Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Safety regarding removable steering wheels aka "quick release"

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety regarding removable steering wheels aka "quick release"

Ok so I'd like to hear your opinions on the safety of daily driving a car equipped with a removable steering wheel. My main concern is smashing my face into one of these. In weighing the pros and cons, I think I'd much rather lose 15-20k in having my car stolen than risk possibly dying because I didn't have an airbag and my head was crushed like a melon smashing into my Momo wheel. Keep in mind the 96-00 Civic Hatchback is not the safest vehicle so I'd like to retain as many safety features as possible. I've already been rearended from a stop at ~45mph by a 96 Bonneville which totaled my last hatch...something I do not want to experience without airbags.

Discuss.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like you answered your own question.

Hondas aren't the safest cars in the world, so why get rid of your airbag? Keep it and simply think of some other ways to make your car difficult to steal.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Danronian)

Since the airbag is removed and theres no detachable wheel that allows you to keep it (that i know of), its a safe bet that it wont feel good if you get into a serious crash. If it does worry you that much may i suggest keeping your stock wheel and going with another security feature like alarm, kill switches, remove the ecu, etc. Detachable steering wheels are good but at what cost (like your asking).
Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

. unless your steering wheel is high up, what are the odds of your head hitting it before your chest?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Luserkid)

my buddy takes his off while driving down the highway.. thats what the seatbelt is for.. im sorry i hate to say this i really do.. but everything happens for a reason
Old 10-05-2007, 07:48 AM

What is the best to go with when your talkin removable steering wheels
Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Scotty Sway)

momo quick release with hub adapter steering wheel is up to you.. of course his steering wheel is full mohagany worth more then the kit
Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm91CrxSi)

shouldn't be using that type of steering wheel without full racing harnesses
Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm91CrxSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm91CrxSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my buddy takes his off while driving down the highway..</TD></TR></TABLE>

This has got to be the dumbest thing I have yet to hear on this site. I'd bet all my belongings your buddy will win the Darwin award one day.

Modified by o2flow.net at 12:02 PM 10/5/2007
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (o2flow.net)

There are two things safe about Civics:

-Seatbelts

-Airbags

Our cars are spot welded together, way on average 2100 lbs, and have bumpers that are usually low enough to slip underneath most modern vehicles', rendering their crash resistance virtually useless. Why cut your car's safety in half by taking out the airbag if you're not tracking it? It's a racing steering wheel.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

if you do decide to get a quick release.. i had a bad experience with the momo hub.. it got stuck to my steering spline.. it should come out with a hard tap but that thing took a gear puller to remove.. and as for safety and all that the quick release should be used with a properly mounted full race harness
Old 10-05-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Safety regarding removable steering wheels aka "quick release" (o2flow.net)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by o2flow.net &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so I'd like to hear your opinions on the safety of daily driving a car equipped with a removable steering wheel. My main concern is smashing my face into one of these. In weighing the pros and cons, I think I'd much rather lose 15-20k in having my car stolen than risk possibly dying because I didn't have an airbag and my head was crushed like a melon smashing into my Momo wheel. Keep in mind the 96-00 Civic Hatchback is not the safest vehicle so I'd like to retain as many safety features as possible. I've already been rearended from a stop at ~45mph by a 96 Bonneville which totaled my last hatch...something I do not want to experience without airbags.

Discuss.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how the f does your head hit the steering wheel if you're wearing your seat belt? you must have a LONG neck!

btw, i have a quick release on my daily driver. never had any problems... then again, never had any accidents either. personally, i don't use the quick release on a daily basis (to avoid theft) because i don't live in an area where cars are often stolen. when i make trips to the city, i will usually pop off the wheel.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Safety regarding removable steering wheels aka "quick release" (pgpunkguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pgpunkguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how the f does your head hit the steering wheel if you're wearing your seat belt? you must have a LONG neck!

btw, i have a quick release on my daily driver. never had any problems... then again, never had any accidents either. personally, i don't use the quick release on a daily basis (to avoid theft) because i don't live in an area where cars are often stolen. when i make trips to the city, i will usually pop off the wheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I can see your point, as I've had no accidents as well. As a personal choice for myself, I've just decided to keep the stock, ugly wheel just to hang onto the supplemental restraint system just in case the worst should happen though. I just don't have the guts to increase my security and looks by sacrificing my safety on a daily basis. All up to personal choice I guess.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:57 AM

if its a track only car. DO IT. If it is your DD IMO I wouldn't do it. It is all for the look. What looks cooler, the stock steering wheel, or you in a neck spline with screws in your forhead from where you ahd some bad whiplash and broke a vertibre. Its up to you. Im all stock, besides, eichbach springs and 16 inch wheels
Old 10-05-2007, 06:02 PM

I dont see a problem with it being used on the street....but if your gonna do it i would seriously suggest investing in a 4 point and racing seat, somethin to keep ur *** planted istead of munching on the steering wheel with the back of ur throat in the instance of a wreck.