take the money you get from your current car and either completely replicate it, or better, upgrade it substantially over what you've got now then there's no point unless you like losing time and money invested.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:50 PM

B18C5-EH2 I wasnt attacking/ targeting you or anyone else. I dont understand where you got to thinking that you where a target, if i wanted to single you out i would have started my comment directed twards you. I didnt start this to start any crazy bashing or anything i simply wanted other peoples opinion.

Thats cool that you know your way around a car. Im not new to it either. I dont really document any of the stuff i do. But i am a vw tech been doing it for a little over 3 years. Ive done motor swaps and rebuilds/ ive rebuilt heads and trannys. Body harness's (you gotta remove complete interriors) Ive worked on alot of different cars. I just recently installed some coilovers on my bro's Mr2. They are usually friends and reletives cars if its not a Veedub. But what i have noticed when anyone is trying to build up a car it really comes down to how deep your pockets are, if your doing the work on it youself or not. Thats why i have mostly crappy camara fone pix. thats my car some friends and family cars i work on.

Thanx for you input.

Modified by sEa lOS gRill at 3:04 PM 12/16/2007
Old 12-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** I wouldnt sell my car! My car has been in a wreck once thanx to a stupid lady and i repaired it and everything and brought it back to life!!I love my EG8 and i wouldnt sell or trade it, the only way i would get rid of it is if it was wrecked to the point of no return!(TOTALLED)or Stolen which ever comes first(Stripped).But its up to you, like other guys said i wouldnt like seeing some thumb *** thrash the car 2 days after i sold it to them That would make me
Old 12-16-2007, 03:54 PM

Civics are a dime a dozen.

I doubt I would care.

It doesn't sound like you even want to sell it, though.