Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SeaFoam done...emissions passed..

Old 05-09-2007, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sefoam done...emissions passed.. [formerly "Done and Done"]

Hello again,
Everything went fine!

I used just a tad over 1/3 of the can, and put the remaining in the crankcase.
There was thick black smoke for about 15 minutes...and crap was actually coming out of exhaust...I guess since it was sitting for 8 months it was in bad shape.

Anyway.....I filled up the rest of the tank with 94 Octane (the gas in the car was 8 months old..and was about 1/4 filled). I also cleaned the throttle body and did an engine shampoo (there is an oil leak..and I can't figure out where its coming from).

Took it to the shop and got an oil change, changed air filter, and did the emissions test.

IT PASSED!

Now I just need to get the car to pass safety, and were good!

It should pass safety with no problems. The oil leak is not huge, but there is a humming noise/wobbbling noise/whoosing noise coming from the rear passenger side. Sounds like a wheel bearing...but i'm not sure. When I brake (or e-brake while moving slow), the tone of the wobbling noise changes, but is still there. It gets louder has you speed up, and at 70mph, you have to speak loud to be able to hear yourself/others

Modified by stangn99 at 10:13 AM 5/9/2007
Old 05-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Done and Done.. (stangn99)

is this replying about a previous thread? i assume your talking about sea foaming your car to pass inspection? Well that is great that you passed, and its great that you got her all freshened up! I bet your car will pass safety no problem good luck!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Done and Done.. (stangn99)

Huh!?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

next time try telling us what in the world you're talking about. Also.. a title "done and done" doesnt say much.... This is one topic that cannot be searched now..
Old 05-09-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

Sorry guys...I made a mistake when posting.

YES...this was referring to the seafoam / emission thing.

It DID NOT pass safety. As expected, it needs a rear passenger side wheel bearing.

The shop has already swap out rear hub assemblies and the car is saftied now.

it cost $130 for rear hub + labour.

Now...all thats left is the oil leak. Already did an engine shampoo...so I should be able to spot where it is leaking from.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:41 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: Sefoam done...emissions passed.. [formerly "Done and Done"] (stangn99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stangn99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
There was thick black smoke for about 15 minutes...and crap was actually coming out of exhaust...</TD></TR></TABLE>

So how gunked up do you think your catalytic converter is now. I can't imagine that is good for the O2 sensor either. I would remove the cat when doing a sea-foam treatment. Then take the O2 out and dip it in sea-foam for a minute to clean it out as well.

Did you remember to replace your spark plugs?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Sefoam done...emissions passed.. [formerly "Done and Done"] (94eg!)

Thanks for the reply,
I took into consideration that the catalytic converter would be filled with crap after seafoam...no worries.

I just need this car to last me for about a year and 1/2 before I can pick up the new mustang. I'm sure it will last way more than a year since its a honda.

I did forget about the O2 sensor however, and I am glad you mentioned it. It hasn't caused any problems yet and actually runs MUCH MUCH better than before. I did use my scanner to scan for error (checks for non CES errors also)...and nothing came up...so as of now..everything is cool.

About the spark plugs...yes...I did change them also. I used the cheaper "Champion" brand...but again...seems to run just fine with them.

This car has a salvage title and was rebuilt - While it does look like new, runs smooth, and great ride quality....i would rather not put too much $ or time into it..and just continue to save for the new car.

If it does start to act up though, I will check O2 sensor first

Thanks again.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:02 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: Sefoam done...emissions passed.. [formerly "Done and Done"] (stangn99)

I actually had my O2 sensor fail about two years after I sea-foamed the car. I didn't put it together that the two could possibly be related, especially since I had so little smoke coming out the exhaust during the sea-foam. I just chucked the old sensor instead of trying to clean it. A new sensor, however, was VERY cheap (1 wire sensor) and I'm now getting 42+mpg in my 89 Si. I think it worked out in my favor in the long run...

Just keep an eye out...
Old 05-09-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Sefoam done...emissions passed.. [formerly "Done and Done"] (94eg!)

Sounds good man!
I'll make sure to keep an eye out. I'll be doing another major clean up on the car and will look into everything. I don't want to encounter any problems for at least a year

Thanks again!