Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Screeching noise at high RPMs...

Old 01-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screeching noise at high RPMs...

Got my 93 EJ1 with a Z6 in it, just replaced the water pump, alternator and alternator belt and now whenever I start in 1st and rev higher to accelerate, or downshift from like 5th to 3rd to pass someone, or 5th to 4th, etc I get a weird screeching noise.

I've heard this noise on many cars on the road, just never on one of mine so I never really looked at what causes it. I was thinking it was a belt? It never made this noise before those parts were changed. I want to get some ideas as to what it may be before I go tearing stuff up trying to find out.

If it is a belt, I wonder if it could have anything to do with my weird VTEC engagement too...
Old 01-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Screeching noise at high RPMs...

One of the belts you touched is probably loose.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So based on the one person who cared enough to reply, we've decided it's probably a belt issue? Does anyone else have any ideas?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it maybe sound like a whistling rather then screech? idk, that's about the only sound i can think of that i've heard from "many other cars."

and that whistling noise i believe comes from intakes, not entirely sure though, just trying to give some input.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xnvb
Got my 93 EJ1 with a Z6 in it, just replaced the water pump, alternator and alternator belt and now whenever I start in 1st and rev higher to accelerate, or downshift from like 5th to 3rd to pass someone, or 5th to 4th, etc I get a weird screeching noise.
Did you re-tension your timing belt correctly (this is the biggest one, if you replaced your water pump, you had your timing belt loose, and if you put that on wrong, or didn't tension it you will have a WORLD of problems)? Did you 'bleed' the air out of your coolant system? Did you tension the alternator belt correctly? Did you use a NEW water pump and NEW alternator? (you didn't specify, I'd assume you did) What brand of alternator, and are you sure its the right one etc.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, timing belt was done correctly and tensioned. Coolant was bled too and I'm pretty sure I tensioned the alternator belt properly, but it's the only thing I can think of that might be the problem. Is there the possibility of it getting a bit more loose as it's broken in, warranting a re-tension?

Both the water pump and alternator were brand new along with the belts. The water pump was genuine Honda replacement, the alternator was an AutoZone with lifetime warranty. Checked to make sure it was correct before I installed.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you didn't tighten down the alternator bracket enough, it could easily slide a spec out of place causing belt screech at high RPM, but you should be able to check this by simply popping the hood and giving a tug on the belt.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a/c?
My del sol a/c compressor is screeching anytime I get past 3000rpm
Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By doing the "tugging" test, how firm should the belt be? What should I look for as far as how much it gives when I pull on it?

And I don't have AC in my car.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should be able to rotate/twist the belt 90 degress with force by your fingers. if it's loose, should be able to do it with ease.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like others have said it's most likely a belt problem. Make sure you have them tightened properly. When I do my belts I tighten them down, then grab them with my hand and try to pull them up and down. Depending on the size of the belt and distance between the pulleys you should be able to get an idea of how tight it should be. If the belt has a foot or so gap between the pulleys obviously it won't be as tight as if the gap were 4 or 5 inches. Common sense usually goes a long ways when doing belts.