Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Screwed up EK Rear Upper Control arms mounting holes threads. HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed up EK Rear Upper Control arms mounting holes threads. HELP...

Hey guys my friend and I was working on my car tonight and we somewhat screwed up mounting hold threads on the EK cuz we used an impact. .. what are some of the thread cleaning technique we can fix this.. it is not too bad because we can put the impact on low setting and still managed to get both of the bolt in.. and when we pull them out.. they look not too bad either..

theses are the hold im referring to.. any suggestion would be appreciated.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Screwed up EK Rear Upper Control arms mounting holes threads. HELP... (JLEK)

Old 06-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Screwed up EK Rear Upper Control arms mounting holes threads. HELP... (JLEK)

They still go in-out fine?

What's wrong?

If anything you can buy the appropriate tap and re-tap the holes.

If it's messed up you might have to drill/tap it bigger and get bigger bolts from the hardware store.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Screwed up EK Rear Upper Control arms mounting holes threads. HELP... (ek forever guy)

still go in and out fine but not "smooth" and need an impact.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:14 AM
Ek Forever y0!

If you have to have an impact to get them in and out, you're just crossthreading when you do that.

Sounds like you could just re-tap it with the factory bore and threadpitch and be okay.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sometimes pneumatic tools can cause more harm than good...if you can get them in by hand and get them tight enough that you wont have any problems, then run with it...but if not then yea, you'll have to re-tap the holes and just use bigger bolts..but try to use a hand tool just to be safe and if you have trouble with a hand tool, put a breaker bar or a long pipe or something over the wrench for leverage.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Probot)

You shouldn't need an impact gun for those bolts anyway, the torque specs for those bolts are both ~30-40 ft/lbs
Old 06-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you probably cross threaded them like crazy......
Perhaps the bolts look ok, but have you tried rethreading a different nut onto them? What about the body's weld nuts? Same question.
If neither will accept different hardware...you have a serious problem...esspecially if the weld nuts are destroyed
Old 06-07-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you probably cross threaded them like crazy......
Perhaps the bolts look ok, but have you tried rethreading a different nut onto them? What about the body's weld nuts? Same question.
If neither will accept different hardware...you have a serious problem...esspecially if the weld nuts are destroyed</TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand i have a challenge...

1) i have no experience with repairing cross threading bolts or nuts. what is the worst that can happen?

2) if re-tap with factory bore and threadpitch and getting new upper control arm bolt works well would that be a viable solution?

3) what is the factory bore and threadpitch of those holes. anybody know?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:38 AM

Heh, i hate those bolts...there was a thread a while back about those botls strippin out even taking them out with a ratchet. Happened to me. I finally just powered them in and havent looked back (probably not the best thing to do
Old 06-07-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: (JLEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JLEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i understand i have a challenge...

1) i have no experience with repairing cross threading bolts or nuts. what is the worst that can happen?

2) if re-tap with factory bore and threadpitch and getting new upper control arm bolt works well would that be a viable solution?

3) what is the factory bore and threadpitch of those holes. anybody know?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

not being there myself I can't evaluate the condition of the threads and the subsequent joint they create, but it sounds like you need to helicoil (look it up)

the worst that can happen is the upper control arm can let loose causing the rear wheel to fall over which will make you go out of control , and get in a life threatening accident
Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: (gtlaw1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gtlaw1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not being there myself I can't evaluate the condition of the threads and the subsequent joint they create, but it sounds like you need to helicoil (look it up)

the worst that can happen is the upper control arm can let loose causing the rear wheel to fall over which will make you go out of control , and get in a life threatening accident</TD></TR></TABLE>

im speakin of the worst case senario of what i will have to do to repair the thread hole. im ordering new upper control arm bolts now.. hopefully the thread on the car is okay and we only damaged the bolt's. what is the chances of this?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The worst thing that can happen is the threads are so badly damaged that they rip out under stress...

Since you already obliterated the threads by using an impact to get it in there (wow...not smart) its very unlikely that you can re-form the threads to their original condition. Even if you could, they wouldnt be too strong.

Personally, I would just say the hell with it, replace the bolts and install helicoils - they will hold in that location.
If you dont feel that you can install the coil, any shop can.
You dont have to order the bolts from Honda....Just go to the hardware store and get the same pitch in a GRADE 10.9 bolt. (grade is important)

thread/pitch = M10 x 1.25
Full coil kits are sold at better parts stores. Includes bits, drivers, inserts, and instructions.
If you have ever used a regular hand tap, you can probably install the inserts NP

Lesson:
If it doesnt thread in easily the first time...dont be an idiot and reach for the air tools...
Old 06-07-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

does the "length" of the helicoil matter? they seem kinda short in picture?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:40 AM
MiX
Honda-Tech Member

bump for answer
Old 06-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

leave them in cross threaded.. if they still thread good and hold aright i think you should be ok? no?but yea.. like others said.. drill out the hole and retapp
Old 06-07-2007, 11:14 AM

Just a quick FYI, the matal you are going to drill out has a nut welded to the back of it, that is what to bolt origionaly threads into. Once you break that nut off the back you are fucked. I have no idea how one wold get it welded back on there...th only reason i know there is a nut back there is because i used to pull parts off of a honda chopped in half and happened to nitoce it.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JLEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the "length" of the helicoil matter? they seem kinda short in picture?</TD></TR></TABLE>

replied via pm
But NO
the length of the weldnut is going to the be same (if not shorter) than the length of the helicoil