Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Seafoamed my car... now it runs like shit man!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoamed my car... now it runs like **** man!

**Update at bottom**

Yesterday I seafoamed my car for the first time... I used seafoam on my wife's car a few months back and it really helper her engine to recover some lost horsepower as well as some throttle response...

So, I slowly fed a little less than half the bottle into my intake manifold via my brake booster... I gave it a little gas each time it seemed like it was going to bog down....

Tons of pure white smoke billowed out of my exhaust! I mean tons!

I then turned the car off, poured the rest of the bottle into the engine and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

I then started the car back up and took it for a "spirited" ride up through the canyon. It was running awesome! I really felt a difference in the power...

I then drove it home and changed the oil and spark plugs, I also inspected the cap, rotor, and plug wires... they all looked fine...

But...

Today I have been driving it around and it sputters at idle... It also skips and hesitates a little below 2k... but once I get above 2k it drives fine...

Should I be worried about this? It never had a problem idling before. It never skipped at idle or any other time.

What is the problem? Fuel filter?

Has anyone else has a similar experience? Help!

**Cliff notes**

Seafomed the car, now it sputters at idle and hesitates below 2k... how do I fix it?

Modified by EJ1 wilcox at 9:37 AM 12/21/2004
Old 12-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Electrician

Do you have a CEL? Did you gap the spark plugs correctly?
Old 12-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have a CEL? Did you gap the spark plugs correctly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got a CEL right after I put the seafoam into the brake booster, then it went away after I turned the car off... and the plugs are gapped correctly...

Old 12-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

Ignition coil. YAY! That sucks. It's a huge annoyance, but it is destined to happen on all of our cars eventually. Invest in an MSD Blaster. It's not that hard to hook up.

EDIT: also, you didn't just do Seafoam before this happened: you tinkered with other ****. The reason I mention it is because it is much more likely that any amount of toying with the distributor caused this problem (classic ignition coil failure symptoms) and that the Seafoam had no negative effect at all.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Electrician

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ignition coil. YAY! That sucks. It's a huge annoyance, but it is destined to happen on all of our cars eventually. Invest in an MSD Blaster. It's not that hard to hook up.

EDIT: also, you didn't just do Seafoam before this happened: you tinkered with other ****. The reason I mention it is because it is much more likely that any amount of toying with the distributor caused this problem (classic ignition coil failure symptoms) and that the Seafoam had no negative effect at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So would a sputtering problem at 3,500-4,500 RPM be this aswell?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Seafoamed my car... now it runs like **** man! (EJ1 wilcox)

If it ran good prior to checking the plugs, then I would go back and make sure wires are making a good connection on the cap and on the plugs. You could also start the car at night and see if there are any blue sparks around the plug wires.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I got a CEL right after I put the seafoam into the brake booster, then it went away after I turned the car off... and the plugs are gapped correctly...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check the code, its probably stored in the ecu.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ignition coil. YAY! That sucks. It's a huge annoyance, but it is destined to happen on all of our cars eventually. Invest in an MSD Blaster. It's not that hard to hook up.

EDIT: also, you didn't just do Seafoam before this happened: you tinkered with other ****. The reason I mention it is because it is much more likely that any amount of toying with the distributor caused this problem (classic ignition coil failure symptoms) and that the Seafoam had no negative effect at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I don't know what else he did to the distributor but he never mentioned anything in this thread, I just find it odd that an ignition coil just fails specially right after seafoam was added.

You might of messed up one of your o2 sensors, sure seafoam says its ok o2 sensors and cats but that's a bunch of b.s

I guess you did not catch any of my replies in some seafoam threads. Next time you want to clean out your engine just use water, its a really good trick and works wonders. Your basically steam cleaning your engine. I would never put seafoam in my oil, it breaks down sludge and where do you think that ends up at ?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90blackcrx)

Okay, I'm in the middle of moving and I already packed up all my tools so I hope it's nothing serious!

