Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Scary steering problem! NEED HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary steering problem! NEED HELP!!!!

Ok so here's my problem and im hoping someone out there can pinpoint what the hell is going on.

I recently bought an EG again and the steering is super sensitive. I recently threw on some dampers and the car is pretty damn low. Im tucking front tires on 15" ITR wheels with 205/50/15 tires.

I believe the front driver axle is busted cause when i turn my wheel at very slow speeds i hear a knocking sound. All my motor mounts are OEM and look to be in good condition. My mechanic recently released air pressure back to normal.

I threw on a generic front and rear stb...waiting for my cusco ones... There are no sway bars, and i am running aftermarket rear LCA's. The front rotors might be warped.

I know things that affect the steering could be the axles, wheel balance, tire pressure...but i just dont see how these things can make my steering so sensitive. The other night i was taking your average offramp at about 60mph and almost lost control of the car. My car does sway a lot and i am planning to get some sway bars, but what else could be the problem?????

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Scary steering problem! NEED HELP!!!! (JDM.Jay)

someone's gotta know something
Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump steer???
Old 02-26-2007, 10:30 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Did you get an alignment? This will tell you if something is seriously wrong or not.

PS: Fix the axle if you know its bad...
Old 02-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Scary steering problem! NEED HELP!!!! (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you get an alignment? This will tell you if something is seriously wrong or not.

PS: Fix the axle if you know its bad...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah im planning to do so this week, hopefully itll keep my car from nearly spinning out...any other suggestions?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:19 AM
#1 Super Guy

You can also try jacking the car up & shaking each tire up-down & left-right to check for play in the suspension. If you hear any noises or feel any clunking around, have a friend wiggle the tire while you check around underneath...
Old 02-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Scary steering problem! NEED HELP!!!! (94eg!)

kk ill do that tonight and give you feedback once its done....thanks for the help man
Old 02-26-2007, 11:29 AM

regarding the knocking sound while turning, its most likely that its a torn CV boot... so usually you can just get a new CV boot and fill that bad girl with the provided lube and throw it back on

however i think if you've left it like that for a long time its possible that the axle points at the CV boot might be too dry and become less stable or something and that you might need to replace the whole axle, dunno depends on the situation..

you from LA right (city of angels your thing says)?

ive got a good shop up in pasadena that im sure could get you properly setup.. i definitely agree with needing an alignment... but if you're tucking really bad have you ever thought of a camber kit, or even some aftermarket upper control arms which are both for super lowered cars
Old 02-26-2007, 11:53 AM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: (styol)

If the CV joint is making any noise, then it's already gone bad. Re-greasing it and slapping on a new boot won't fix anything...
Old 02-26-2007, 11:56 AM

you should also check if ur axles nut is tightly on. mine was loose and when i was driving strait, it would swerve into different lanes. also replace your axles and get a alignment
Old 02-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by styol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">regarding the knocking sound while turning, its most likely that its a torn CV boot... so usually you can just get a new CV boot and fill that bad girl with the provided lube and throw it back on

however i think if you've left it like that for a long time its possible that the axle points at the CV boot might be too dry and become less stable or something and that you might need to replace the whole axle, dunno depends on the situation..

you from LA right (city of angels your thing says)?

ive got a good shop up in pasadena that im sure could get you properly setup.. i definitely agree with needing an alignment... but if you're tucking really bad have you ever thought of a camber kit, or even some aftermarket upper control arms which are both for super lowered cars</TD></TR></TABLE>

well im planning to raise my car up tonight, and i will be replacing the complete axles both left and right...after that ill be getting an alignment...hopefully that goes well, i hate having to spend money where its not needed...although i know new axles are very much needed
Old 02-26-2007, 12:16 PM

yeah wouldnt want one of dem ***** to snap on the freeway (not that ive ever particularly heard of it, but thats the reality you face when driving with blown axles)
Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by styol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah wouldnt want one of dem ***** to snap on the freeway (not that ive ever particularly heard of it, but thats the reality you face when driving with blown axles)</TD></TR></TABLE>

...umm thanks....not that im not FRIGHTENED enough when i start losing control of the car...lol
Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM.Jay)

did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having the same problem with my Integras steering.. Its reaaaalllllyyy sensative especially on turnes and curves. my driver side axle boot just slit open about 3 days ago now but the steering has been REALLY sensative for a while now. I thought maybe it was my steering wheel being extended cuz of the detachable steering hub but I hear that should have nothing to do with the sensativity in my cars driving.