Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Searched: D16z6 Build Questions that I can't find answers too.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searched: D16z6 Build Questions that I can't find answers too.

Let me start off by saying that I am not Dream, I am his roomate and I have been searching the Honda-Tech boards for a while now. I recently found a post made by Spade some time ago that put me on to my D16Z6 quite heavily and now I have some final questions.

I've searched for a total of three days on some stuff and I couldn't find anything on it, so now i'm going to post up and ask them. Please no flaming, if I mis-searched on some of this stuff then sorry, but I really did put effort into trying to find the right kind of information.

I plan on building up the SOHC motor for a moderate setup.. this is what i'm looking to get within the next week or two:

intake/tb/fuel rail/injectors, 4-1 header, Y8 head w/ VTEC solenoid, head studs, valve cover, and i'll even throw in the ECU. $300 flat. hell, i'll toss in the "almost new" (under 2K miles) distributor with NGK Blue Plug wires too.

D16y8 - Intake Manfiold/Throttle Body/Injectors/4-1 Image Performance headers/Y8 Head with V-tec solenoid/Head Studs/Valve Cover/ECU/And Distributor with NGK Blue Plug Wires for 300 dollars here locally in ATL. No head gasket but I am also looking to get that.

A B18A1 Throttle Body for 20 dollars.

I'm also looking to get some pistons from D15b7 motor, the Flat ones. ALong with the d16y8 head gasket set.

My questions are as follows: Please again, offer help and educate me.

A) Swapping my D16z6 Head for a D16y8 Head boosts my compression dramatically from calculations, this includes the 2-layer gasket set and all. Is this a good idea or should I stay D16z6 and sell the y8 head? I know that the z6 flows better and the differences in heads.. I just need to know if it's actually anything worth doing.

B) Does anyone know the process for swapping those two heads? What materials will I need? I've seen plenty of posts concerning the fact that the bolts dont fit right.. too long too short. What are solutions if I do swap the head? How did you go about doing it?

C) Swapping the Intake Manifold onto a Z6 constitutes what problems? I've looked and searched but everyone is doing y8 onto y7... not much on y8->Z6. What will I need if anything extra?

D) Will the Throttle body I'm getting (B18A1) fit with the y8 IM? I know I have to port, that's been said multiple times but I need to know if the actual TB is going to bolt up without any problems?

C) Pistons. D15b7 pistons are what i'm shooting for if I dont swap heads. Will the stock deck height from my Z6 go with the pistons or do I face the dangers of head warp or the piston hitting the head? Can this be solved if it is a problem? What other pistons will get me to an 11:1 C/r and keep me in the safe zone?

That was all I had to ask for now.. Again sorry if someone has covered this but i've read so many posts and I can't find what im looking for. Again, I am not Dream, I am his roomate. Dream Drives a very clean DC5 and i'm jealous.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:11 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Searched: D16z6 Build Questions that I can't find answers too. (Dream)

I say keep your Z6 head and get rid of the y8...the y8 manifold is a good manifold, but now skunk2 is making a SOHC intake manifold and I think it would be better to get that. As for pistons, i'd get PM3's (D15B7). They will bump you to 11.2 : 1 which is just fine for street driving.

Here are a few links which can help you:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=554053 - SOHC Z6 head mini-me write up

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm - D series compression calculator

http://www.d-series.org/ - massive online D-series only community
Old 08-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright. In response to the Pistons... those are what i'm getting. They're cheap brand new from Honda and i've found a parts distributor that'll sell me all four for 75 brand new. I just need to know if i'll have any problems as far as stock d16z6 deck height with the PM3's.

I would love to have a Skunk SOHC IM.. but money isn't there man. That's why i'm going with just buying the whole y8 head for 300. I can part it out and make more than half that back in a few days.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-27-2003, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Searched: D16z6 Build Questions that I can't find answers too. (Dream)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dream &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A) Swapping my D16z6 Head for a D16y8 Head boosts my compression dramatically from calculations, this includes the 2-layer gasket set and all. Is this a good idea or should I stay D16z6 and sell the y8 head? I know that the z6 flows better and the differences in heads.. I just need to know if it's actually anything worth doing.

B) Does anyone know the process for swapping those two heads? What materials will I need? I've seen plenty of posts concerning the fact that the bolts dont fit right.. too long too short. What are solutions if I do swap the head? How did you go about doing it?

C) Swapping the Intake Manifold onto a Z6 constitutes what problems? I've looked and searched but everyone is doing y8 onto y7... not much on y8-&gt;Z6. What will I need if anything extra?

D) Will the Throttle body I'm getting (B18A1) fit with the y8 IM? I know I have to port, that's been said multiple times but I need to know if the actual TB is going to bolt up without any problems?

C) Pistons. D15b7 pistons are what i'm shooting for if I dont swap heads. Will the stock deck height from my Z6 go with the pistons or do I face the dangers of head warp or the piston hitting the head? Can this be solved if it is a problem? What other pistons will get me to an 11:1 C/r and keep me in the safe zone?

That was all I had to ask for now.. Again sorry if someone has covered this but i've read so many posts and I can't find what im looking for. Again, I am not Dream, I am his roomate. Dream Drives a very clean DC5 and i'm jealous.

Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

First off, get pictures of the B18A1 TB and make sure you can mount all your sensors on that sucker.

A: 11.1:1 compression using the stock Y8 headgasket and Y8 head. Just tune it and always use high octane fuel and you'll be fine.

B: I'd suggest doing it yourself and getting a new Timing belt and water pump while your at it.

C: Y8 on to Z6 is a swap and play process. Make sure you get a manual Y8 if your manual!

D: The TB will fit but, I believe it doesn't have a mounting point for the MAP sensor.

C2: Good choice. Other pistons for a 11:1 comp would be custom made by any of the aftermarket manufacturers.

Suggest a 3 angle vavle job and replacing the valve seals while you have the head off.....even if it puts your project back a few months for funding, you want to do things right not twice.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh GOOD! SPADE! You're EXACTLY who I was looking for.

Okay. More than likely i'll be going with stock parts from other cars.

So are you saying that I SHOULD go with the y8 head and swap over, along with pistons and everything else? That'll put me at a serious *** compression ratio that i'm not looking for.. something around 12 right? With the pistons I mean.

Or should I go this route:

y8 Headgasket kit
y8 Intake Manifold
B18b ( if I can find one ) TB
D15b7 pistons ( pm3 )

That should do be around 11 and change?
Everything portmatched of course.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I have an AEM CAI for my 1992 EX-v, will that work for the IM/TB setup or do I need to look out for a bigger CAI?

This will be my setup after I get enough info to decide what to do next week:

1992 Civic EX-V Manual (D16z6)
AEM CAI
d16y8 ( 60mm port )
GSR TB
Airmass Full Catback ( 2.5 )
Image Performance 4-1 Headers

I won't do the piston work and stuff until next month but I need to know what kinda money to save. Really wanting to go with the Pm3's.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dream)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dream &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh GOOD! SPADE! You're EXACTLY who I was looking for.

Okay. More than likely i'll be going with stock parts from other cars.

So are you saying that I SHOULD go with the y8 head and swap over, along with pistons and everything else? That'll put me at a serious *** compression ratio that i'm not looking for.. something around 12 right? With the pistons I mean.

Or should I go this route:

y8 Headgasket kit
y8 Intake Manifold
B18b ( if I can find one ) TB
D15b7 pistons ( pm3 )

That should do be around 11 and change?
Everything portmatched of course.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As far as the pistons go, I think I have figured it out but I am not 100% sure.

The Compression height is throwing me off. It is the same on the A6, Z6, Y8 and GX.
However, if you throw a piston of different compression height into a block using that blocks rods, how does it affect the compression.

If the compression height affects where the piston sits in relation to the block height then yes, the PM3s are going to sit a little bit out of the block.
I stupidly didn't look into this in detail before opening my mouth.

If the compression height is the pistons resting height then the Piston to deck height for a.......this is wrong because the compression height is different from the deck height......

Damn, I hate not being able to think clearly......Back to this after questions are answered.

The only difference between the Z6 and Y8 headgaskets is that all 3 layers on the Y8 are metal while the Z6 has a metal inner layer and two carbon composite layers...they are the same thickness.

If your going to spend 1100, is there a specific reason your pushing N/A?
Compete Turbo kits have cost less. Just asking.

Old 08-27-2003, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dream &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, I have an AEM CAI for my 1992 EX-v, will that work for the IM/TB setup or do I need to look out for a bigger CAI?

This will be my setup after I get enough info to decide what to do next week:

1992 Civic EX-V Manual (D16z6)
AEM CAI
d16y8 ( 60mm port )
GSR TB
Airmass Full Catback ( 2.5 )
Image Performance 4-1 Headers

I won't do the piston work and stuff until next month but I need to know what kinda money to save. Really wanting to go with the Pm3's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you considered better gearing or something other than engine work?
Going from a 4.2 final to a 4.7 or 4.9 will really open your eyes.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Spade)

just the kinda post i love to see. D-SERIES!!
Old 08-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think getting a SRR (?) final drive or some other company would be better than doing the pistons and such first?

About how much does something like that run with installation?
Old 08-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And yeah about the 1100 dollars? I meant 11 for c/r, not that amount of money. LoL. I dont have that kinda cheese. But on the turbo side, where do you know I could get a turbo kit for cheaper than 1100 cause that's how much I see them for. I never really looked into homemade ones because i've heard they'll destroy something.

Also yeah, the piston thing... I'm worrid about Pm3's in my D16z6 hitting something. I dont know if the deck height keeping my stock settings will make it hit something and toss metal or something.

If that's the case and it won't hurt anything, i'll sell off the y8 head.. get pm3 pistons and y8 metal gasket ( thanks for clearing that up to on thickness. ). In no way do I want to get a 12 c/r. I don't manage my car good enough for that.