I pulled the code and came up with code 17 (vehicle speed sensor)... WTF? I checked it multiple times and 17 is the only code stored in the ECM.

I don't know why I would be getting this code, my speedo works fine... should I just clear the code out and forget about it?

Also, my SRS light was flashing while I was reading the code. Is that normal?

Anyways, I will check my coil on Sunday when I unpack all my tools. I have never had this kind of problem from a coil before though. In my experience the coil doesn't slowly go out, it just stops working one day and the car won't start...

I also checked my plug wires by inspecting them in the dark and found no sparks or anything like that...

Any other thoughts about this or other things I could check?

Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 12-17-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT...
Old 12-18-2004, 04:18 AM

Replace fuel filter, relatively inexpensive. Doesnt solve the prob? Check fuel pump to see if it's good...replace as needed.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Seafoamed my car... now it runs like **** man! (Inconclusive)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Inconclusive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Replace fuel filter, relatively inexpensive. Doesnt solve the prob? Check fuel pump to see if it's good...replace as needed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what I was going to do next! I'm pretty sure that's the problem...
Old 12-19-2004, 06:46 PM

Seafoam doesn't mean your car is going to run like new after you use it. In fact... I know more people with problems after using it then people who have come out straight with it.

Unless you have an engine that has been sitting for ages... I would not use it. It breaks down gunk, particles, what ever you call it and cleans. It also cause your gaskets and seals to leak badly.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKCivicR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKCivicR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seafoam doesn't mean your car is going to run like new after you use it. In fact... I know more people with problems after using it then people who have come out straight with it.

Unless you have an engine that has been sitting for ages... I would not use it. It breaks down gunk, particles, what ever you call it and cleans. It also cause your gaskets and seals to leak badly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should probably research why people have had problems with "gaskets and seals"

Seafoam doesn't cause leaks, it just cleans the "gunk" out. If you had this "gunk" in a spot where you "gaskets and seals" were already bad, removing the "gunk" will cause that spot to leak, this would lead you to think that seafoam caused it.

If seafoam messes up your "gaskets and seals" then you probably needed to replace those "gaskets and seals" anyways..

seafoam when used properly
Old 12-20-2004, 07:19 PM

Default Re: (90civichb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90civichb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You should probably research why people have had problems with "gaskets and seals"

Seafoam doesn't cause leaks, it just cleans the "gunk" out. If you had this "gunk" in a spot where you "gaskets and seals" were already bad, removing the "gunk" will cause that spot to leak, this would lead you to think that seafoam caused it.

If seafoam messes up your "gaskets and seals" then you probably needed to replace those "gaskets and seals" anyways..

seafoam when used properly </TD></TR></TABLE>

Small amount of Gunk is essential in areas around gaskets to help seal it which builds over time. Too much of it can be bad, not enough of it is bad. That's why we change our oil every 3K mi. Seafoam breaks down the gunk & particles causing leaks. It also shrinks the gaskets and deteriorates it.

If your gasket didn't leak before and it did after you put seafoam in it, it's seafoam that cause the leak. Period. Otherwise why would it leak?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually it sounds more like the ignitor as opposed to the coil to me.

does your car start up easy every time, or does it take alot of cranking or a few tries to start it?

if it starts easy, it's probably the ignitor.

my ignitor went out on me recently, and the car would hesitate alot at low rpm's, like just cruising, like it would hesitate/stutter.
and the engine popped alot.

basically it sounds like what you're describing.

the seafoam probly didnt cause it, but might have just made the problem visible for whatever wierd reason.

also imo you should not drive hard on the engine while it's got seafoam in it. it thins your oil, which is why you're supposed to change your oil after using it.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: (Tad)

Well since no one else asked... when you took your distributor off did you mark your timing and if not what is your timing at now . I HIGHLY doubt that it is either a coil or an ignitor you would not get the symptoms you are describing if either of those components failed. And ignore the advice above about buying an msd coil. Stock ignition is more than enough even on most aggressive FI setups.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RedlinedVTEC)

oh, he took his dizzy off???

hahaha, i musta glazed over that,

redo your ignition timing man
Old 12-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RedlinedVTEC)

i agree with Redline...i think if it was either or, like stated before, the car would simply not start up at all or wouldve ran like crap before...gotta be something else.

