Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

scratching type sound from clutch upon engage/disengage particularly when cold?

Old 07-04-2002, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default scratching type sound from clutch upon engage/disengage particularly when cold?

anybody? it's starting to get worse..it's like a scratching type sound when the clutch is being engaged or disengaged....it's worse when cold, and when the engine's fully at temp, it's still there, but almost silent. what could this be? clutch still grabs fairly hard and all.....anybody?
Old 07-04-2002, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: scratching type sound from clutch upon engage/disengage particularly when cold? (hot_EF)

ttt
Old 07-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: scratching type sound from clutch upon engage/disengage particularly when cold? (hot_EF)

c'mon guys!
Old 07-04-2002, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like the throw-out bearing is going bad. Does it grind while stopped with the clutch pressed in? Released? In motion? Coasting in gear?
Old 07-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: scratching type sound from clutch upon engage/disengage particularly when cold? (B19CivicHB)

Sounds to me like the throw-out bearing is going bad. Does it grind while stopped with the clutch pressed in? Released? In motion? Coasting in gear?
well it's not a grinding at all....it sounds like it's coming from somewhere in the clutch system, but it will do it without it being in gear. like if i just start the car up, but it's in nuetral, and i push the clutch pedal down i hear like this scratching type sound....it'll do it when i let the pedal up too...and it also does it while in gear. it's worse when the car isn't warmed up yet, but i can still hear when the car is warmed up. i sorta just got used to it, but it's getting progessivily louder and starting to worry me

EDIT: it's like there might be some kind of spring in the pedal/clutch system somewhere that is going bad or is getting noisey or something. What could it be?

[Modified by hot_EF, 7:41 AM 7/5/2002]
Old 07-04-2002, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm... sometimes when one of the clutch hub springs breaks it makes bad noise like that... this doesnt sound that serious though. Im still betting on a bad bearing. It would make sense that as the bearing warms up that it would quiet down a bit. Now as for which bearing.... if it isnt the throw-out or pilot bearing, its beyond me. Contact Rocket on this board. He's the local clutch guru. He should be able to gvie you some insight.

Hope ive helped a little,

-Nick-
Old 07-04-2002, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: scratching type sound from clutch upon engage/disengage particularly when cold? (B19CivicHB)

Hmm... sometimes when one of the clutch hub springs breaks it makes bad noise like that... this doesnt sound that serious though. Im still betting on a bad bearing. It would make sense that as the bearing warms up that it would quiet down a bit. Now as for which bearing.... if it isnt the throw-out or pilot bearing, its beyond me. Contact Rocket on this board. He's the local clutch guru. He should be able to gvie you some insight.

Hope ive helped a little,

-Nick-
i was thinking maybe a bearing as well..but i just wasn't sure/don't know how to be sure. only thing i'm worried about is how (if at all) serious this is as i'm planning an h22 swap so i didn't want to spend any money on my b18b right now. But then again i don't know if i want to drive around risking it. is this something that can just break or will it just slowly wear itself out over time should it be a bearing?
Old 07-04-2002, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In my experience, bearings like the throwout and pilot dont just fail. they will get progressivly louder and more obnoxious and annoying until they finally seize. If the noise isnt nerve grating loud i would imagine you have enough time to get the H22... also, something i just thought of... have you checked the tranny fluid..? Sounds kinda dumb but ive seen it happen. Especially since the engine is still in the car, getting to any of the tranny bearings would be a day+ work. Stick with the engine as it is til you do the swap

-Nick-
Old 07-04-2002, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In my experience, bearings like the throwout and pilot dont just fail. they will get progressivly louder and more obnoxious and annoying until they finally seize. If the noise isnt nerve grating loud i would imagine you have enough time to get the H22... also, something i just thought of... have you checked the tranny fluid..? Sounds kinda dumb but ive seen it happen. Especially since the engine is still in the car, getting to any of the tranny bearings would be a day+ work. Stick with the engine as it is til you do the swap

-Nick-
Cool..thanks for the insight. No, I haven't checked the tranny fluid...just the clutch fluid....I'm hitting a dumb moment, but the two are seperate entities, yes!? LOL. Anyway, thanks for the help. the noise is pretty quiet, but little things just annoy the crap out of me and I get slightly paranoid. I'm sure you know how it is. I want to have my h22 swap up and running before August that's when my friend gets back from boot camp and I wanna surprise him...lol. He should be mighty impressed
Old 07-04-2002, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, the clutch and tranny fluid are COMPLETELY different systems. Clutch fluid is in the little container thingy by the drivers side firewall (you obviously know this if you checked the fluid level).

Tranny fluid is a little more difficult to get to. There should be a screw in the tranny housing that faces the bumper supports. You need to remove that bolt and fill it with tranny fluid (usually witha hose of some sort and i recommend Honda MTF) until fluid pours out. Let it pour out the fill hole until it just stops. Im pretty sure Honda designed this pain-in-the-*** system so that it cant be over-filled as we all know overfilled trannies are bad news. The hole is horizontal not vertical so get creative. It is easier with the passeneger wheel off too. It;s also been a few months since ive done this so someone correct me if i missed or stated something incorrectly.

HTH,

-Nick-

Edit: My buddy has a VX that has a nasty nasty throw out bearing. It grinds like hell whenever the clutch pedal is out. He's been driving that for a few weeks now and still runs fine. You should be good to go until August (assuming you can deal with the noise )

[Modified by B19CivicHB, 3:31 AM 7/5/2002]
Old 07-04-2002, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/t...ransfluid.html

Go there for pics of the tranny fluid buisness