Keep em coming.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh damn.. that's another question i had to ask.

When switching over to the y8 IM, do I need to use the fuel rail and everythin from the y8 or just the IM itself and my Z6 stock parts?

Any info on switching the IM's over to z6 would be greatly appreciated.. can't find anything on that either.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dream &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you think getting a SRR (?) final drive or some other company would be better than doing the pistons and such first?

About how much does something like that run with installation?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The SSR final costs 450-550. You could probably find a deal on H-T.
Installation if the tranny is out of the car is going to cost around 250-300.
So, it's kinda pricey but if you do a post asking how everyone likes their Final drives, you'll know its worth it.

I know of a Fellow H-Ter that found a complete turbo kit w/intercooler for 900. Never used. He just kept his eyes on the Classifieds here.

Old 08-27-2003, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still have to find out if it's okay to put pm3's in my z6 at the stock piston/deck height. That's the biggest problem. I think i'll sell the y8 head for some recovery cheese.

Anyone know if I have to use the y8 fuel rails or my z6's will be fine?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not positive yet.......looking for exact piston measurements.
Specifically the center of the rod mount to the top of the piston.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:23 PM
Risky Business

just put P29's in and have 13.6 : 1 compression....
Old 08-27-2003, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh HELL no. LoL. 13.6 = death for Ferio.

I can't do that man. With Spade's D Comp Calc it comes out toa bout 11.1: 1 with pm3's and y8 head gasket. That's pretty decent for doing nothing at all really.

Dont explode looking for stuff Spade. But I do really appreciate the help from you AND Bauley. You guys seem to know what's up with the D stuff.

Besides I can buy the pm3 pistons brand new for 75 or get them off this guy's D15 for around 30. I guess that's why i'm choosing those pistons and that C/R. 11.1 - 11.7 sounds decent enough.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dream &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh damn.. that's another question i had to ask.

When switching over to the y8 IM, do I need to use the fuel rail and everythin from the y8 or just the IM itself and my Z6 stock parts?

Any info on switching the IM's over to z6 would be greatly appreciated.. can't find anything on that either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would also like to know if there is a differnce in the fuel rail/injectors. I read a post some time ago about the OBD-2 injectors not fitting the ODB-1 harness without modification. Can anyone confirm this?

Also you may want to look at D16A6 pistons from the 91 CRX Si. Those are the pistons I plan on using.

The D-Series compression calculator puts compression at 10.9:1 with a .50 overbore and Y8 head gasket.

From the research I have done this seems to be a popular and relatively safe combination. My pistons and rings are coming directly from the dealer.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I needed stuff to look for. been away from the computer for 4 days. LoL

Still hunting.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dream &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh HELL no. LoL. 13.6 = death for Ferio.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ferio eh? got any pics?

heres mine:
Old 08-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hunt then hunt! I need answers. LoL Nah really thanks.

Hey Creechr--

What motor do you have again?

I couldnt find anyone who planned on using D15 pistons in the three days i've been searching for this stuff.. so i'm going to do it. Might not be popular but if it runs right and the pistons drop without modification to anything, then i'll have myself a nice C/R. I'm staying OBD1 by the way, if that's possible with the TB and all that stuff being switched over to y8 and GSR.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics of my car? Nuh uh not yet. It needs paint badly. Besides it's too rice for this site, but it looks better than it did. LoL. I'll post up when it gets painted, which is in a week or so.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 08-27-2003, 02:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dream &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hunt then hunt! I need answers. LoL Nah really thanks.

Hey Creechr--

What motor do you have again?

I couldnt find anyone who planned on using D15 pistons in the three days i've been searching for this stuff.. so i'm going to do it. Might not be popular but if it runs right and the pistons drop without modification to anything, then i'll have myself a nice C/R. I'm staying OBD1 by the way, if that's possible with the TB and all that stuff being switched over to y8 and GSR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I rebuilding a D16Z6 for my '95 Si. The reason I mentioned the ODB-2 is because the Y8 is an ODB-2 motor. I'm not sure if the injectors from the Y8 will work with the stock ODB-1 harness.

I have a Y8 manifold that is sitting on a junk motor in the garage. Everything seems to fit perfectly. The IAT sensor will have to be extended and place somewhere in the intake tube. The PCV valve doesn't have a "holder" but, that can be zip tied or left hanging. The injectors and fuel rail are the only questions I have left.

I don't see why the D16Z6 injectors couldn't be cleaned and reused with the D16Z6 fuel rail. Then problem solved.

--Keep the thread alive!--
Old 08-27-2003, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How would you go about moving it somewhere into the intake tube?

Cleaning the injectors will be something I do when I switch the IM's definitely.

Just need to know what to do about the OBD issue. Keep which fuel rails and harness? Or splice or what?

Quick Reply: Searched: D16z6 Build Questions that I can't find answers too.