Check into getting a new filter though since you're probably due anyways.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicboisi)

**Update**

I drove the car from Utah to Portland Oregon on Sunday (12 hour drive) and it ran perfectly the whole time....

It has been running fine since then as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh, he took his dizzy off???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually never took the dizzy off... I just took the cap off and inspected the cap and rotor. I didn't have a reason to remove the whole distributor...

It seems to be running fine now though... no more skipping at idle or low RPMs...

I don't know what the problem was but it works fine now! It's kinda wierd but if the problem fixed itself I'm fine with that...

I talked to a friend of mine who's a mechanic and he said to not worry about the VSS code if it was a "soft code", which it was... so I just cleared it out of my ECM and it hasn't happened again...

Anyways, thanks for all the help and suggestions! It's always nice to have a car that runs well!!

Old 12-21-2004, 09:16 AM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You might of messed up one of your o2 sensors, sure seafoam says its ok o2 sensors and cats but that's a bunch of b.s
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It never ceases to amaze me how some people claim to know more about a product than the actual manufacturer does.....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I guess you did not catch any of my replies in some seafoam threads. Next time you want to clean out your engine just use water, its a really good trick and works wonders. Your basically steam cleaning your engine. I would never put seafoam in my oil, it breaks down sludge and where do you think that ends up at ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just because throwing water into an engine may work doesn't mean it's a good thing to do to it. The problem is that the average person will not know how to do this and screw up their engine. As far as the sludge goes when seafoaming, it ends up in the filter and the rest ends up in the drain pan when changing the oil, where did you think it ended up?

PS-I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to make sure you're aware of what you're telling people here.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:27 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (EKCivicR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKCivicR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Small amount of Gunk is essential in areas around gaskets to help seal it which builds over time. Too much of it can be bad, not enough of it is bad. That's why we change our oil every 3K mi. Seafoam breaks down the gunk & particles causing leaks. It also shrinks the gaskets and deteriorates it.

If your gasket didn't leak before and it did after you put seafoam in it, it's seafoam that cause the leak. Period. Otherwise why would it leak? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If your car needs "gunk" to help seal it's gaskets, then they're faulty. A brand new engine doesn't have any "gunk" in it and manages to seal just fine. "Gunk" will not accumulate in an engine if the oil changes are done at regular intervals. Run seafoam through a relatively new engine and the seals won't leak, hell even most older engines won't leak, only the ones that have faulty seals in them.

If your line of reasoning were true, every gasket would leak in every car that was exposed to seafoam and that just doesn't happen.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It never ceases to amaze me how some people claim to know more about a product than the actual manufacturer does.....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You really think the manufactures are gonna put on the bottle, may damage or harm your catalytic converter or 02 sensor ? Get real, I can show you all the 02 sensors that have been messed up from using seafoam. You can also do a search and see people ruined there 02 sensors from using seafoam.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just because throwing water into an engine may work doesn't mean it's a good thing to do to it. The problem is that the average person will not know how to do this and screw up their engine</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you don't know anything about an engine then no you should not do this, that's why they make seafoam, for people that don't know very little but still want to clean there engine. By the way the only way your gonna screw up your engine with water is if you try using a garden hose. I'll buy you a new engine if you can hydrolock your engine with a spray bottle. It will never happen.

As far as the sludge goes when seafoaming, it ends up in the filter and the rest ends up in the drain pan when changing the oil, where did you think it ended up?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

And what happens when there is enough sludge in your oil pan to clog the oil pick up ? How can that be good for the engine ? And if you think the sludge just ends up in your oil pan and and filter your wrong. What about the sludge that is to big to flow threw the oil galleries and it gets stuck and caused a clog ?

