Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sedan won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sedan won't start

Ok got back into the honda game after a small vacation and picked up a four door eg auto for a cheap daily for the time being. Previous owner said that is died and he tried to start it once. Well I've tried to start it and the starting whines, yet motor doesn't turn over. Switched starters and did nothing. He thought it had no compression and was maybe locked up . Put a breaker on the crank pulley and motor turns over fine by hand. Checked timing and it was lined up. So I'm thinking its a flex plate problem perhaps? Can anyone shed any light on this for me
Old 05-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sedan won't start

Possibly the teeth on the tq converter......or Motor has low compression / flooded
Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the inspection cover under the engine/trans and turn the crank shaft. See if the torque converter turns while turning the crankshaft. If not, there is a problem there.

Hard to suggest a specific route to take if I can't hear the noise.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would also pull the starter out but leave connected have some one turn the key to make sure its actually turning over. may not b getting correct voltage to turn over but enough to cause it to whine
Old 07-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres my findings after today.

Got a good battery in and still won't turn over. Timings dead on. Pulled the plugs and checked for spark which is ok. Cranked it w/out plugs to see if the car would turn over. Cam gear and accessories turn and it turns over with ease. Put plugs back in an add compression, the cam gear will move a little, stop, move a little, stop while trying to crank the car over. Got under the motor and turned it over by hand and heard a metal on metal sound. However, it isn't comming from the motor. I'm at a loss at the moment.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91boostedSi
heres my findings after today.

Got a good battery in and still won't turn over. Timings dead on. Pulled the plugs and checked for spark which is ok. Cranked it w/out plugs to see if the car would turn over. Cam gear and accessories turn and it turns over with ease. Put plugs back in an add compression, the cam gear will move a little, stop, move a little, stop while trying to crank the car over. Got under the motor and turned it over by hand and heard a metal on metal sound. However, it isn't comming from the motor. I'm at a loss at the moment.
Jumped timing & bent valves... Congrats, motor is now junk.

Look into a rebuild.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pull the head, if bottom end is fine just throw on a cheap head
Old 07-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch

Look into a rebuild.
Really? I've owned several dsms and if the timing belt fails it's noticeable. All the timing marks line up.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a thought, you said you check for spark and timing, did you check for gas? I would lossen the banjo bolt and see if any gas comes out.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch

Look into a rebuild.
This
Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your timing is on it is not likely that you jumped timing and bent valves. What happened between the time you said the starter won't engage the torque converter and now, besides replacing the battery?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phootbag
If your timing is on it is not likely that you jumped timing and bent valves. What happened between the time you said the starter won't engage the torque converter and now, besides replacing the battery?
Nothing really. The first day I got it home a few buddys were suggesting the starter. But since the car had been sitting for a while I threw my spare in to see what would happen. Anywho worked on it some more today and found out where my metal on metal sound is comming from. Pulled the oil pan to get a look around and bottom end looks good-nothing is out of the ordinary. Looking towards the tranny, the flex plate is getting caught up on a metal piece attached to the casing on the tranny. I would have taken a pic but I didn't have my camera on me. Anywho this piece of metal is getting caught in the holes in the flexplate and that's what is hanging the motor up when it is starting. Is there any specific reasoning as to why this is happening? Never really dealt with auto trannys on a honda.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well fellas here's an update to this thread for any of those who have been following

thats the old flexplate next to the new one. I now see why the cam gear would "jump". Went ahead and pulled the old zc out to look everything over. My pops was in town for the weekend so we made a small project out of it. Was pretty happy that it was something as simple as this. Unfortunately didn't get to finish it over labor day weekend so it will be done next weekend