Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Seafoam on a 250k mile engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:54 PM
White Lotus

Default Seafoam on a 250k mile engine...

I'm going to seafoam my Y8 this week and have a couple of questions:

1) Is it recommended to seafoam an engine with this many miles?

2) Should I put 1/2 ounce into each cylinder and let it sit for 30 mins before the procedure?

3) Do I actually have to drive the car or can I just rev it in neutral?

Old 03-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Seafoam on a 250k mile engine... (White Lotus)

1) Depends if carbon is holding your engine seals together or not.

2) I would just put some in the crankcase, and the rest suck in through brake master cylinder vacuum booster

3) rev it with the trottle rocker while you're putting it in slowly, but once you've got it all in, drive like a bat out of hell for 10 minutes of so. Just cruise at like 35 and 4-5000 rpms.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really really really would not use it on a car with that many miles.
Sludge is probably keeping it from leaking and keeping compression up.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

After all of the horror stories that i have read. I would not use seafoam.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^i wouldnt either. i used it on my 00 prelude with 40xxxmiles and man did it work wonders. but when we used it on my friend's b16a2 w/ 140xxxmiles, it was sputtering and bogging like hell afterwards.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:48 PM
White Lotus

Default Re: Seafoam on a 250k mile engine... (White Lotus)

Damn, looks like I'm not using seafoam then. Well, no use returning it, I'll just put it in my oil and gas. What milage do you guys think should be the max to be able for a seafoam treatment?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Boostedb20EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostedb20EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After all of the horror stories that i have read. I would not use seafoam.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like what?

In all the Honda threads about it I have never seen anyone say anything bad. I personally did it on two of my motors with out problems.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You know its going to have the exact same effect no matter where you put it, right??
If your crankshaft seals are bad and oil is held back by sludge, you will break that by putting seafoam in the crankcase (in with the oil).
Same goes for your valve seals, if you put it through the injectors, via the gas tank.

doesnt matter where you put the stuff...its going to dissolve buildup, no matter where it is

use it in someone elses newer car
Old 03-25-2007, 05:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (GetawayInMoscow)

I seafomed my d15b and it held up fine.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GetawayInMoscow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Like what?

In all the Honda threads about it I have never seen anyone say anything bad. I personally did it on two of my motors with out problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1927165
Old 03-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (del sol1658)

the problem is when you put in in your crank case with that many miles, there is all sorts of sludge in your crankcase... now when you break that apart where does it go?... oil pump, oil filter, pick up screen... and that clogs the hell out of your engine... and what are the lubrication properties of sludge? nothing like that of new engine oil!! so when you break the sludge away from where it has so contently been sitting it now is going through your main and rod bearings and getting splashed against the cylinder walls when the piston goes up... and most of that sludge has small dirt particles in it... i would NOT recommend using it on something that has 250xxx miles on it... unless you rebuild it... totally clean it, then after you put it back together use seafoam right before every oil change...
Old 03-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (JDMKid71)

I seafoam at every oil change. I always notice the engine runs smoother and a very modest *** dyno change.

125k on the clock and takes to seafoam fine, I just did a compression test and a leakdown test to make sure it was safe.

If you've got under 100k or you at least semi-baby your car it should be fine.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:39 AM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

heres what i would do find a vacume on your intake and hold the throttle up to about 3 grand funnel it into the vacume line and watch it smoke a whole bottle wont hurt it its just going to clean the **** out of it and if you want put some in the gas to peace
Old 03-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (rawchrome)

Some people even say you have to have someone to rev it. Not really the case, just listen for it to bog and stop. Don't completely submerge the hose though or it will shut off then and there. It should have enough suction to pull the liquid out itself.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I seafoam at every oil change. I always notice the engine runs smoother and a very modest *** dyno change.

125k on the clock and takes to seafoam fine, I just did a compression test and a leakdown test to make sure it was safe.

