Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Safety ideas for civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety ideas for civic?

so its a broad question. but what would you do to increase saftey to your civic?
bracing?
brakes?
roll cage with harness?

im currently using 5 lug for better braking and a 4 point roll cage with a harness in my 92 civic hatch

what things have you done to increase saftey in your ride?

i started thinking more about this after i had just lost my best friend to a car accident. he had a 91 hatch
Old 07-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Safety ideas for civic?

Consider suspension-type upgrades. Strut bars, sway bars, lowering it properly.
Brembo blanks and hawk pads for brakes. Or do an upgrade and get big brakes. There's write-ups on putting like S2K rotors on our cars. Or you could do disc brakes all the way around too.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:20 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a street car? A roll cage is a terrible idea. These cars are death traps when compared to newer cars.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by doood
For a street car? A roll cage is a terrible idea. These cars are death traps when compared to newer cars.
BINGO!!! Not only the fact that cage will do noithing if you get hit head on, t boned, or rear ended. it could actually cuase injurys itself when your head slams into the bars.

These cars ARE death traps when compared to anything newer. Unfortunetly, I know this first hand. I lost 2 friend is HS, and 2 since then, in these cars. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you pay the price.

Brakes will help, but ONLY if your tires are up to the task. Your brakes are only as good as your tires. 96-00 actually got a brace under the rear seat, that the 92-95 does not have.

The best ways to stay safe in these car? Be a safe,cautious driver, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. There isn't much that is going to help you when a dummy hits you driving a 2 ton truck.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Be a safe,cautious driver, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings.
+1.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Advanced driving schools. They're well worth it. You can have everyone in the world tell you how to handle, for example, hydroplaning, but until you've actually done it, felt it, and know how to react, you're lucky if you get it right. These advanced driving schools let you hydroplane, slip, slide, and lose control in a controlled, safe environment, so that when the time comes, you'll actually know what to do.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't install a steering wheel without an airbag just because it looks cool (like those removable wheels), or a passenger airbag delete tray, ... again just because it looks cool. I think those are stupid modifications if they're in daily drivers.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

easy...get a for sale sign
and buy a volvo.

and sorry about your friend...but a 91 hatch is about as safe as a motorcycle.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a bubble. i hit a deer going 35 and the front end crumbled like a sprite can... theses cars were designed for cheap economical purposes.. you get hit by anything bigger than a bird and your pretty much screwed. you could buy a push bar.. lol
Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by type_r_ek
a bubble. i hit a deer going 35 and the front end crumbled like a sprite can... theses cars were designed for cheap economical purposes.. you get hit by anything bigger than a bird and your pretty much screwed. you could buy a push bar.. lol
the front end would crumble faster.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
the front end would crumble faster.
naw.. put some steel spikes on it.. lol sorry i had to go there
on my truck my push bar is the best mod EVER i pushed a tree over with it and didnt even scratch the paint lol,however a honda and a truck is apples to oranges
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My dad hit a Moose in his 1995 Mercedes 600SL and they buffed the chip out with clay bar.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is what my car looked like after ROLLING into the back of my brother's SUV

entire front end from fenders to core support were ****ed. just a small scratch and crack on his bumper.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mayfly
im currently using 5 lug for better braking
Since when does adding an extra stud and lugnut make braking better? Brake pads make braking better, larger rotors are mostly for heat dissipation which I doubt you need.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by CO671
Don't install a steering wheel without an airbag just because it looks cool (like those removable wheels), or a passenger airbag delete tray, ... again just because it looks cool. I think those are stupid modifications if they're in daily drivers.
You should do some more research into the old, first gen airbags that are in our Civics, especially the 92-95 body. Statistically, those bags are just as likely to save your life as they are to kill you. Seriously, the seat belt does most of the life saving in an accident. If the air bag becomes necessary (I don't mean if it deploys, I mean if the accident was hard enough for it to actually be "needed") you've got a 50/50 chance of being killed by the air bag.

If you have a 96-00 chassis, one of the greatest air bag changes you can make is swapping out for an AP1 or first gen AP2 steering wheel. Second generation air bags, much safer for your body, neck, and face, and a direct bolt-in.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Master Detailer

I rear ended a jeep, HARD. ~35-40 and I went under the ****er. My bags didn't deploy and I am glad.

My cousin wrecked her 99, the bags deployed and burned the **** out of her arms. she'll have those for the rest of her life.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

A friend of mine was on his way home from the track. Full caged and reinforced 93 hatch. He always removed his racing wheel and installed the OEM wheel after every event before driving home. Got pushed into the median by an 18 wheeler at 70mph. Car rolled 4 times, landed on the roof. Car was fully intact - after everything was said and done, the tow driver actually flipped the car back over and drove it onto the truck.

