Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

safe to paint during rainy season?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safe to paint during rainy season?

im planning on painting my car before the year is over and i was just wondering if its a good idea since it might be raining a lot. my question is does it matter if my car gets rained on within weeks of painting? or am i just scaring myself?
thanks
Old 12-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: safe to paint during rainy season? (ThisLittleSleepeR)

it should be ok.. i had my hood painted one time.. 5 hrs later i was drivin it home and it started to poor.. didnt mess up my paint at all
Old 12-06-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Re: safe to paint during rainy season? (jayare05)

It depends. Are you going to cure the paint using a baker. Or are you doing this in your garage.

If the later is true, then you may encounter problems such as water spots... It depends. Also, humidity will affect the quality of your paint job...

If you are getting it painted in a specialized shop, then it is not a problem.

fs
Old 12-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: safe to paint during rainy season? (filthy_shovel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthy_shovel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It depends. Are you going to cure the paint using a baker. Or are you doing this in your garage.

fs</TD></TR></TABLE>

doesn't need to be baked, it all depends on the paint used. there are production clears that cure rock hard in 90 minutes without being baked in a both. rain will be no issue there. hey, i paint in my garage all the time.

humid weather will increase flash times between coats though.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:14 AM

Default Re: safe to paint during rainy season? (chris c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
there are production clears that cure rock hard in 90 minutes without being baked in a both. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really!

From what paint maker?

What is the name of the product?

DOes it flow nicely, or do you have to thin it alot???

fs

Old 12-06-2004, 11:15 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthy_shovel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It depends. Are you going to cure the paint using a baker. Or are you doing this in your garage.

If the later is true, then you may encounter problems such as water spots... It depends. Also, humidity will affect the quality of your paint job...

fs</TD></TR></TABLE>

This all depends on how much activater they use with the paint, and that usually varies on the brand of paint and the weather. In hot weather, you don't want the paint to dry too fast where as in cold weather, you do. A good shop should know how to do this. If you plan to DIY, then you better do your homework on it.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:17 AM

fs</TD></TR></TABLE>

the shop has a bake room, keep the info coming, sounds like i will be getting an early chrismas this year .
Old 12-06-2004, 11:24 AM

i paint cars at a tech college.
all depends what paint u use and where you do it.
most paint only needs 4 hours to fully dry. aslong as your painting in a good temp. and the paint is fully dry dont worry about the weather it wont affect. just make sure it dry before you decide to go drifting in the snow
Old 12-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: safe to paint during rainy season? (Newman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This all depends on how much activater they use with the paint, and that usually varies on the brand of paint and the weather. In hot weather, you don't want the paint to dry too fast where as in cold weather, you do. A good shop should know how to do this. If you plan to DIY, then you better do your homework on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

best advice yet...
Old 12-06-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re: safe to paint during rainy season? (R33CIVIC)

heres a couple of tips...

first of all paint the car, in an ABSOLUTE DRY AREA. If the floor you paint on is wet, this will affect the paint being sprayed on the car. As the water surrounding the car evaporates, the paint gets mixed in with this moisture and can cause the paint to actually cure before it hits the car.

second, GROUND THE FRAME OF THE CAR. something else that most people dont do. Just get a wire and attach it to the frame then to a ground. This removes all static whatsoever from your car. Should their be static, the dust surrounding the car will get attracted and then you'll end up painting over the dust.

thats all i got for ya...
Old 12-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

matrixsystem.com

Clear MS-47

MS-47 Super Productive Clearcoat
MS-47 cures rocket fast to buff in less then two hours for same day delivery, under real body shop conditions. Using a 3:1:1 mix ratio, this clear delivers a superior high gloss finish in record time. MS-47 is formulated with patented technology to actually cross-link faster, and maintain flexibility without expensive forced drying, unlike any conventional clear.

it's a inexpensive paint but i have had no problems with it.... **** i painted my CJ7 with it for a total of a couple hundred bucks. try pricing out sikkens paint and the primer/sealers alone will run you that....

Old 12-06-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Re: safe to paint during rainy season? (chris c)

thanks for the info, the paint will be PPG.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:31 PM

Default Re: safe to paint during rainy season? (ThisLittleSleepeR)

I am a paint engineer, get a torbedo heater and get the temperature up around 20 hotter inside the garage than outside. You will be lowering the Rh%. I wouldn't chance spraying with garage the same temp as outside if it is raining or damp out.