Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

In search of EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post In search of EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES!

Yo yo,

Lol. Anyway, I'm looking for a book or tutorials or something that can basically explain to me all the various parts of honda engines and their purpose.

I've spent my life in the IT field and know jack **** about auto mechanics.

But I want to know enough to know what I want to do with my f20b. Like people say get some skunk 2 camsThen I can rev up to 9000 rpms. Well why is that? What do the skunk2 cams due to the engine that allows it to do that. Then there is the "dizzy" and the ECU, and getting bigger injectors, and a fuel rail, and all this ****. What is all this **** and wth does it do? Get my drift?

I'm primarily self educated so I don't mind reading alot of resources, I just don't know where to go to find resources on the specific topic of how an F20B or any honda motor operates and how to make it run better.

Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: In search of EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES!

theres books that you can pick up. a haynes manual is good for basic repairs and there is also a book usually right next to the haynes manual that deals with honda engine swaps.

performance building is mostly hearsay and such. depending on where your from you can talk with a local engine builder and learn from him. the other way is to read around the honda forums and pick it up there. ive gained my knowledge from working in shops and building motors for a few years.

every builder has their tricks and each makes different power. just look around and read up.

and on a side note. just changing cams wont let u rev to 9K free and clear. theres computer controled rev limiters and then you gotta think about the valve train. you can do mild street cams and keep the VT stock but i wouldnt wanna rev it out real freakin high cause of the possibility of valve float.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also when building an engine its good to keep in mind what your building it for. drag, street, auto x, all of em?. daily status, turbo, supercharger, nitrous, naturally aspiriated? from me each motor would be built differently.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to gain a lot of knowledge surf the All Motor thread. There is alot of math and theory behind the engine and the aftermarket products for that engine, and in that thread there is plenty to learn. After the motor, learn about suspension there is a lot of smart guys in the auto cross thread as well. This website was made for research, you can learn a lot by just surfing and searching.

Have fun with the readings, and try to disregard mindless ********.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:57 AM
pm4nudes

All you need is HERE at HT!! Just keep reading. They got this and that article. Just read and ask. Best to start out with is learning how a car works then move up from there to engine and suspension and so on. Learning about honda motor sports and engines should be the added bonus.