Official report from the ER and corroner said the air bag killed him. Snapped his neck, both arms, left shoulder, jaw, right eye socket, and nose. All damage caused by the air bag, not the roll. If he had left his racing wheel in, he would probably still be alive. **** first gen air bags.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Master Detailer

**** man, I hate hearing those storys.

Unfortunetly, I know exactly how it feels to lose friends. I almost sold my car becuase of it.

This thread poped up during a sore spot in my life. Thursday will mark 8 years ago that my best friend was killed in a roll over. 96 hatch
Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
You should do some more research into the old, first gen airbags that are in our Civics, especially the 92-95 body. Statistically, those bags are just as likely to save your life as they are to kill you. Seriously, the seat belt does most of the life saving in an accident. If the air bag becomes necessary (I don't mean if it deploys, I mean if the accident was hard enough for it to actually be "needed") you've got a 50/50 chance of being killed by the air bag.

If you have a 96-00 chassis, one of the greatest air bag changes you can make is swapping out for an AP1 or first gen AP2 steering wheel. Second generation air bags, much safer for your body, neck, and face, and a direct bolt-in.
^ Ap1 steering wheel, I should've mentioned that. Heard it was a good and easy swap.
Thanks for the extra info, I think I needed it.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

**** man, I hate hearing those storys.

Unfortunetly, I know exactly how it feels to lose friends. I almost sold my car becuase of it.

This thread poped up during a sore spot in my life. Thursday will mark 8 years ago that my best friend was killed in a roll over. 96 hatch
It sucks, but it's the truth of it. Too many people in this world, especially us younger folk, think they're immortal, or think it won't happen to them. It can happen to anyone, any time. That's why I tell people that the best thing they can do is take advanced driving courses. When that time comes, you need to know how to react. Having people tell you to take your foot off the gas, or slowly brake, or check your mirrors only goes so far - you need to actually DO it so your body learns how it feels.

I'm sorry about your friend. I've been there, I know how it can be.

Originally Posted by CO671
^ Ap1 steering wheel, I should've mentioned that. Heard it was a good and easy swap.
Thanks for the extra info, I think I needed it.
It's a great swap. Safer, better performing (smaller wheel = faster turn-ins), and IMO better looking. It's easy as hell for a 6th gen. It's also doable for a 5th gen, it just takes a little more work.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Master Detailer

AP1/RSX aren't a bolt on, per say, but it's a simple swap. The air bag is a dual stage, where the civic is not.

Easy to do, though.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

AP1/RSX aren't a bolt on, per say, but it's a simple swap. The air bag is a dual stage, where the civic is not.

Easy to do, though.
The AP1, and first gen AP2 air bags are not dual stage, and are a direct bolt-in. You're thinking about the second gen AP2 wheel, which does have a dual stage air bag. Also, the cruise control is not a direct bolt in, but is fairly easy to depin and repin to make it work.

I believe the cut-off for the S2000 single stage air bag was 2005.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Master Detailer

It sucks, but it's the truth of it. Too many people in this world, especially us younger folk, think they're immortal, or think it won't happen to them. It can happen to anyone, any time. That's why I tell people that the best thing they can do is take advanced driving courses. When that time comes, you need to know how to react. Having people tell you to take your foot off the gas, or slowly brake, or check your mirrors only goes so far - you need to actually DO it so your body learns how it feels.

I'm sorry about your friend. I've been there, I know how it can be..
Exactly. Sadly, everything you said is true. I always felt it would never happen to me, which it hasn't, but instead to 4 of my close friends. Getting "kids" to understand this, can definetly save lifes. That's why I flame/bash the crap out of kids that talk about street racing.

I've been there, and I've done it. I know how fun it can, but I also know first hand how dangerous it can be. the day I figured it out, was the day my best friend died in front of me.
Nothing can prepare you for that.

You can, and will die.

Advance driving course is a great idea, for me, it was find an empty parking lot and play around. It can be fun, but it's also teach you control without putting anyone in danger.

That is definelty true with snow. Go find a parking lot and practice. hit the brakes, jerk the wheel, pull the E brake, make the car slide and practice getting it straight. Next time it snows, my friend's little sister is getting lessons.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Master Detailer

The AP1, and first gen AP2 air bags are not dual stage, and are a direct bolt-in. You're thinking about the second gen AP2 wheel, which does have a dual stage air bag. Also, the cruise control is not a direct bolt in, but is fairly easy to depin and repin to make it work.

I believe the cut-off for the S2000 single stage air bag was 2005.
Well, that is something I didn't know. I stand corrected.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Well, that is something I didn't know. I stand corrected.
It's something I've been doing a lot of reading about, with my current project of blacking out my interior. Swapping in an AP1/1GAP2 wheel is a hell of a lot easier than reupholstering the stock wheel

Also, the easiest way to tell if you have a 1GAP2 or a 2GAP2 wheel is to look at the airbag plug. a 1GAP2 wheel will have a 2 pin plug, whereas a 2GAP2 wheel will have a 3 or 4 pin plug.

Quick Reply: Safety ideas for civic?