Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Scammer Threads

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scammer Threads

Me and Bauley have been talking it over, and are concerned by the number of scammer threads that seem to pop up in this forum. Right now, there are no less than 4 on the first page.

I don't want the members of this forum to feel like they are being ignored. I know how it feels to be scammed out of money. I know when you are scammed (or you even think you are) that you get upset and want to vent at the very least. I am just concerned that this forum is turning into a "EG+ technical forum & Scammer story forum".

We want the forum members input before we make a decision one way or the other.

Thanks guys
-Ricey, EG+ moderator
Old 11-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

though we currently have a MASSIVE thread on one, its not actually EG+ related and I think it should stay in the classifieds.
If someone wants to know about a particular person, they can search for their name and see what comes up.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:19 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

How about an entire forum just for people who have been scammed?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (SRCivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about an entire forum just for people who have been scammed? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not happening.

Yes or no.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

Nothing against the scammer threads themselves- But, true, they don't belong in a technical forum. I wouldn't mind if the current "BIG" one was moved out of the EG+ tech forum.

But then again- What about the people who only look at the EG forum? They won't hear about known-scammers which are only being mentioned in the Classifieds or GDD forums. *shrug*

Maybe you can allow someone to just *mention* it in the EG forum if they want, then lock the post, but the creator should post a link to an actual discussion thread of the specific topic which resides in the Classifieds or GDD where people will actually be allowed to post replies, etc.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (syntax_error)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by syntax_error &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But then again- What about the people who only look at the EG forum? They won't hear about known-scammers which are only being mentioned in the Classifieds or GDD forums.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly my point...
Old 11-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (syntax_error)

syntax, I understand your concern. However, double posting is frowned upon. If we start to allow people to post links to other threads, then people would argue that they needed to post a link to their classifieds threads in here so that they would get more traffic.

If somebody on here plans to buy from another member, it's always best to check them out first. Unless they are a person I've spoken with for years on a regular basis on here, they don't even get considered without some form of a vouch thread or something.

People panic if they don't get their stuff within a couple of days. There are rare cases where people just don't get their items. I tried to sell a guy in Germany a FMU. Sold it to him for 60 dollars I think. Shipped it to Germany once. He didn't pick it up, so it got sent back. Tried to contact him. After he got back in contact with me, I resent it. Got sent back another time. Havent heard from him since. If he'd ever contact me agian, I'd try to resend it, but I feel that I've gone out of my way to get the stuff to him.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:37 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

how bout before you buy something big from someone you take the time and SEARCH for info about them? isnt that just easy enough?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Redline96LX)

I have to agree with Syntax, true they dont belong here but also alot of people dont leave this forum and wouldnt know if they went to the Classifieds to buy something if the person was a scammer.

I think everyone that is a scammer should be with a title of scammer, i know that some people have been marked like that but more need to be marked. And yes i know theres to many to keep tabs on but its just a thought.

But sadly my final answer has to be no. Keep it out of the EG forum. Just ask around members that you talk to on a normal basis and see if they know the person your about to do buisness with.

Half the time its common sense.

Perfect Example:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how bout before you buy something big from someone you take the time and SEARCH for info about them? isnt that just easy enough?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This man speaks the turth
Old 11-22-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

I also agree, but the fact still remains. This forum is starting to get bogged down in the past couple days with things on scammers. An entire forum dedicated to this type of thing I agree would be beneficial to buyers, however, we can't just throw up new forums (due to costs mainly i'd guess).
Old 11-22-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have to agree with Syntax, true they dont belong here but also alot of people dont leave this forum and wouldnt know if they went to the Classifieds to buy something if the person was a scammer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

there is a thread at the top of the calssifieds forum only called "The Giant Honda Tech List of Scammers" with 549 posts. they should put this list in all of the classified forums and only there cause people need to read the rules. i didnt til i got flamed but learned from it. i say out of here
Old 11-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Scammer Threads (Ricey McRicerton)

maybe just create a [FAQ] Scammer thread and keep it up top?

i agree with both Bauley/Ricey and Syntax. scammer threads shouldn't be made left and right, but also like Syntax says, i'm one of those people that don't really venture outside of the EG+ Civic / Del Sol forum. well, whatever happens, happens. its up to you Mods to do whichever.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:53 PM

Default Re: (ek9hatch0WN3R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9hatch0WN3R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also agree, but the fact still remains. This forum is starting to get bogged down in the past couple days with things on scammers. An entire forum dedicated to this type of thing I agree would be beneficial to buyers, however, we can't just throw up new forums (due to costs mainly i'd guess).</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well I dont think anyone would even read them??? But I like what you did to one guys user title and put "SCAMMER" thats what needs to be done so if he tries to sell something then right away he iis assed out.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The scammer threads are to keep other people from getting scammed, and how are you gonna get scammed if you don't leave the EG forum and go into classifieds to buy something. They belong in classifieds because that's where people get scammed.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: (civictildeath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

there is a thread at the top of the calssifieds forum only called "The Giant Honda Tech List of Scammers" with 549 posts. they should put this list in all of the classified forums and only there cause people need to read the rules. i didnt til i got flamed but learned from it. i say out of here</TD></TR></TABLE>
Noone before they buy something is going to look at 500+ pages to see if the person is a scammer? There has to be another way. Can you add a search of a users name or something? I see you can do it with users that started a topic but not their actual posts or posts with their names in it
Old 11-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cappa)

yes, you can search their name for just the posts they made "Post Bodies (Return a post listing, slower)". its right under "Topic Titles (Return a thread listing, faster)".
Old 11-22-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jL iLLuZiOnz 9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, you can search their name for just the posts they made "Post Bodies (Return a post listing, slower)".</TD></TR></TABLE>
O ok I was unaware of that
Old 11-22-2004, 08:31 PM

i say lose them... i know that i would be pissed about being scammed, but just leave it in the classifieds
Old 11-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Risky Business

Default Re: (blaster834)

24-3

Unless there is a drastic reversal of vote overnight, tomorrow i'm moving all of the scammer threads to classifieds.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep them out. and in the classifieds. and if its sound too good walk away.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Scammer Threads (cxSHOE)

Actually I would say leave it because if someone doesnt want to read it then just dont click on it. Also what about all the threads where my car got stolen its the same thing, either way your fucked so are you going to remove all of them?
Old 11-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Risky Business

Default Re: Scammer Threads (cappa)

Stolen car threads are a little different.

Losing $100 over the internet to some thug kid

VS.

Losing your most prized posession that you've put thousands of dollars and a priceless amount of labor into
Old 11-22-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Scammer Threads (BauleyCivic)

gotta agree on that cause this forum is faster and more people so you have a better chance of it being spotted
Old 11-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Scammer Threads (civictildeath)

keep them out and if people are lookin to buy stuff in classifieds they will see scammer threads and hopefully wont do any business with them cuz what good is it in the technical forum
Old 11-22-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Scammer Threads (civictildeath)

completely agree with getting rid of these type of threads. even though i too have been scammed i think it clutters the forum and takes away from the point of a technical based eg forum. i was thinking of maybe a FAQ or sticky just as a compromise.

i was actually going to suggest this the other day when bauley was complaining about all the reported threads, but i didn't really think it was my place to tell people what they can and can not post. but hey, since you brought it up...

Quick Reply: Scammer Threads