Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Satellite Radio- Where to mount? And how is sound quality with the FM transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Radio- Where to mount? And how is sound quality with the FM transmitter?

I am thinking of getting satellite radio in my 1996 Civic, and I have a few questions:

1. How is the sound quality when using the FM transmitter? I ask because my deck does not have an auxiliary input at the front or back to wire it in.

2. How does it get power? Can I charge it periodically from the cigarette lighter like a GPS, or do I have to permanently hard-wire it in like a deck?

3. Is there a good mounting spot for 1996 Civics? I was thinking maybe somehow utilizing the compartment beside my deck as a mounting point?

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Satellite Radio- Where to mount? And how is sound quality with the FM transmitter

the sound quality with the fm mod(not transmitter) is excellent. it will be just like the strongest fm station you can recieve.

if it is a portable(walk around with) unit it will have an internal battery. most do not. it will need to be plugged into the lighter outlet for power or it can be hardwired.

you can mount it wherever you like. and if your gonna pull the deck to put in the mod you may as well hardwire it for power.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Satellite Radio- Where to mount? And how is sound quality with the FM transmitter

If you have an aftermarket stereo that's 'sat ready', then get the satellite radio that will plug in directly to the back of your stereo. This way has asweome sound, digital quality. It's especially good if you have an amplified system.

But if you have an OEM stock stereo, then FM modulation is the only route you can take. The FM quality in OK if you have a stock sound system, but it's a bit of a hassle if you have to keep changing the broadcast station to pick up the cleanest signal.

The advantage to most FM modulated satellite radios is that they are usually mobile units, so they can be used in you car, home, some even on your hip w/ headphones.