Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Security Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Question

I recently purchased a 1995 DX Hatchback and I knew security would be one of the biggest issues I'd encounter, but the more I read the threads on HT the more worried I am this car will disappear before I can even get it registered and insured under my name... I fully intend to wire in an ignition disable switch somewhere on the car as well as use a "club" to help from it possibly getting stolen in a parking lot, etc. I guess my main concern is how I can protect someone from getting inside it in general? I don't want my radio or school parking pass (which costs $50) to get stolen out of my car since pretty much any Honda key will work in the door, but at the same time I don't want to eliminate the key holes or wire in a crazy alarm system because I want to keep the car totally stock. Am I just going to have to break down and get an alarm? Or does someone more experienced have another idea?
Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Security Question

If you don't plan on taking whatever precautions you need to then plan on having it stolen. Might as well leave the keys in the ignition. My wife says leave them in the door lock. I have as much security on mine as I can get and the only way anyone's getting my ride is with a flatbed.

Stealth alarms. Kill switches. Pedal locks. Removable steering wheels. Boot locks. Jimmie Jammers. Low jack. Garages. Name your poison.

An not every key opens every lock. I cannot open my wife's hatch nor can she open my coupe. But you being in Cali chances are you will have a greater chance of getting your car snatched than i so stop fronting and put on the security you need to AT LEAST make a thief think twice.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You CAN get custom locks and keys made that are separate from the ignition.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
If you don't plan on taking whatever precautions you need to then plan on having it stolen. Might as well leave the keys in the ignition. My wife says leave them in the door lock. I have as much security on mine as I can get and the only way anyone's getting my ride is with a flatbed.

Stealth alarms. Kill switches. Pedal locks. Removable steering wheels. Boot locks. Jimmie Jammers. Low jack. Garages. Name your poison.

An not every key opens every lock. I cannot open my wife's hatch nor can she open my coupe. But you being in Cali chances are you will have a greater chance of getting your car snatched than i so stop fronting and put on the security you need to AT LEAST make a thief think twice.
I'm not so much worried about someone driving it off with the car as I am them just stealing things out of my interior, but I'll look into some of those things. Thanks. Not sure if I should be insulted or not by you saying I need to stop "fronting"... but ok... whatever that means...

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
You CAN get custom locks and keys made that are separate from the ignition.
I'll have to look into that, thank you.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always add a flashing LED from Radio Shack. They even sell a kit! I think it's around three bucks.

Another school of thought is to leave the doors unlocked and no valuables in the car.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slogfilet
You can always add a flashing LED from Radio Shack. They even sell a kit! I think it's around three bucks.

Another school of thought is to leave the doors unlocked and no valuables in the car.
Yes I had one of those in my MK1 MR2 so I'll probably be getting one for my Honda as well. It helps against the "crime of opportunity" folks I'm sure.