Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Saloon EG b16 to hatch EG, easiest swop ever??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saloon EG b16 to hatch EG, easiest swop ever??

i have an EG3 hatch with a d13 motor, i've found an EG saloon with a 1600 vtec motor in a junkyard (didnt see it yet)
am i right in thinking that all the parts for the swop will be in this car, and its just a matter of unbolting everything and putting it together again?
i know that the bonnet/hood is different on the saloon and hatch but is that the only difference?
im aware, from reading the stickys here, that i'll have to add some wiring to my car but they're both japanese imports and they're both '95 cars
any help cheers
Old 10-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Saloon EG b16 to hatch EG, easiest swop ever?? (kneeslide)

the parts you need are the saloon. pull everything including the computer and all the wiring. the engine harness wiring, the cabin wiring, the shift linkage. everything you can. as long as you ahve all aprts necessary, you will have a relatively easy swap. dont forget the ecu though. thats very important
Old 10-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Saloon EG b16 to hatch EG, easiest swop ever?? (davefromPA)

thanks dave, i was thinking the engine bay might be different and use different mounts etc but looks like im ok there so. jeez so i hope the yard can give me all that at a good price cos i cud just buy a vtec hatch for 1000 euro more than the value of my hatch and save the work! i suppose il want the axles too, and i'd like the brakes, and maybe the shocks are better than mine!! i'll see what the mileage is like on the donor and have a chat with the yard owner next week
cheers for the help
Old 10-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Saloon EG b16 to hatch EG, easiest swop ever?? (davefromPA)

Oops!! looks like my expectations were a bit high, all i saw at the junkyard was this tatty pile of **** on the ground out in the rain
no wiring, no tranny, no ECU, no idea what mileage is on it

i got outta there pretty fast!
i think a D16/B16 with tranny and wiring loom is gonna be like gold dust here and im hardly gonna get it for reasonable enough money to make it worthwhile?
not trying to be smart but why would people do these swops instead of buying a v-tec hatch???
Old 10-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like it had maybe 58k on it by the pics, and thats a d16z6 which is not from japan. but either way damn that motor is toast!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Saloon EG b16 to hatch EG, easiest swop ever?? (Spool This)

lol! ya i was thinkin it was hardly worth lookin at but its nice to be re-assured that it really is toast hehe! i was thinkin 'is there even sparkplugs in there?'
Old 10-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

with the coolant lines open who knows how much rust is in that engine internally!!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Is your car carburated?

If so you'd need the fuel tank, pump, lines, complete body/chassis harness, engine/tranny, etc. etc.

I'd just sell that car and buy a fuel injected one to start with if yours is carb'd.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Saloon EG b16 to hatch EG, easiest swop ever?? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is your car carburated?

If so you'd need the fuel tank, pump, lines, complete body/chassis harness, engine/tranny, etc. etc.

I'd just sell that car and buy a fuel injected one to start with if yours is carb'd.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This guy is always helpful!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kneeslide &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not trying to be smart but why would people do these swops instead of buying a v-tec hatch???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because in North America at least the only hatchbacks that came with a vtec engine were the Si hatchbacks, which are next to impossible to find and overpriced when you do. On top of that most of them are high mileage now anyway, besides we only ever got D16Z6s that make 125hp in 5th gen hatches. Its usually a better idea to buy a good CX/DX/VX shell and swap a B or H series into it. The only thing is you're in Europe, from what i understand some of the hatches are carburated, instead of fuel injected.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Saloon EG b16 to hatch EG, easiest swop ever?? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is your car carburated?

I'd just sell that car and buy a fuel injected one to start with if yours is carb'd.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah its carb'd OMG!! im glad someone told me this before i got in any deeper, i kinda heard about the wiring and that was pretty unsettling, but the tank and pump too jeez!! it wounld'nt be worth my while. my shell is good and i like the car but if i sell it and throw in 1000 euro my friend can get me something hot from Japan, probably something much better than my own.
thanks for this help/advice!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because in North America at least the only hatchbacks that came with a vtec engine were the Si hatchbacks, which are next to impossible to find and overpriced when you do. On top of that most of them are high mileage now anyway, besides we only ever got D16Z6s that make 125hp in 5th gen hatches. Its usually a better idea to buy a good CX/DX/VX shell and swap a B or H series into it. The only thing is you're in Europe, from what i understand some of the hatches are carburated, instead of fuel injected.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ah fair enough, me and a friend were trying to work it out and we thought that if you had a lot of nice mod's on a 1.3 or 1.5 it would make sense to upgrade the motor
we had a burst of JDM vtec's coming in here all the years, i suppose the fact that we have RHD cars is a bonus for us and not so good for people in America

So: For Sale (IRL) '95 1.3L SOHC 16V single carb Civic hatch

Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You may only have a 1.3L....but that shell is immaculate. It's a shame it's carburated.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (andoxviii)

stop, dont make me !!