If you've got under 100k or you at least semi-baby your car it should be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>
this seems like a pretty good idea if you do it at a low milage engine, i want some updates to see if the engine is still holding up (not to discourage you, but you can't get all the contaminated oil out of the car by just draining the oil).
Old 03-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (B18bEG6ick)

Well this way, I'll know early on when seals start going bad. The engine holds up fine, i drive it every day. What would a picture tell you? I'm not going to take the head off for this thread.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:34 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: (B18bEG6ick)

The only problems I've heard is that all the smoky gunk coming out of the exhaust can clog the O2 making the car bog & run funny (bad O2 readings). There is no denying that tons of **** is flying through the exhaust system when you do this, so I completely believe this is possible.

The same thread showed that taking the O2 out afterward and soaking the tip in seafoam for a few minutes will clean the gunk off and make the car run like normal again. Perhaps it might be best to disconnect the cat as well when doing the initial spray into the manifold.

As for actually getting the stuff into the intake, I found pouring half the can into a empty clear windex bottle made it very easy. Take the brake booster hose and stick it into the bottle. You can easily see that turbulent air from the vacuum causes the seafoam to spray around the bottle and get sucked into the hose without actually submerging it. Get most into the intake this way. Then screw the bottles squirt head on, and spray the rest of the seafoam directly into the throttle body while revving the engine by hand. This helps clean the IAC passages and throttle plate, and also ensures the #3 & 4 cylinders get enough seafoam...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94eg!)

how bout using seafoam on my 133,000k civic d16?

I always baby it and i'm never on the gas, except for getting on the freeway. I've never heard of seafoam, but i'm sure my civic can use a good internal cleaning. what do you guys think?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Oprah's Minge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Oprah’s Minge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how bout using seafoam on my 133,000k civic d16?

I always baby it and i'm never on the gas, except for getting on the freeway. I've never heard of seafoam, but i'm sure my civic can use a good internal cleaning. what do you guys think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you dont drive the **** out of your car and are keeping up on oil changes and tune ups you should be fine. The biggest thing with seafoam is that if you have a motor help up by carbon, once you use seafoam you will start to have leaks. Seafoam isn't bad... people just have a old, tired motor that was help up by carbon. I would seafoam it.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

bottom line, what I would do, is it running well enough for a 250k mile engine? then let it run well enough. If it does seem boggy or restricted, then try the seafoam. The worst that will happen is you'll be out a $2 motor.

You can get a new one for $300-$500
Old 03-26-2007, 10:12 AM
White Lotus

The engine runs fine. I just thought that seafoam is some miracle juice from what I've read. With this many miles, is it safe to pour it in the crank case and gas? Anymore thoughts on if I should go on with this procedure or not?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will ask all of you who put it in your crankcase one question: it is advised to do an oil change right after using seafoam correct??? why, because it will leak past the rings into the crankcase right??? then WHY the hell does it say SAFE to use in the crankcase on the can????

i personally wont use it on any of my cars again.

if it will break down carbon deposits its too strong for a car with any kind of mileage on it.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (schardbody)

Of course it's still safe, you just have to change the oil. Making the oil more viscous allows the mixture of oil/seafoam to reach more places and clean up.

Crankcase and gas tank are the two safest alternatives for seafoam. But the most effective is the brake booster.

If you wont cry for weeks about hurting your poor 250k mile engine, seafoam it. If it exploded, throw a new one on for the $300-500

Old 03-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (White Lotus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The engine runs fine. I just thought that seafoam is some miracle juice from what I've read. With this many miles, is it safe to pour it in the crank case and gas? Anymore thoughts on if I should go on with this procedure or not?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This thread is self-explanatory.

If you think your engine is being held up by sludge and buildup. No
If you think your engine is fine, won't leak after using seafoam. Yes
If you don't care what happens. Yes
If you want to take the chance. Yes
If you don't want to take any chance. No
Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (blaze_125)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blaze_125 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This thread is self-explanatory.

If you think your engine is being held up by sludge and buildup. No
If you think your engine is fine, won't leak after using seafoam. Yes
If you don't care what happens. Yes
If you want to take the chance. Yes
If you don't want to take any chance. No</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well put

Quick Reply: Seafoam on a 250k mile engine...