Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sealed Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealed Sunroof?

Hey Honda-Tech,
A friend of mine came to me with a leaky sun roof, and once I looked at it, I knew it had been messed up by a previous owner. The sun roof was sealed shut with some kind of black sealant, and a wire (like a paper clip) was wrapped around two screws; one on the sun roof, and one on the car preventing it from opening. Appears to be a cheap fix, rendering the sunroof inoperable. The car is a 1997 Honda Civic 4dr LX. I have had some trouble looking for a new seal, hoping that the old "goo" could be scraped off, and a new seal could be installed, leaving the sun roof operational. Anyone know about these sun roofs? Is it possible to use some universal rubber/adhesive? The dealership doesnt sell just the seal, but the whole assembly as one part.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Sealed Sunroof?

The LX didn't come with a moonroof, so it was done somewhere else. Usually all aftermarket sunroof/moonroofs leak.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've seen many aftermarket roofs that don't leak, but the problem is that if they do leak, finding the correct parts can be difficult. Certainly more difficult than going down to your local Honda dealership and ordering the correct parts.

Are there any markings on the moonroof that might help us figure out the brand/model of roof that's installed?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Trial User

I apologize for taking so long to respond, I was under the impression that I had email notification, lol. The motor of the moonroof reads ITT Automotive, then 404 271 2269 12 v 41/95.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:05 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Please be prepared... I'm posting more info than you need because I found various information all over the place and it might be helpful to others in the future that all this information is located in one place.
Originally Posted by crex46
I apologize for taking so long to respond, I was under the impression that I had email notification, lol. The motor of the moonroof reads ITT Automotive, then 404 271 2269 12 v 41/95.
ITT Automotive was acquired by Continental Automotive Systems in the late 1990s. (I think ITT Automotive was around at least until 1998 since I see mention of the Director Operations Brake Systems North America working there up until that year.)

Originally Posted by Wikipedia article on CAS
It comprises two units, Continental Teves and Continental Temic. Continental Temic’s focus is on auto electronics while Continental Teves is known as a developer and manufacturer of hydraulic and electronic brakes and safety systems; stability and chassis control systems and electronic air suspension systems.
A little more snooping around on Team Integra brought me to this link (reposting and rehosting info and pics in case it helps someone else one day):

http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/emeraldmotors.htm
Hollandia Emerald Sunroof Motors

Early production Hollandia sunroofs with ITT & SEUD motors commonly fail. The failure is due to a nylon gear inside the motor wearing out. Our replacement Valeo motors are direct replacement motors for these sunroofs. They are of an improved design and have proven much more reliable than the original motors. Replacement gears are not serviced separately. A complete replacement motor must be purchased.

These sunroof motors either have 2 or 5 wires coming out of the motor itself. Look at your sunroof motor to determine which motor you need.

Hollandia Emerald Non-Soft Touch Sunroof Motor (2 wires)

Hollandia Emerald Soft Touch Sunroof Motor (5 wires)

This leads me to believe that Valeo or CAS might possibly be able to supply you with a replacement seal. It appears the business might still be running under the name ITT Automotive though. So all three of those business names might be an option.

If you make any headway could you post it here? It seems with these systems the most common problem is the motor going out (due to the gear stripping). The seal seems somewhat uncommon to fail.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dang, nice info grabbing there, NOFX!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find
Old 10-16-2022, 05:38 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been trying to find a replacement motor for my car and i can't find any. Sunroof doctors have it as not for sale. I was wondering if you know any other sites or places that might be selling any motors?
The following users liked this post: