Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

screwed up cat and/or header

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default screwed up cat and/or header

Ok, just had Midas (never use them again) weld on my new high flow cat. The cat is a carsound universal 94100 series.

Since i've had it installed (2 days ago), my car feels conjested, aka, air is not flowing nearly as good as it should from the exhaust. It sounds like the car is "huffing" air at mid to high RPMs. Pick-up seems to be noticably deminished. The cat itself is 2.5" dia, stuck between a Greddy header and a Apexi WS exhaust, so I know the cat should be able to handle the flow.

Tonight I'm gonna jack up the car and take a look to see if dude put the cat on correctly, his welding job was **** poor (he blistered the metal, that clinches it, I know I can weld, I'm gonna get me a TIG or MIG). Also, I'm gonna see if he cracked my header. he cut the cat off the car (even though it was bolted on), and then welded the used flanges from the old cat on the CarSound one. When he was cutting my old cat off, I was watching the entire exhaust sytem shake like mad, that can't be good for the header.

In my mind, right now, the cat itself is prolly not the culprit. I believe either the header got damaged or dude put the cat on backwards and the "mushroom flange" in not hooked up the the header.

Please let me know what you think, as i've never had a busted header, and this is only my second high-flow cat.

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: screwed up cat and/or header (GothicTuner)

**** midas.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:16 AM

Default Re: screwed up cat and/or header (Sport Injection)

**** midas.
that about sums it up...
Old 03-26-2003, 08:33 AM

Default Re: screwed up cat and/or header (GothicTuner)

Has anyone ever had a problem with CarSound Cats? In particular, the 94100 series? If this is a "conjested" cat, can you point me towards a really reliable, super-high-flow cat, carsound or otherwise?

thanks.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: screwed up cat and/or header (Sport Injection)

dude NO CARSOUNDS cats. There has been alot of posts about carsounds cats ******* up on them, as well as random technologoy.

go to:
http://www.landspeedracing.com

[Modified by greebler, 12:17 PM 3/26/2003]
Old 03-26-2003, 10:27 AM

Default Re: screwed up cat and/or header (greebler)

So if two of the biggest names in aftermarket converts are **** then who is the best and where do you get them from? I noticed your link but those converters generally go for what, $200 to $240? Doesn't that seem alittle high when you could just do alittle research and get one thats designed for your car? The one he is talking about is 2 1/2" and the collector on his header side is no more than 2" and the exhaust side is about the same. Why would you get a 2 1/2" converter forthat application much less have some hack at midas put it on?
Old 03-26-2003, 11:51 AM

Default Re: screwed up cat and/or header (dohcsiguy)

Ok, my first cat was a powercore custom cat (for hybrids) from Landspeedracing. It cost 250.00.

First some history on me and landspeed:
1) I ordered 3 parts from them, all 3 parts were messed up. A) AEM CAI - came wrong color, worked out for the best though, B) ApexiWS exhaust - sent me the hatch exhaust, I have a sedan, C) sent me my powercore custom cat - hadd the wrong flange welded onto it, had to get it swapped out at the shop.

The customer service there sucked and they somehow managed to fucked up my order completely. I will never use them again and incourage others to avoid them as well.

Now back to the cat - that overpriced powercore cat broke within 1 month of me having it installed. It wasn't a simple heat shield problem, a filter busted loose on the inside. Can't fix that, can you?

My plan: buy me a small MIG welder and get me a carsound or other cat, and weld the thing in myself. The carsound is what 80-90 dollars? Anyway, just my 2 cents. If I see real reviews of why carsound sucks, then I'll look elsewhere. I've been talking to a guy at carsound, says I should gotten the next model up, 94200 series, bigger and more flow. That could be the entire problem. Hells, he's prolly right.