PS-I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to make sure you're aware of what you're telling people here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know what I'm telling people, or else the words would not leave my mouth.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:58 AM
All Motor Mentor

You really think the manufactures are gonna put on the bottle, may damage or harm your catalytic converter or 02 sensor ? Get real, I can show you all the 02 sensors that have been messed up from using seafoam. You can also do a search and see people ruined there 02 sensors from using seafoam.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you really think that a manufacture is going to make a product that damages O2 sensors and harms catalytic converters? That product isn't going to be on the market for very long if this was the case and whatever profits they may have made releasing the product to market would be lost in lawsuits. I'm sure there are people who "feel" that the seafoam was what messed up their O2 sensors when in reality they were probably at the end of their lifespan anyway. If seafoam destroyed 100% of every O2 sensor it came in contact with, I would believe you.

If you don't know anything about an engine then no you should not do this, that's why they make seafoam, for people that don't know very little but still want to clean there engine. By the way the only way your gonna screw up your engine with water is if you try using a garden hose. I'll buy you a new engine if you can hydrolock your engine with a spray bottle. It will never happen.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with what you're saying here for the most part.

And what happens when there is enough sludge in your oil pan to clog the oil pick up ? How can that be good for the engine ? And if you think the sludge just ends up in your oil pan and and filter your wrong. What about the sludge that is to big to flow threw the oil galleries and it gets stuck and caused a clog ?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You make a good point here, I suppose if an engine was actually that poorly maintained that it had that much sludge in it that it would clog the pickup, seafoaming or doing any type of oil flush wouldn't be a good idea. I believe this to be the exception rather than the rule when it comes to most people that use seafoam, especially on this board. Normally the sludge would be minor, more like plaque on teeth, and would easily be dissolved and pass through the oil system without trouble and caught in the filter media.

I know what I'm telling people, or else the words would not leave my mouth.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most people I know believe what they are saying to be true, including myself, but that doesn't mean it is.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

Do you really think that a manufacture is going to make a product that damages O2 sensors and harms catalytic converters? That product isn't going to be on the market for very long if this was the case and whatever profits they may have made releasing the product to market would be lost in lawsuits. I'm sure there are people who "feel" that the seafoam was what messed up their O2 sensors when in reality they were probably at the end of their lifespan anyway. If seafoam destroyed 100% of every O2 sensor it came in contact with, I would believe you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes I really think so, I'm not saying it will ruin every ones 02 or catalytic converter but I have seen a few cars that it has, so that's enough proof for me.

You make a good point here, I suppose if an engine was actually that poorly maintained that it had that much sludge in it that it would clog the pickup, seafoaming or doing any type of oil flush wouldn't be a good idea. I believe this to be the exception rather than the rule when it comes to most people that use seafoam, especially on this board. Normally the sludge would be minor, more like plaque on teeth, and would easily be dissolved and pass through the oil system without trouble and caught in the filter media.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you but think of the people that use seafoam, most of them don't know much about it and most of them take there car some where to get serviced, some of them abuse there car also and don't get there oil changed on times. Basically what I'm trying to say is, most of the people that use seafoam, most of the peoples engines are poorly maintained.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most people I know believe what they are saying to be true, including myself, but that doesn't mean it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have been taught by some of the best, so its not like I'm only one experiencing these types of problems, the people that have taught me have been in this business for over 35 years, and they also seen these problems.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:42 AM
All Motor Mentor

I have been taught by some of the best, so its not like I'm only one experiencing these types of problems, the people that have taught me have been in this business for over 35 years, and they also seen these problems.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I too have learned from some very experienced people, but the most important thing I have learned in life it to keep an open mind about everything. One of the biggest pitfalls some of the older more experienced mechanics fall into is closing their minds to newer technology and products. I'm sure you've seen it where they have a tendency to blame "unknown" problems on technology and things they don't want to understand. In these cases ignorance is bliss, but it does nothing to fix the car or to educate the future generations of car enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: Seafoamed my car... now it runs like shit man!