Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

S2000 seats for your Sol

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 seats for your Sol

When I was looking around and preparing to do this mod to Sunny, I found that there had already been a few how-to's posted about it. Unfortunately, the only ones that had pictures were for conversions to a different car (Civic or Prelude) or the pictures had been lost due to dead links.

Because of this, I decided to remedy this problem when I did the mod by taking a lot of pictures and then creating a PDF file of the how-to with all of the information and pictures to step folks through the job. Anyone can read the file with Adobe Reader (a free download if it's not already on your computer) and it retains the pictures & text as formatted to walk you through the mod.

It really isn't a hard job, and doing it right is much safer than trying to just bolt the S2k seats in without having all of the mounting points attached to the floor (or cutting/bending/welding on the S2k rails) as some have done. Using the del Sol mounting rails and seat pan with the S2k upholstery & seat back gives you as solid a seat platform as you had from the factory with the improved looks & support of the more modern seat design. You can access the write-up via this link. Please let me know if it is useful to you, as I may do other mod write-ups on my Sol mods in the future if this one is well received.

I hope that you find my write-up useful in your decision to make this mod to your Sol, as the results are most definitely worth the effort!

Last edited by Former User; 02-07-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added link to PDF on GoogleDocs
Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 seats for your Sol

Looks good, but where's the write up?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I can't seem to get the attachment to upload now even though it looked like it did when I started to post the thread. Can I get a mod or admin to look into this and either let me send them the file to attach or just delete the thread if that's not possible? There's not much point in the thread without the attached content!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
Looks good, but where's the write up?
I can email it to you directly if you'd like to see it now; don't know why the board indicated it had accepted the upload & then didn't show the attachment when posted. PM me your email & I'll get it headed your way!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't need it, my sols are long gone. Why not just host the pictures on photobucket and type it out on here. I usually just type mine out in word and copy the [ img ] or html codes from photo bucket and save it as a doc file. That way I can just copy and paste and edit whenever needed.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The reason for doing it as a PDF was to retain the pictures and format as written; seen too many write-ups that have lost their pics and don't want to have that happen on mine. Besides, the likelihood of it being edited as a PDF is much less than as text & pic in a doc file. I tried to do it that way at first, but there were too many pictures and the software kept losing the format, hence the conversion to a PDF that retains my content & format as intended.

Even if you don't need it for your use, you're more than welcome to review a copy of it and see what you think. I just wish the board hadn't indicated that it took the attachment before I posted, because I wouldn't have started the thread if I'd known the attachment wouldn't show up.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they look good in there!!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Original post has now been updated with a link to the write-up hosted on GoogleDocs; please reply here if you find it useful and informative! :D
Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I bolded the link to increase its visibility.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just did the S2k seat swap using your instructions and it worked perfectly thanks!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SolLover
I just did the S2k seat swap using your instructions and it worked perfectly thanks!
Glad to hear it! I'm enjoying them myself- had a two hour drive today with my wife & she commented on how much more comfortable the seats were. Hope you enjoy them as much as we are and be sure to send anyone who asks you about the swap to the link so they can see how straight forward it is when you see how to do it!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good write-up NN4S.

Here's what they look like in a white Del Sol:

Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They look like they were made for the car, don't they? If only swapping the S2K steering wheel were as easy... too bad the only "easy" way to do that is to swap out the steering column!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you sitting lower with s2k seats in your del sol? I heard del sol seat are already quite low compare to other seats (dc2 seats for example)?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't compare to anything other than the stock del Sol seats personally, as that's all I've had in the car other than these.

The s2K seats seem to sit a little higher than the stock seats to me, but that's probably because of how tight I stretched the material with the hog rings when I put the s2k upholstery & foam on the Sol pans. It's not much... maybe a half inch at the most. I still believe that they will settle a bit more with wear, but so far they're still nice & tight.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you wasted del sol seats to do this? smh
Old 06-20-2012, 03:19 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll take S200 seats over Del Sol seats any day.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great write up, I just hope I can find this in about a year when I make the change over!

I'm glad you used tons of pictures, and stored it in google docs. There's nothing worse than a write up with a bunch of dead links/pics.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by progekSiR
so you wasted del sol seats to do this? smh
I wouldn't say that- the outside bolster on my driver side seat was shot & both seats had serious wear issues before I found a set of s2k seats cheap enough for me to do the swap ($300 for the pair, but I had to do some serious cleaning on them!).

I expect that if someone had a good set of Sol seats and wanted to do the swap, they wouldn't have any trouble finding a set of dead donor seats that another Sol owner would be willing to swap out so that you could have the lower seat pans and rails to do the swap with.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by timith
Great write up, I just hope I can find this in about a year when I make the change over!

I'm glad you used tons of pictures, and stored it in google docs. There's nothing worse than a write up with a bunch of dead links/pics.
Thanks! I had looked at some other write-ups for things like doing a timing belt change prior to doing mine and was annoyed by the number of them that either had no photos or something else that had nothing to do with the write-up in their place. By doing the write up and formatting everything prior to creating a PDF of it, that problem is eliminated and the entire write-up can be printed out for use at the car with everything still in place where it belongs.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NN4S
I wouldn't say that- the outside bolster on my driver side seat was shot & both seats had serious wear issues before I found a set of s2k seats cheap enough for me to do the swap ($300 for the pair, but I had to do some serious cleaning on them!).

I expect that if someone had a good set of Sol seats and wanted to do the swap, they wouldn't have any trouble finding a set of dead donor seats that another Sol owner would be willing to swap out so that you could have the lower seat pans and rails to do the swap with.
I completely understand if they were shot. My del sol had the fattest hole/rip on the driver side. My old 4dr had black leather s2k seats, picked them up for $400 in mint condition. Should have taken them out when i sold the car
Old 09-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've received PMs recently from folks who couldn't get the link to work. When I checked on it, I found that you had to be logged in to google for it to come up. If you are logged in, the link works fine. I guess they've changed their policies or requirements recently to require logging in for the content.

Anyway, I did check and the info is still there and will come up at the posted link as long as you are logged in. If you're unable to get google to let you in, PM me your email address and I'll be glad to forward a copy of the PDF to you that way.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NN4S
Original post has now been updated with a link to the write-up hosted on GoogleDocs; please reply here if you find it useful and informative! :D
Hi NN4S

I know this is an old post. But could you email me the PDF write up for this swap. The google doc link is not working anymore.

My email is dp.hs2k@gmail.com
Old 10-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don passed away recently. RIP NN4S. Don Trammel has passed away

Here is a link to his write up but it has been published for pay or something now. https://www.scribd.com/doc/80507408/S2k-Seats-in-Sol

I did this a few years ago and it is pretty straight forward from what I remember. You will want to buy some new hog rings and a hog ring crimper tool or hog ring pliers. You can get these at some Ace hardware storets in rural areas or the good old internet. You can skip this step and reuse your old ones but it will be painstaking rebending all those suckers. Some folks just cut and zip tie but I bet in an accident that would be really crappy as the seat pans would cut right through those zip ties.

The gist of it is take the bottom of drivers S2000 seat off, separate the metal seat pan from the pad. Do the same with the drivers del sol seat. Attach the metal del sol pan to the S2000 seat with the hog rings and bolt the bottom rails up to the S2000 top. Then do that for the passenger sides. It's not a half hour job. I did it watching a couple hours of TV over the course of a few days. I'd wear gloves as those hog rings are sharp as all get out. Good luck.

Quick Reply: S2000 seats for your Sol