Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Searched archived and recent. Installing catback. Need torques specs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searched archived and recent. Installing catback. Need torques specs.

I'm going to be installing my Magnaflow catback this afternoon. I need the specs (NOT STOCK SPECS) for the cat and axle joints.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searched archived and recent. Installing catback. Need torques specs. (JRI94)

35 ft/lbs. for anybody who's interested. That's at the cat and axle. Specs come direct from Magnaflow.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Searched archived and recent. Installing catback. Need torques specs. (JRI94)

UH.....until it's tight. I have never used a torque wrench to install a catback. Just remove old exhaust, install new pieces (but don't tighten until everything is in place). then go back and tighten all the bolts.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searched archived and recent. Installing catback. Need torques specs. (hatchdrvr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchdrvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">UH.....until it's tight. I have never used a torque wrench to install a catback. Just remove old exhaust, install new pieces (but don't tighten until everything is in place). then go back and tighten all the bolts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I asked for torque specs. Not an igonorant response. You may choose not to use a torque wrench. I choose to use a torque wrench. But I will take your suggestion of not tightening anything until it's all in place.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whenever i tighten my exhaust i just do hand tight. I cant really fit a torque wrench under my car with only jackstands, to much hassle.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:42 AM

Just use the old German torque spec of "Gutentight". And a little anti-sieze might not suck either.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I asked for torque specs. Not an igonorant response. You may choose not to use a torque wrench. I choose to use a torque wrench. But I will take your suggestion of not tightening anything until it's all in place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not an ignorant response. I can't think of a single person that uses a torque wrench to do their exhausts... you just need to relax some.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Searched archived and recent. Installing catback. Need torques specs. (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's not an ignorant response. I can't think of a single person that uses a torque wrench to do their exhausts... you just need to relax some.</TD></TR></TABLE>

AMEN
Relax

Mean people suck!
Old 05-26-2004, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searched archived and recent. Installing catback. Need torques specs. (94civicsally)

Exhaust successfully installed! And yes I used a torque wrench, but that's besides the point.

On to the tech. I feel a tad more higher up, but it feels about the same in the low range. It definately feels a lot smoother through every gear.

The only thing I'm wondering is if I'm supposed to be getting a slight popping sound during shifts or if my timing might be a little off.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only thing I'm wondering is if I'm supposed to be getting a slight popping sound during shifts or if my timing might be a little off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Possibly due to different back pressure, what diameter is it?

BTW: So it's all done and ready for the meet? Got mine done last week, We'll BS about it Saturday lol .
Old 05-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searched archived and recent. Installing catback. Need torques specs. (Uncle Ben)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Uncle Ben &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Possibly due to different back pressure, what diameter is it?

BTW: So it's all done and ready for the meet? Got mine done last week, We'll BS about it Saturday lol .</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's up, Tom?!? It's a 2 1/4 inch. I didn't see the need to go any bigger than that. Hate to break it to you, but I won't be there. Friday I spent all of my money on a house, exhaust, wheels and suspension. I probably won't be able to get down that way until like late July/early August. I wish I could make it though.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

igonorant response.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks assclown I suppose you use a torque wrench to put the cap back on the toothpaste too?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searched archived and recent. Installing catback. Need torques specs. (hatchdrvr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchdrvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks assclown I suppose you use a torque wrench to put the cap back on the toothpaste too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

mmm...maybe. I can't believe people are trying to flame me for doing something the proper way ! That's what's ignorant.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mmm...maybe. I can't believe people are trying to flame me for doing something the proper way ! That's what's ignorant.</TD></TR></TABLE>lol well you did call someones response ignorant, whadya expect?? Anyway about the popping sound, perfectly normal, it's just unspent gas exploding in the exhaust. You just could'nt hear it before because of the super duper muffling abilities of the stocker .................john
Old 05-27-2004, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searched archived and recent. Installing catback. Need torques specs. (h22John)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22John &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol well you did call someones response ignorant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right! It was an ignorant response because I didn't ask who does and who doesn't use a torque wrench. I asked for a torque spec.

hatchdrvr: I still stand by my original statement of your post being ignorant. It's nothing personal. You just didn't help me out with my question at all. I did take your advice on not tightening the bolts until everything was in place. That part of your post wasn't so ignorant.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right! It was an ignorant response because I didn't ask who does and who doesn't use a torque wrench. I asked for a torque spec.

hatchdrvr: I still stand by my original statement of your post being ignorant. It's nothing personal. You just didn't help me out with my question at all. I did take your advice on not tightening the bolts until everything was in place. That part of your post wasn't so ignorant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No personal offense taken. It's just that you could have chosen better words to convey that that was not what you where looking for. I have no way of knowing whether you've ever put a catback on before or not, so I was trying to help you simplify things by telling you that it is not neccessary to use a torque wrench. It's cool if you want to, I just feel that it's unneccessary, and telling me it's ignorant implies that I don't know any better. if it makes you feel better, I'm probably one of the few people who use a torque wrench to put on lug nuts.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchdrvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No personal offense taken. It's just that you could have chosen better words to convey that that was not what you where looking for. I have no way of knowing whether you've ever put a catback on before or not, so I was trying to help you simplify things by telling you that it is not neccessary to use a torque wrench. It's cool if you want to, I just feel that it's unneccessary, and telling me it's ignorant implies that I don't know any better. if it makes you feel better, I'm probably one of the few people who use a torque wrench to put on lug nuts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I haven't ever done any exhaust work until yesterday. I choose to use a torque wrench so I KNOW it's right. I also use a torque wrench for lug nuts. It's a must when you autox. I watched someone lose a wheel at the very first event this year . And no, assclown, I don't use a torque wrench for the toothpaste cap
Old 05-27-2004, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only thing I'm wondering is if I'm supposed to be getting a slight popping sound during shifts or if my timing might be a little off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup the popping was normal for me too. If you're cruising through a parking lot at low speed and give it the right amount of gas, it makes a really cool popping sound. The popping is one thing I do miss from that exhaust compared to my RSR.

Gawd, I sound like a ricer